Looking at the game after I calmed down

Home Forums StateFans Football Looking at the game after I calmed down

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Greywolf
    Participant

Looking at the game after I calmed down and got over myself…

Clemson was in a similar position as we were after their loss to FSU. People who know about this kind of stuff say that practice before the UNC game was not the best, i.e., they were not focused. Their defense was flat verses the boys from Brokeback Hill. They had a true freshman QB who was excited to start his first college game so the “flat factor” wasn’t so in play and he let it all hang out and pitched a six (TD) hitter. Clemson is talented enough to not let being flat stop them. We aren’t there yet.

Our game was set up badly for us. We lost a semi-heartbreaker to FSU. I don’t have any report on practice but I’d bet my hat, ass and overcoat that focus was missing. As Noel said, “We let FSU beat us twice.” After allowing UN* 35 pts., I can well imagine that Clemson defensive coaches were on them like white on rice in practice this past week.

It all went downhill fast for us. Clemson’s quick scores allowed the defense some freedom to let’er rip. The clock run out after an incomplete pass at the end of the half with us on the 6 yard line — our only real chance to score. It was poor clock management to say the least but clock management was the least of our worries.

It has been said that Clemson let up on us. If throwing the deep ball is letting up, I guess they did. We were called for interference on one deep ball and defended a couple of others really well. The defensive line that played the 4th qtr. could start for our and many other teams.

14 of Clemson’s 41 points were defensive points — 1 fumble was returned for a TD and IIRC 1 fumble was recovered inside the 10. I’m not saying we played great, just evaluating how we did actually play. It was disappointing yes. Embarrassing? No. If you are embarrassed, get over it. The team will. If you are going to leave The Carter over it, don’t let the exit gate hit you in the ass.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I turned the game off at half but I am pretty sure I read where Clemson played its seccond string in the second half. That would be calling off the dogs. Note – it is perfectly ok for those kids to fight like mad as they are trying to earn their stripes down the road.

I wasn’t disappointed at all. It was exactly what I expected. Clemson is a top 15 program. We aren’t. That’s very old news. Do I wish we scored? Sure. But it was a loss 99.9% of us saw coming. We are what we are, and Clemson is what they are. There is a reason they are a top 15 program and we aren’t.

Wulfpack
    Participant

“The Carter.” Blech. I know some call it that but you won’t find me using it.

Greywolf
    Participant

I am pretty sure I read where Clemson played its seccond string in the second half. That would be calling off the dogs.

You missed VIC Beasley forcing a fumble and taking it in for a TD at about 9 minutes to go in the 3rd qtr. Watson threw 3 or 4 deep balls trying to score. So apparently they didn’t call the dogs off until a little after that.

If I sound annoyed at your attempt to minimize what little success State had, I guess I am. Watson and Williams both played in the second half but managed just a field goal. As a matter of fact that’s all that Clemson’s 1st or 2nd string offense managed to get in the 2nd half. But you shouldn’t be expected to know that since you bailed at the half. Just curious, did you see the come back vs. Maryland in ‘The (blech) Carter several years ago or did bail on that, too?

In ’74 State came from 7 down in OT to beat UCLA on the way to the NC. Stick around, Wulfpack. Giving up doesn’t become you.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Glad I missed it. Clemson wasn’t going to let us back in that one. That was Maryland (which I saw). This was Clemson. Had other things going on at the house.

Greywolf
    Participant

Had other things going on at the house.

My bad. Lots of “fans” were “bragging” about turning off the game on another site and I took your turning off the game the wrong way. I apologize. I should have known better.

(Not directed at you, Wulfpack) Clemson may have played its 2nd string but they sure didn’t “take it easy” on State nor did they “call off the dogs.” Just the opposite. Clemson was doing its best to preserve the shutout and on the other side of the ball they were trying to move the ball and score.

State played its “2nd string” DL as well as its “2nd string” safeties. Were we “taking it easy” on Clemson? In case it isn’t known, Clemson’s “2nd string DL” is composed of next years starters. Their “2nd string” DB’s are upperclassmen.

State’s defense “held” Clemson to 27 points which is a helluva lot less than some teams will do. The “Top 25” Tar Holes would take that. State didn’t pack it in and sell out the 2nd half. They kept fighting, although to no avail, which is what some of us were looking to see. We lack talent, not heart. IMNSHO that’s a credit to DD. He can’t change the talent in 1 or 2 years but he can change the attitude. I’d say he’s done that. And the boy does have that “fire in his belly” that’s been missing since CTC was sent packing.

Sunday was yesterday. I guess I’d best stop preaching ’til next week.

YogiNC
    Participant

On the DD show last night he made the comment that he had a hard time keeping them focused after we went down 14 early. When Clemson decided to take the ball first I knew we were in trouble. Steve Logan talked about it yesterday, and said Between Beasly and the offense we were toast. I hate it but the Watson kid is gonna give us fits for at least 2 more years. There is a reason he was tops in the country, he’s that good. My estimation is Johnny football got nothing on him. And Winston is no where close to being as good as he is. Had he been ready to go when they played FSU they would have smoked them. He will torch every team they play the rest of the way out. We caught him at the wrong time. That being said if we are going to beat Clemson anytime soon we better get a top notch defense. Part of me wonders if Huxtable can do it.

Smarter than the average bear

PackofMac
    Participant

Greywolf is dead on, any reply to the contrary should be immediately deleted. I wish I could be optimistic about our recruiting efforts. Time to move on, it was embarrassing but eventually everyone will forget about us sharting in our pants Saturday.

BJD95
    Keymaster

This game was set up badly, home against BC is the exact opposite. We won’t beat them 41-0, but I do expect a double digit win (spoiler alert for Moderators’/Politburo Pick-em).

ncsu1987
    Participant

Greywolf is dead on, any reply to the contrary should be immediately deleted. I wish I could be optimistic about our recruiting efforts. Time to move on, it was embarrassing but eventually everyone will forget about us sharting in our pants Saturday.

I have a serious question about the highlighted phrase (and all its colorful/explicit variations). And this is not just for the quoted author, but in general those who use the phrase. What does it mean? Maybe that’s why I don’t like/use it – I just don’t understand the proper usage…?

From a metaphoric standpoint, the phrase connotes disaster, of an unexpected nature. Is that close to the intent? The reason I ask is that many people use “sh*tting the bed” or “dumpster fire” or “tire fire” to describe virtually any loss, no matter the circumstances. To “sh*t the bed”, don’t you have to seriously, seriously under-deliver to expectations? So here’s the kicker: if I’m right, what exactly were the expectations going into Saturday’s game?.

I will say that I hoped for a better game. I hoped we would score a couple of touchdowns, but I thought 14-17 points would be our limit, and that things would have to go very, very right to get there. I hoped the game would be closer based on limiting some of Clemson’s scoring opportunities. I hoped many things, but I didn’t expect any of them.

And, for the record, Greywolf IS dead on. My only real complaint from the entire game is the inexcusable (at least to my understanding) clock management at the end of the half.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I thought that the results of the game were embarrassing, but not unexpected.

I hoped many things, but I didn’t expect any of them.

This about sums up my expectations for NC State athletics. Consider this sentence stolen.

PackofMac
    Participant

i just simply meant an embarrassing moment, and if analyzed scrutinized the game really shouldn’t be an embarrassment. But the fact that we got man handled all over the field and looked like crap I think on some level every one of us was a bit embarrassed. That’s all I meant, the embarrassment factor of “sharting” your pants which by your masterful explanation you clearly understand what it means.

ncsu1987
    Participant

^Fair enough, really hadn’t thought about the “embarrassment” factor. Getting blanked is embarrassing any time I guess, regardless of expectations. Thanks for the response.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.