Let’s Break it Down

Home Forums All StateFansNation Let’s Break it Down

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

RE: GOTT && Company…

Much has been said about the gameplan. Nothing to add to that.

But I would like to emphasize two things I’ve not read elsewhere …
    ——————-

This was Lacey, Abu and Martin14 ‘s first trip to the Dean Dome. Could any of them have played better? Yes. But all things considered, we have seen a whole lot of good and better players have worst first games in the Dean Dome and in Carmichael over the years.

They were as mentally prepared as possible.

The secret trip over Monday evening for an extended shootaround might have been the key to this….
    ——————–

Coaches make their ingame reads and decisions just as fast and as often as players do… Some nights, the Coach is sharp and some night he’s not…

Wednesday night…. GOTT && Company GOTT it right, as good or better than any game they’ve coached at State.

Uncle Roy, on the other hand, came out tired and flat, and never GOTT his head in the game in a position where he had the upper hand.

GOTT pitched a shutout… Uncle Roy never GOTT the bat off his shoulder and was called out looking every time he stepped up to the plate.

Uncle Roy was choking the tears during his postgame presser.
    ———————

I just hope somebody gave Coach a game ball…. for mental preparation …

GOTT and Uncle Roy meet again for Round Three in just a couple of weeks…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    McCallum
    Participant

The key point is that I did not watch the game.

Apex is the peak of good living from what I hear. Lots of immoral ex-Lutherans turned Methodist in them parts.

McCallum

1 AD (after dean)

MP
    Participant

^ Pardon the interruption, but the key point to who? Or what?

Nice posts BOTB. It does feel like Round 3 is inevitable.

Fastback68
    Participant

UNX, then UVA, then Duke. Try buying ACCT books through Clemson and BC as they are courtside per the Greensboro stadium color chart but don’t trust my eyes. There are four shades of red.

87stategrad
    Participant

I just watched it again. I loved this early-game quote by Dan Bonner, “They’re not going to beat this North Carolina team by just dribbling the ball around and taking a shot at the end of the shot clock”

McCallum
    Participant

Key point is to grasp the implied mental state of most State fans (alumni in truth, State has no “fans”) when it comes to sports.

Classic paranoia and narcissism would be the best way to describe it, constantly on the edge of doom only to be pushed over the edge by checking a score, changing routine, or hoping for the best. That may be a mental state which has changed in Raleigh due to the xx chromosome being at such a high percentage since the gals are always beating the drum of good feelings and hope.

So no, I did not watch the game and State won. State won in football x number of years in a row and would have continued the streak had not my wife yelled the score to me from the veranda only to then say “oh……..unc just ran a punt back for a touchdown”.

Does that explain it or were you born after 1980?

McCallum

1 AD (after dean)

McCallum
    Participant

Dan Bonner, classic el deano and unc fellater.

McCallum

1 AD (after dean)

tractor57
    Participant

I like Bonner (nick named Boo Boo years ago for his odd personality and the horse grin). What he said was true dribble and heave was not the way to win. As it turned out tempo control which meant going deep into the shot clock then making a solid offensive move was.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I just watched it again. I loved this early-game quote by Dan Bonner, “They’re not going to beat this North Carolina team by just dribbling the ball around and taking a shot at the end of the shot clock”

I don’t think Bonner understood that Cat dribbles so much because at any moment he might decide to blow by the entire defense for a layup. It’s like when you’re playing Frogger and you see that all of the gaps are going to be where you need them in 3…2…1…

MP
    Participant

“oh……..unc just ran a punt back for a touchdown”

Ha, yes. My better half and I were discussing last night how sweet the win was on Tuesday – considering all the crushing defeats we have witnessed. At the time I was thinking of last February when TJW hit the free throw to put us ahead I said to her out loud “We just lost” – Then watched Paige drive the floor and beat us. [She was impressed, I think.]

But you bring up another wonderful memory. We were in Kenan that day… and not in the “State section”.

BJD95
    Keymaster

A big part of Cat’s game is his insane ability to accelerate/decelerate on a dime. It’s almost like a video game, and he uses it to create windows for a shot or a pass late in the shot clock, or on the break.

It’s a real weapon in our offense. Makes us insanely hard to defend.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I know I already posted this in the ‘Bball miscellany’ thread – so forgive me for re-posting here … it’s just too funny not to.

Thank goodness we get a much different outcome when Cat drives:

pakfanistan
    Participant

That right there is why coaches lay awake at night wondering where in their life they went wrong.

Maybe I should have gone to law school…..maybe I should have dumped my high school girlfriend sooner…..maybe I shouldn’t have sold my Trans Am…

MrPlywood
    Participant

The secret trip over Monday evening for an extended shootaround might have been the key to this…

I meant to comment on that. Is that a usual occurrence? I don’t remember hearing about anything of the sort, I imagine it had to be with permission from the Holes.

I’m assuming that Norman Dale had something to do with it…

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^I believe teams have a right to do that, but I haven’t looked it up.

For instance, if Duke wanted to come practice at PNC on Friday prior to a Saturday game then State/PNC would be obligated to make that happen. Of course there’s the whole ‘hockey’ aspect that figures in there.

It’s similar to the Pack practicing at Conte Forum today (BC) b/c of travel and logistics.

We should look that up …

Texpack
    Participant

Hoosiers is the greatest sports movie of all time. My heart rate went up without even playing the clip.

BJD95
    Keymaster

It’s really, really good.

I really like “The Natural,” “Eight Men Out,” and in a deep sleeper pick “Long Gone” because movies and baseball go really well together. Sort of like how football and movies largely do NOT.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

White Boys Cant Jump.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^^I saw ‘Draft Day’ the other day … really not that bad. Not at all believable, but entertaining.

Pack78
    Participant

But what about ‘Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings’?

Since74
    Participant

Thread was better when it was about the game. Die Hard was a pretty good movie. No sports in it but not a bad team motto.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Gary Cooper playing Lou Gehrig in black and white…

Since74
    Participant

Still think Thad Matta looks like Gene Hackman.

redcanine
    Participant

Best Song from a Sports Movie…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vNFft6r6Des

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Best Song from a Sports Movie…

^Sixty Minute Man …
    from Bull Durham

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.