Let the hand slapping begin on the Hill

Home Forums All StateFansNation Let the hand slapping begin on the Hill

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    PackofMac
    Participant

UNC has been place on probation for a year by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Seems fair, 18 (plus) years of complete academic fraud and thousands and thousands of students attending completely fake classes. I suppose for this organization to suspend someones accreditation a school would have to….well basically not be from Chapel Hill. To me this was the best shot to really hurt the turds on the hill, a group with no ties to athletics and one that shouldn’t be impressed with UNC’s history and reputation on the athletic fields. Any of you holding out for the implosion of UNC may need to focus your time and energy on other things.

tractor57
    Participant

On the local radio news “paper classes going back for decades” – maybe the issue is finally gaining some traction.
    Even if the penalty is double secret probation for 12 months.

TheCOWDOG

That was no hand slap.
    That was a kidney punch.

A Marciano type kidney punch.

…And there’s a good ten rounds to go.

highstick
    Participant

Did you say “Bitch Slapping”???

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Texpack
    Participant

More than anything else was the statement from SACS that this was unlike any case they had ever seen before. They don’t throw around probation to major universities. The independent bodies that look at this are providing everyone with some perspective on the scope, sophistication, complicity, and duration of the fraud at the hole. It’s becoming increasingly difficult to play the “everybody does it” card even with the previously uneducated. The one remaining piece of the humiliation puzzle is to force ESPN to give this story coverage in proportion to it’s seriousness.

The financial irregularities cited by SACS could bring a major turdfest to the flagship that will make Marvin’s free Popsicles in Miami the most expensive act of stupidity in the history of higher education.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

The below link from an ABC 11 News story will take you to Carol Folt’s response to the SACS probation:

Message from Chancellor Carol Folt
    What a bunch of BS. She’s all in too.

The University has worked very hard and in complete good faith to provide the Commission with an expansive range of information to demonstrate our compliance with the Commission’s principles, standards and requirements. We have the utmost confidence in our present compliance and in the effectiveness of the many reforms implemented in recent years and will embrace the opportunity during the one-year period of probation to prove that even further. We owe that to the University’s rich and revered history, to our current students, faculty and staff and indeed to the entire Carolina community.

TheCOWDOG

What else can she say? We know why she was hired in the first place.

When was the last time y’all heard a public, “We fuc#ed up, really bad” from anyone?

…About any thing.

Other than a few of us last holdouts.

WTNY
    Participant

PackOfMac:

From other posts, the steps are: 1) Accredited 2) Warning 3) Probation 4) Remove Accreditation

You can go from 1 to 3, like just happened to UNC-Ch, but you can’t go directly from 1 to 4.

As I understand it, skipping the Warning phase is a big deal.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

So, does that mean that as long as they don’t screw up any over the next year nothing happens?

TheCOWDOG, I get that they’re not just going to stand there gloomily and publicly feel bad about it. I get that she has to say what she’s saying; that’s her job. The part that irks me is how they still throw out words like “rich and revered” despite all of this. It’s like Cinderella talking about how she’s a rich princess after she’s been exposed as a poor maid. Or someone standing there talking about their lovely new fragrance of perfume when everyone knows she’s covered in crap. But, to their point, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Their PR has been great so far. Why not keep it up. Hopefully we’ll see some PR-busters in the not too distant future.

DrWuffette1day
    Participant

Probation is the one of the worst consequences that could happen to the university- a large public, politically-embraced university. They can’t exactly shut down the institution but they have put them on notice. It’s also a wonderful way for faculty members to become more vocal. Their lifelong work has been harmed. I’m taken back to perceived wrongs of NC State in the 80’s too.

I would hope even with the administration suppression, discontentment rains. Their reputation and brand has taken a HUGE hit. This is a real big deal in the academic community and a point of pride. That should force changes from the inside. Folt is a puppet given the way that she handled Willingham and must have hurt her credibility among the faculty. SACS investigation in 2012 but she was likely part of that process (she had to have been aware) and was definitely part of the 2014 re-investigation.

What’s interesting is that SACS recognizes forthrightly that UNX was less than honest with them and announced that to the world. SACS is NOT the NCAA. They are a much more serious organization and you don’t play games with accreditation- the university lifeline. An entire department (at UNX its likely plural) and a gazillion committees are dedicated just to SACS activities.

I did some extra reading on it trying to find out when the accreditation was last granted and ran across this article. A professor at a small college wrote this academic trade publication’s Op-Ed. Check out the comment section…interesting perspectives. http://chronicle.com/blogs/conversation/2014/10/24/unc-chapel-hill-should-lose-accreditation/

“I have little interest in whatever penalties the NCAA chooses to impose upon Chapel Hill’s athletics programs or that the university chooses to impose upon itself. As I said, this is not fundamentally an issue about sports but about the basic academic integrity of an institution. Any accrediting agency that would overlook a violation of this magnitude would both delegitimize itself and appear hopelessly hypocritical if it attempted, now or in the future, to threaten or sanction institutions—generally those with much less wealth and influence—for violations much smaller in scale.

Most of us work very hard to conform to the standards imposed by our regional accrediting agencies and the federal government. If falsified grades and transcripts for more than 3,000 students over more than a decade are viewed as anything other than an egregious violation of those standards, my response to the whole accreditation process is simple: Why bother?”

newclass
    Participant

This proves that the corruption was institution wide.. not in just one area like UNC was trying to say. this is a precursor.

WTNY
    Participant

Thank you DrWuffette1Day for the detail.

Texpack
    Participant

I’d say the “Public Ivy” just got sprayed with a little Roundup.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

You would think, more than anyone else at UNC, the Chancellor would stand up for the academic integrity of the school. She has shown herself to be another mouth piece for the UNC PR machine. When the faculty finally finds their ballsack, hopefully they’ll send her packing too for her role in the continued cover-up, deflection and denial.

The other thing I’ve been wondering about is all those un-earned degrees. Wouldn’t SACs be wanting UNC to recall those in order to preserve the integrity of the degrees granted for those students who were in “real” classes. Some of the athletes were said to have taken as many of five of the AM paper classes. If they were given a diploma, that amounts to a whole semester’s worth of class work they didn’t have to do. All of this is just wrong on so many levels. Glad I’m not holding a degree from there. After this, the legitimacy of it will forever be questioned. There in lies the second group of folks, after the professors, who should really be pissed.

Still waiting for law enforcement to get engaged for the fraud perpetrated on the tax payers. Not the NC ones, but all of U.S. since a lot of Federal dollars pass them through grants.

Time is on our side. This ball started rolling very slowing and is finally finding some traction.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Annnnnd cue the gnashing of teeth over the “innocents” whose education and diplomas are now and/or would be tainted by the actions of their university should unx lose accreditation. Cry me a river. Your university chose to go down this path, time to pay the price. The ironic thing is that while many fanboys think that their “it’s not an athletic issue, it’s an academic issue” mantra and will keep their fake legacy intact, the fact is that the academic prong and related aspects could prove to be much more serious issues.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

^ That’s the conclusion I came to right away when this first broke. I thought surely the faculty will not let this drag down the entire University but that’s exactly what they’ve allowed to happen. Time to pay the piper. I guess a cover-up is sort of like mission creep – See tricky Dick Nixon.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

Actually, there are a lot of similarities between Watergate and the UNC Academic/Athletic Scandal. You have the advisors who were the like the plumbers getting the job done, you got Mary “Deep Throat” passing along tips to Dan Kane as Woodward or Berstein and others. I can picture the other Watergate players but its been so many years I can’t recall the names. This would be a fun game to match all the key Watergate figures with the current cast of characters on the Hill.

PackofMac
    Participant

Appreciate the education! Should have done my “googling” and research prior to posting. I get it and it all makes sense, however if this is not a case to revoke or suspend a schools accreditation, if this isn’t a one in a billion case to skip steps 1-3 there never will be one. That’s really all I was saying.

TheCOWDOG

No…not really. How could one discredit the Med school? The Burn Center(I’m a graduate from there) Cancer…many other schools of…

No. The loss of accredidation belongs to one entity, and one entity only.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Glad I’m not holding a degree from there. After this, the legitimacy of it will forever be questioned.

Only if you were an athlete.

highstick
    Participant

http://cdn3.volusion.com/tmses.cnjyr/v/vspfiles/photos/roundup-poisonivy-2.jpg

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

WolftownVA81
    Participant

packfanistan Wrote:

From the ribbing standpoint, they will all take some grieve. However, anyone that took a single AFAM class and has that on their transcript is subject to questions about if a future employer or Grad School admissions person choses to look at the details of what they took while an undergrad.

4in12
    Participant

Didn’t they go out of their way to prove that the paper classes were open to all students?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.