Just Another PRE-game thread….

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Just Another PRE-game thread….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK… so the Kids are back on the hardwood this afternoon at 3:00pm…

Who knows what to expect ???

Call me CLUELESS, ’cause I don’t have a f’ing clue….
    so I’m gonna watch the game just to find out AND to pull hard for our Kids….

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    McCallum
    Participant

Call me not watching.

I think there is a Tupperware convention or something in town.

McCallum

McCallum
    Participant

Hey bill,

Do you watch State because:

1) it is a habit?
    2) you love the school that much?
    3) are a loser and have no leaves to rake in the yard?
    4) you thrive on failure?

I’m interested in the mind set of a masochist.

You can’t be enjoying what you are watching.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

To be honest… None of the above…

It’s really pretty simple…

First, I enjoy watching the Kids… their mistakes, their successes, their ‘growing up’ on the court or not, their coming together as a team or not… all of it… over the course of a season or a career…

Second, I like watching the keys to the game and the predictive nature of the chess match that ensues between the Coaches and opposing players…

The two combined are why I think it’s often said that in sports we often find poetry, drama, sacrifice and redemption…

The bonus these days with NCState is that you never know what’s going to happen next…

McCallum
    Participant

I see the prose you are trying to put together but in reality it is more like the grand opening of a Roses store in north Asheboro in 1975.

Sounds great, looks good, excitement in the air etc until WC Nooe takes a dump in the middle of the parking lot.

True story.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^I spent most of my sixty plus years on one side or the other of Hwy 49, just North of Randolph County…

To each his own…

Mac… You know…
    Life is a marathon, not a sprint…

For the rest of ya’ll…
    If you’re young… understand that, it will save you a lot of headaches….
    If are an Old Wolf… I’m very sorry for boring you with the obvious….

Either way…. cynicism is early death.

-BOTB

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I hope that sarcasm isn’t life threatening

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I hope that sarcasm isn’t life threatening

McCallum
    Participant

Know the area well. In fact just after you leave Ramseur heading east and take Hwy 49 toward Liberty there was an old shack on the right with “Weber State 76 unc 74” sprayed painted on the side.

Just before you cross Whites Chapel Rd, I think.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

@ McCallum… in that case, get back in your truck and drive 25 miles North on 49 and get out and get you a good hotdog at Zacks… after that get back on 49 North and go another 25 miles, when you go down the hill and cross the creek, you’ll be in the middle of the three old family plantations… just call me before you leave home….

@ VaWolf, et al …

“Surgeon General’s Warning: Prolonged sarcasm may lead to cynicism, which may, in turn, lead to serious side effects, including loss of friends, physical violence, or prolonged death.”

Sarcasm may also be the perfect antidote to the littlebluepill’s fourhourerection….

McCallum
    Participant

I stopped eating at Zack’s after I found out he was a unc fan.

Hmmmm…..sounds like you are from up around Prospect Hill.

Ever go in the old store there? Spiral stair case, post office was in there and the place is locked in time.

Do you know Harry Stanfield?

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

MacCALLUM… we might need to talk on another channel…

My Grandfather’s Grandfather’s built that damn store…
    and you’re right if you’re thinking there’s a 12pack of stories behind that…

Is Harry you’re ex father in law, the one you wanted to smack? [just kidding, sarcasm, va wolf…]

Stanfield, not named Harry, was married to one my Grandmothers Aunt’s or great Aunts [— damn, idk, it’s Sat. nite and I looking that sh#t up! —]

btw, Dr. Dog & I might be cuzs, about 7 or 10 generations back… [idk…]

McCallum
    Participant

I knew Harry through business connections. Harry took me into that building back in 01-02, I thought the world of Harry but lost all contact with him about 11 years ago.

Very interesting story: I’m a freshman at State. I’m watching WRAL news and they are running a story about the principal at East Wake High School pulling a gun on some students. The principle is being interviewed and he has on a white cowboy hat and a shiny NASCAR jacket.

The story slips into my memory since I have no reason to care.

Move up to 01-02. I meet Harry and we are talking history, politics, agriculture, etc and I ask him what he did in education.

“Principal” he says.

“Where” I ask.

“East Wake” he says.

“When did you retire, why did you retire?”, I ask.

“We there was a volleyball practice and some boys were drinking and went into the girls dressing room. One of the girls came to find someone and she found me and told me what was happening.” Harry said.

“Well what did you do?” I asked.

“There were 5 of them and they said they’d whip my a$$ so I said come on out to the parking and see what you can do.” Harry continued, “They didn’t realize I had a shotgun behind the seat of my truck so when we got out there they started toward me and I pulled the gun. One of the little a$$holes crapped in his pants and they ran.”

Now my deep memory is kicking in.

“I saw you on WRAL 12-13 years ago, you had on a white cowboy hat”.

And Harry said, ” and a shiny NASCAR jacket”.

“Hell yes”, I said.

“Held my news conference at the Knightdale fertilizer dealership and would have gotten away with it if one of those little chicken sh.its hadn’t told his momma.”

Hell’va story.

I was reading a book on Danville Harry gave me the other day.

Yes bill, I know everyone.

McCallum

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.