Jameis Winston Screws Up Yet Again

Home Forums StateFans Football Jameis Winston Screws Up Yet Again

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

This kid just will never learn:

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston has been suspended for the first half of Saturday’s game against Clemson after he was seen shouting an obscene sexual phrase on campus Tuesday, the latest incident in which his off-field behavior has created problems for the team.

FSU interim president Garnett S. Stokes and athletic director Stan Wilcox denounced Winston’s “offensive and vulgar” behavior in a statement Wednesday to announce the punishment.

StateRed44
    Participant

Sorry but this is PC run amok. He can rape, steal, whatever but don’t call someone a name. Aw hayul naw you dint!!!! LOL bull crap of highest order.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Can’t disagree that there is a PC component to this. But at the same time, he’s a meathead if he doesn’t realize how harshly this would be viewed given his recent history (he is and he doesn’t), and thus needs a wake up call. Not that I think sitting one half of a game will be anything life changing for him.

I cringe at what might happen when he’s in the league and money is no object. At least he’ll be able to afford crab legs then.

Wulfpack
    Participant

He stood up in the student union and began yelling obscenities. Not really understanding the whole “PC” argument here. Even Jimbo basically said the kid was an idiot and needs to learn to behave like a true leader does.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Yeah, I’d love for someone to explain the PC angle of this.

He has a history of poor decision making and they’re probably just sick of his crap.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Here’s the article where you can find what he said. Click on the link within the article. There’s nothing PC police-y about this. Just stupidity.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye-on-college-football/24712971/jameis-winston-suspended-for-half-vs-clemson-over-obscenity-incident

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I agree that it’s not PC to call this stupid. That was a really dumb thing to do. He deserves to be slapped upside the head or something. I can see where a PC element would be blamed when it comes to any type of suspension. Is being stupid suspension-worthy? At the same time I can see the university’s position: this is a high-profile guy who, at the moment, is the biggest representative of the university. Sometimes stupid has to carry a higher consequence.

Wufpacker
    Participant

It’s not PC police-y to have a problem with what he said, especially considering the utterings were public. But the suspension for a half is motivated by his previous behavior, and the compounding effect this has, reflecting poorly on Jimbo’s program. Thus, as I said, a PC component to this.

As you’ll note, in not so many words I also said he had it coming, etc. My comment at least (can’t/won’t speak for SR44), and my use of the phrase “PC component” was not necessarily intended to be a disapproval of said action.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

He has a history of poor decision making and they’re probably just sick of his crap.

Rock meet hard place.

Jameis will be playing in a jersey of a different color… next season… in the National Fools Leaque.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    ancsu87
    Participant

I think if they were “really” tired of his crap they would have cut ties with him as an “employee” after this incident. The PC angle is the half-game suspension. They either need to tell everyone that he is an important employee and nothing will happen to him or cut ties with him. Simple as that. The 1/2 game suspension is meaningless. Next time it is 3 quarters suspension? Maybe suspend him the first quarter of three games???

pakfanistan
    Participant

I think if they were “really” tired of his crap they would have cut ties with him as an “employee” after this incident.

They’re sick of his crap, they’re not sick of winning.

StateRed44
    Participant

An official “suspension” for yelling obscenities? Let the coach bench him at his discretion and forget about the false set of standards that are made up on the fly. Is he an embarrassment? Immensely. But Jimbo Fisher better make sure he doesn’t have a “lip reading” episode next time the cameras are on him.

pakfanistan
    Participant

An official “suspension” for yelling obscenities? Let the coach bench him at his discretion and forget about the false set of standards that are made up on the fly. Is he an embarrassment? Immensely. But Jimbo Fisher better make sure he doesn’t have a “lip reading” episode next time the cameras are on him.

He wasn’t suspended for yelling obscenities. I guarantee you if he had done in a closed practice, in front of coaches, nothing would have been done, other than maybe some running.

He’s being punished for choosing to yell obscenities while standing on a table in the middle of campus. It’s like real estate. Location, location, location.

Actually, he’s probably being punished for this because he wasn’t really punished for the rape charges, or the shoplifting. If those other things weren’t swirling around, we probably would have gotten a statement from Jimbo about kids being kids and teaching Jameis to make better decisions, and that he really is a fine young man with a bright future.

Wufpacker
    Participant

He wasn’t suspended for yelling obscenities. I guarantee you if he had done in a closed practice, in front of coaches, nothing would have been done, other than maybe some running.

He’s being punished for choosing to yell obscenities while standing on a table in the middle of campus. It’s like real estate. Location, location, location.

Obviously, you now agree that there’s a PC component motivating the actions of the suspension. 😉

pakfanistan
    Participant

Obviously, you now agree that there’s a PC component motivating the actions of the suspension. ;)

Not to be pedantic but….

Via Google:

political correctness: The avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

In my opinion, what’s happening here doesn’t fit that definition, primarily because I think the ‘punishment’ has more to do with where he said it than what he said. If he had jumped up on the table and mooned everybody, I think the reaction would have been the same.

Greywolf
    Participant

Off the subject but I wonder what percentage of 5 star & 4 star recruits in NC are eliminated from NC State recruiting lists because of this kind of thing or advisements from their HS coaches? Or grades? Or is it that we don’t have this in NC?

Wufpacker
    Participant

So, not to be argumentative (because sincerely, at this point I’m really only doing this for good-natured banter fwiw), but…

You wouldn’t agree that Jimbo’s decision to suspend is an effort to help Jameis see the need to avoid future extreme outbursts of expression which might be perceived to insult certain groups of the public, either who are, or who view themselves to be disadvantaged or discriminated against?

FWIW, I fully agree that the punishment has everything to do with where he said it. In my view, that is precisely why there is a PC component (though again, not saying it’s a bad thing necessarily, nor that Jameis didn’t have it coming).

pakfanistan
    Participant

So, not to be argumentative (because sincerely, at this point I’m really only doing this for good-natured banter fwiw), but…

It’s all good, contrary to popular belief, I don’t mind civil discourse.

You wouldn’t agree that Jimbo’s decision to suspend is an effort to help Jameis see the need to avoid future extreme outbursts of expression which might be perceived to insult certain groups of the public, either who are, or who view themselves to be disadvantaged or discriminated against?

FWIW, I fully agree that the punishment has everything to do with where he said it. In my view, that is precisely why there is a PC component (though again, not saying it’s a bad thing necessarily, nor that Jameis didn’t have it coming).

I totally get what you’re saying, which is why I chose mooning as an example.

I think the core of why (I think) it’s not PC is connotation, i.e. avoidance taken to extremes. There’s nothing particularly extreme about expecting someone to display better judgement.

Wulfpack
    Participant

He’s being punished for choosing to yell obscenities while standing on a table in the middle of campus.

He is a Heisman Trophy, national championship winning QB, with a long wrap sheet. He was accused of rape, and he is now shouting these obscenities. Said it before, not the sharpest tool in the shed.

And the NFL execs are playing close attention.

pakfanistan
    Participant

He is a Heisman Trophy, national championship winning QB, with a long wrap sheet. He was accused of rape, and he is now shouting these obscenities. Said it before, not the sharpest tool in the shed.

And the NFL execs are playing close attention.

Relevant:

Dummy.

Wufpacker
    Participant

It’s all good, contrary to popular belief, I don’t mind civil discourse.

Yes, I knew you knew the difference. My caveat was more for others who might choose to jump in and defend my latest advocacy of the devil. Sadly, my urge to call you a ‘stinking PC liberal who wants the terrorists to win’ has passed. 😉

I totally get what you’re saying, which is why I chose mooning as an example.

See above.
    But even mooning might overly offend those who are buttock-phobic, thus your point is moot.

Texpack
    Participant

Suspension increased to include the entire game against Klempson.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Suspension increased to include the entire game against Klempson.

Good for FSU.

redcanine
    Participant

That was the worst apology I’ve ever heard in my life. Jameis can’t even say “I’m sorry” without that no-big-deal smirk on his face. He’s as annoying as they come.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Surprised no one has commented on last night’s game……

Personally, I think that EVERY State fan was (should) have been pulling for FSU. AS much as I hate the War Chant….I think that I did it while watching the game. Got home from CF in time to see the last half or so…..caught up a little on the “shenanigans”

FIRST….JW of Suspended Fame “DRESSED” out….Full pad and Helmet. Came out (Supposedly) and started warm-up’s. Like….HEY, when WE (FSU) gets behind….Coach will call the Prez and say…..OK…put in JW. Maybe JW was partying on Friday night and did not get the tweet that he was suspended for the ENTIRE game. Whatever….I understand that Jimbo was LESS than happy with his choice of sideline attire and banished him to the locker room for a wardrobe “change”. Maybe he had on his Suit pants with his jersey and ball cap.

Second….FSU appeared to be in a fog during the first half. JW did (supposedly) a half time speech and motivated them. Maybe he promised them free soft drinks or a crab leg feast…..whatever HE or maybe Jimbo said….FSU did come out and march down the field.

Then after FSU evened it up, they appeared to have old MO….until the back-up QB threw the pick. Give the kid credit….he did a pretty good job and the tipped pass was not totally his fault. BUT, remember, JW was the number 1 HS QB pick of the nation….he was ONLY #12, so it was not like putting in your kid sister….

BUT the play, or maybe one of them, OF THE GAME was Clemson coughing up the ball on the three down RUN series to get the ball a little closer to the goal for the winning FG. Admittedly, the Clemson kicker is NOT money in the bank. He muffed two….I only saw one. He is not Mr. Automatic. SO, FSU gets the ball. Jimbo then has this REVELATION. PLAY FOR THE TIE….win in OT.

FSU wins the toss….goes on D. Clemson plays it conservatively…..right up until the shotgun snap clears the QB by 5 ft and he finally covers it about 15 yds back. THEN they have a 4 and 1 (which is closer to 4th and one FOOT. DaBO elects to RUN rather than test the mettle of his kicker….and they are STOPPED.

FSU seems bent on a ground game….supposedly (or so thinks the Clemson D)…. OVER the middle….end around (Left) sweep….6 Pts. JimBO wins the BO Bowl……wonder if BO Jangles has a Special JW Discount on a Crab Leg Biscuit and Sweet Tea?

Personally, I have NEVER been a JimBO fan…..as I can barely TOLERATE the Noles. BUT, I have to hand it to JimBO. He outcoached DaBO. AS in, he figured out HOW to make the running back fumble. Sort of, like Jimmy V. said, Dean Smith outcoaching John Thompson in 1982. Fred Brown mistook James Worthy for GT’s Eric Smith…..then faked a pass to Sleppy Floyd and threw the ball to Worthy….and UNC got the Title that year. SO, JimBO outcoached DaBO…

I did hear a cheer from West Raleigh….which I assume came from the Murphy Center. Looking forward to Saturday….at least FSU is coming off a win….as fortuitous as it might be….instead of carrying a loser’s grudge.

Did I mention that the light blue Smurfette’s are playing UNX next week. The SAME UNX that had several of their “WORST…Fill in the Blank…Records shattered by the Purple Party’ers yesterday. YES, it WAS a sweet day.

My wife even put out the Purple bath towels that I had almost burned (NEW…in the box) as UPS delivered them on the Monday after our “ugly” loss to them last fall. She said that she did NOT do it on purpose….YEAH RIGHT….that lady is evil…and I know….after 49 years of marriage…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.