J.J. Hickson Suspended Five Games By NBA

Home Forums StateFans Basketball J.J. Hickson Suspended Five Games By NBA

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    modobrew
    Participant

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234924/JJ-Hickson-Suspended-Five-Games-By-NBA-For-Violating-Anti-Drug-Program

Not sure what the drug was, but hope it’s nothing more than wacky tobacky.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Those Colorado heathens are all going straight to hell.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Our stance toward drug use is insane.

If it was pot, he’s being suspended for partaking in a legal substance (in Colorado).

They wouldn’t suspend a player for drinking, unless he showed up drunk to practice or a game. Why treat any other legal substance differently.

Heck, if I ran the NFL, I’d encourage pot use. It’s hard to beat your wife and kids when you’re staring into the refrigerator for the 47th time, or zoned out scrolling through Netflix looking for Half Baked.

Mike
    Participant

The NBA is full of wacky tobacky – they do not suspend for pot. For an NBA suspension it has to be something more lethal and dangerous.

Wufpacker
    Participant

The NBA is full of wacky tobacky – they do not suspend for pot. For an NBA suspension it has to be something more lethal and dangerous.

They do if you’re chronic with the chronic…

A five-game suspension typically indicates a third positive test for marijuana under the NBA’s testing protocol, but no official or unofficial indication of the reason for Hickon’s violation has been reported or announced.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24713343/jj-hickson-suspended-five-games-for-violation-of-nba-anti-drug-policy

tjfoose1
    Participant

Our stance toward drug use is insane.

If it was pot, he’s being suspended for partaking in a legal substance (in Colorado).

MLB, NBA, and the NFL all suspend players for testing positive for substances that are legal in all 57 states.

Half the products in GNC will get a positive on the NFL’s banned substance list.

The lists are agreed upon by the respective leagues and player unions. Alcohol is not on that list.

It’s hard to beat your wife and kids when you’re staring into the refrigerator for the 47th time, or zoned out scrolling through Netflix looking for Half Baked.

It’s also hard to perform at a level that keeps you employed.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Alcohol is not on that list.

Yet another quandary.

I would argue the effects of persistent alcohol use are much harsher.

pakfanistan
    Participant

MLB, NBA, and the NFL all suspend players for testing positive for substances that are legal in all 57 states.

Half the products in GNC will get a positive on the NFL’s banned substance list.

The lists are agreed upon by the respective leagues and player unions. Alcohol is not on that list.

I get that it’s on the list, I don’t think pot should be on the list. It’s not performance enhancing, doesn’t have as many negative consequences as alcohol, which isn’t on the list, and it’s legal where Hickson most likely used it.

So, basically what Wulfpacker said, but I’d like to add:

Numero Uno

tjfoose1
    Participant

Right. Not disagreeing. A practicing alcoholic won’t last long.

I disagree with the relative effects of alcohol and weed though, especially considering the potency has increased 10 fold since the 60’s/70’s.

An occassional glass of wine doesn’t carry the same risk and detrimental effects as the same occassional use of weed.

Ironic, the culture’s growing acceptance of weed vs tobacco and unhealthy foods. Can get in more trouble these days sharing a twinkie at a Michelle Obama Colorado public school than passing a joint.

Stoners can save their breath. I’m not debating, just saying.

Wufpacker
    Participant

You got twinkies???

Wulfpack
    Participant

An occasional glass of wine or puff of a joint (assuming it was good pot) has never hurt anyone, unless that person was a predisposed alcoholic or had a propensity for escalated drug use. What we’re talking about is abuse i.e. consuming way too much at once or near constant use. In that instance, I’d take pot over booze any day of the week. “Abuse” pot and you might catch a few too many naps and munchies. Abuse booze and the consequences and effects are far harsher for that person AND society.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Abuse booze and the consequences and effects are far harsher for that person AND society.

For one, it’s not really that hard to kill yourself drinking.

There’s not a single recorded death from marijuana overdose in history.

Texpack
    Participant

In my mind this is about what you signed up for and having enough self-discipline to follow through on your commitments. The rules are the rules. You’re making more money than 99.5% of the world’s population so grow up.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

All this… falls in the larger category of things in life that…
    “Either you control it… or IT controls you. Make up your mind which it’s going to be.”

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    redcanine
    Participant

The policy sucks. It might be worth a fine, but not a suspension. Kareem Abdul Alcindor smoked more grass than anyone, and he’s in the Hall, and justly so. Bill Walton says “high”.

Those crazy kids…

TheCOWDOG

Who’s JJ Hickson?

highstick
    Participant

Who’s JJ Hickson?

Was he that guy on that sitcom? Wore the little weird hat and lived in the projects of Chicago?

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

MrPlywood
    Participant

dy-no-mite!

Pack Mentality
    Participant

If this is his 3rd positive test then I would think that someone wants to send a message to him and/or the rest of the team. They know who smokes weed and who doesn’t and they continue to test that guy until he fails three times. If somebody doesn’t quit after testing positive twice already, that can show that your priorities in life aren’t where they need to be. I would bet that this carries over to his work ethic at practice. And then lo and behold he gets tested again.

StateFans
    Keymaster

I think ^that comment and the following from Tex resonate most with me:

In my mind this is about what you signed up for and having enough self-discipline to follow through on your commitments. The rules are the rules. You’re making more money than 99.5% of the world’s population so grow up.

If it is the 3rd offense for someone who is ‘obligated’ to play by the rules then we’ve got SOMETHING going on — whether it be an addiction or just immaturity. At some point one would hope that ANYONE (forget JJ for a moment) would have the common courtesy to respect their teammates &/or the organization who is paying you to deliver what you said you would deliver.

tjfoose1
    Participant

At some point one would hope that ANYONE… would have the common courtesy to respect their teammates &/or the organization who is paying you to deliver what you said you would deliver.

You did use the word ‘hope’, so it works. In this “me first, entitlement, government owes me, self absorbed, I’m special” society, ‘hope’ is just about all you can do.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.