IUPUI Game Thread…

Home Forums StateFans Basketball IUPUI Game Thread…

Viewing 2 posts - 101 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    PackerInRussia
    Participant

^Unfortunately I’m not old enough to remember that, but I get what you mean. I certainly don’t enjoy the physical wrestling matches and I appreciate the effort to curb that. It seems they’ve been able to get away from that somewhat if I’m remembering correctly. But to see whistle after whistle for tiny little things makes it almost as unwatchable for me. I don’t know if they’re being unreasonable or players just aren’t getting it or if I’m so used to the way it’s been played for so long that the little fouls don’t bother me, but should.

Rick
    Keymaster

^PIR, if you’re old enough to remember what the game looked like in the 1970s and 1980s, I think there’s this notion that you can suddenly return, or purify the game, get it back to how it was played. This has nothing to do with whether the players are more athletic now or not. Sure they are. But are they more skilled? Passing, shooting, defending and rebounding without fouling.

I’m of the opinion that you can’t go back. At some point, and I don’t know when, the game turned into a mugging. The ACC has long been considered more of a finesse league, probably with more fouls called on average, but there’s still plenty of wrestling.

College basketball in its present form is almost unwatchable. Watching UVA play is absolutely awful. The NBA has cleaned it up and is a much better game to watch than cbb right now.
    What it will take to clean it up is the refs calling the game correctly. Stop the hand checking. Stop the weak charges. Stop the bumping. The refs will have to call the game correctly. They tried this a few years ago but gave in after a month because of the coaches whining. If the refs are consistent then the players will adjust. If the refs, like they have in the past, are not consistent then they will be forced to go back to the clutch and bump style of basketball that has dominated for the past several years.

BTW, this style is because of Coach K. He started this. Smart coaches like Shaka and Bennet have perfected it.

Viewing 2 posts - 101 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.