It's "What's In Your Garden?" Time

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk It's "What's In Your Garden?" Time

Viewing 8 posts - 101 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    TheCOWDOG

Geez,Gowolves, just saw the post.

East,West does not matter if you can get 6hrs. of sun.

Try and find a determinate tomato,as they require less staking.Celebrity is a good old standby. Maters pretty much require a 5 gallon container, and need about .5 cubic ft of potting soil(5 gal=.66 cu’) If you are a frugal gardener, like myself, visit your local grocery store deli and ask for empty icing buckets. They are more than happy to comply. They even might have 3 gal pickle buckets, which would be great for your cukes and POLE beans.

Scotts has a very good potting mix that Wal-Mart sells for $8.88/2 cu’.

Anything can be grown upside down. They real key to container stuff is drainage and a bit more h2o-ing. So if you try those buckets, drill holes with your largest bit.

Drip systems for containers should be fielded by one of our green thumbed engineers.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Put my vote down for the east side. Morning sun much more valuable than afternoon scorching heat. More sun the better but sometimes a little shade in the late heat is good too.

YogiNC
    Participant

maters are starting to bloom, I got my conduit trellis up Monday and it rocks, 2 50 foot sections for lots of cukes and maters. Was hooking up my maters to it last night and saw two little ones!!!! YES! Squash, cukes, and zucchini all have blooms and corn is about 2 feet high. Won’t be long now.

Smarter than the average bear

highstick
    Participant

Turns out that it’s birds messing with the tender shoots for the most part, however I did bust a big ole wabbit munching on our flowers the other day. Yesterday, the neighborhood hawk paid me a visit. Perched right on the retaining wall around our patio. I had moved my camera from the sunroom to the bedroom about 30 minutes before and didn’t have my phone handy.

My wife has put netting over the young plants. One of our neighbors runs the local farm supply store and she stopped to talk with him the other afternoon. She asked about the okra not coming up. He said it could have been birds, but they got a bad batch of Clemson okra seed this year. He gave her two flats of okra plants to plant.

Sometime late Saturday night/early Sunday morning, my submersible pump on my well burned up. I had left the water on very slightly to 2 soaker hoses. Don’t think it was that though. Bad things always happens on holiday weekends, but I was lucky enough to get my pluming guys to come over Sunday and replace the pump. There was a very suspicious “knick” in the wiring close to the connections to the pump. The insulation was cut all the way to the wire.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

highstick
    Participant

Did you guys “autocorrect” and take the “p” out of ClemPson?

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Pack78
    Participant

Funny clip relating to the earlier discussion on Carolina Reaper peppers:

https://www.yahoo.com/food/these-people-tried-the-worlds-hottest-pepper-124081089096.html

TheCOWDOG

BTW. 2 of 8 choke plants have produced fruit. A little early, but considering the stress of that June heat…
    Granted, they are the size of a lime.

YogiNC
    Participant

I went 7 weeks with less than an inch of rain. Hardly any of my corn came in, potatoes I got less than a 5 gallon bucket. Plowed in the potatoes and replanted 2 rows of corn for a late harvest hopefully, if I get enough rain. Everything else I could put enough water on to keep them going. In that seven weeks it poured rain less than a mile away from me twice, and once it rained in my front yard for 5 minutes, not a drop in the back yard or garden. It was one of the strangest things I’ve ever seen.

Smarter than the average bear

Viewing 8 posts - 101 through 108 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.