It's "What's In Your Garden?" Time

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk It's "What's In Your Garden?" Time

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    TheCOWDOG

…Hosted by Mr. Greenjeans.

This used to be a pretty good staple. Alotta old posters bit the loam over the past few years,’cause, I think, some of the lightheartedness kinda flew the coup.

So…the big deal for me is that I turned over prime soil to the Grand Artichoke Experiment. Love them girls, peeling them leaf by leaf,just to get to eating the heart of the matter.

I did my homework, we’ll see. Straw bales and all the H2O that goes with it will constitute my growing media for Rutgers and Bush Boys and Yellow Pear maters.

Assorted bells and hot peppers…cukes and green and yellow beans, pretty much rounds it out.

Oh…rain barrel assisted for the straw growing.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Confession time….Who doesn’t know who Mr. Greenjeans is/was?
    No Google Allowed.

Sorry, CD. Haven’t worked in a garden since my junior year at State. (Which was long enough ago that I distinctly remember Mr. GJ.)

Corn, potatoes, and peanuts were my favorites….and squash the absolute worst.

YogiNC
    Participant

CD, I have a big one this year. Picked up a used compact tractor with a disc and mower and building some other necessaries like a hiller/cultivator.

I saw the very first Captain show WAY long ago.

Tried the straw bales, ya gotta stay on top of them when it gets really hot, and they do suck up the water. Prefer growing in dirt, a bit more forgiving.

As for the garden goodies, two varieties of REALLY sweet corn, 3 type of maters including Giant Pink Belgiums which when sliced yields 3 really good mater sandwiches from the center slices, YUM! and Wisconsin (sorta like rutgers) and of course Big Boys. Doing some valencia peanuts for making boiled goobers, red potatoes, squash, zucchini, cukes (long and pickling), okra, scallions, shallots, onions, cantaloupe, watermelons, and 5 Carolina REAPER plants (the world’s hottest pepper… look it up! they are atomic!) Also setting a herb garden. Planted some strawberries in the flower beds, lots of discussions about a few varieties that make good ground cover with a plus of giving up some delicious berries for homemade ice cream (I have a killer recipe). I CAN’T WAIT!

Smarter than the average bear

Wufpacker
    Participant

No Google Allowed.

Yep, I do. No Google required. Watched it daily on 12″ b/w. Also demanded Colgate toothpaste with MFP (maximum fluoride protection…damn I’m feeling old).

TheCOWDOG

^ It’s never too late, Va.

Corn was sonething I actually grew in California, but I had more space for it. Just like this artichoke thing.

Anyway, get your basil in a pot or two.

tractor57
    Participant

Nothing growing here yet but very soon. Tomatoes (many varieties), peppers, squash, cucumbers, okra and a container filled with mixed greens and another one with radish. Due to circumstances I missed out on snow peas this year (or at least this spring). No corn here because I love it too much and it causes me problems so I’ll buy a couple ears now and again. Home grown is better but we do as we must.

TheCOWDOG

Yogi. I knew it.
    I’m not fast enough to keep up.

Look at you. That’s what I’m talkin’ about.

Hey. We keep this thread up here, especially for when the sh#t hit the fan, and our stuff starts getting fouled, bad calls,coaching blounders….

AsheWolf
    Participant

Chronic lurker AsheWolf checking in from the high country. We figure on about 140 frost-free days here in a season. Tomatoes never go in before Memorial Day. My best success comes from Russian varieties (Cosmonaut Volkov, Paul Robeson, Koralik, etc) Czech varieties (Stupice) and such. Sungold cherry tomatoes do well here and I do have some luck with Brandywines some years.
    Okra doesn’t grow up here nor peanuts or sweet potatoes. Irish potatoes are a staple and go in traditionally on Good Friday.
    The advantage we have is we can grow lettuce, cabbage, broc, etc. right through the summer.

I have about 1100 7 year old asparagus roots that keep us wrapped up in asparagus. I sell some locally and barter with some of it. It makes a great permanent planting and it’s purty.

TheCOWDOG

‘Stick should be in soon with asparagus tales, AsheWolf.

I’m jealous of guys like you that held off from the instant reward.

YogiNC
    Participant

Ashe, I’m jealous, LOVE asparagus but it won’t grow well here, too hot in the summer.

CD, I’ll have a bumper crop of corn, when it starts coming in I’ll front ya a bushel or so for puttin’ up in the freezer, and some for fresh. Was thinking today about a thick PRIME grade ribeye from Costco on the grill and 3 or 4 ears of corn still in the shuck on the back of the grill that’s ready at the same time that steak is just nice and pink inside with a crisp dark outside. Peel back the shuck, slather them with butter and dig in. YOWSER!

Oh and cuke slices with a mater or two sliced up too!!!!

BassPacker
    Participant

Ping Pong ball drop for you Cowdog ! Loved Kaptain Kangaroo !! Mr Moose was my favorite but Mr Green Jeans was too. He can still help you grow that garden.

Better check your almanac Dog, only plant vegetables that bear crops below ground like potatoes now with waning Moon: plant vegetables that bear crops above ground like beans and cukes during the next waxing of the Moon:

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I’m going 100% Organic…

Old dog learns new tricks…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    AsheWolf
    Participant

I’ve been basically organic for 45 years. Had my first organic garden when I was 15. Let me know if you have challenges. We actually were in the vegetable business back in the late 70s (cabbage, Broccoli and pole beans) and again from 2005- 2012.

My asparagus tale is as follows: I love asparagus. When it is in season, I have no problem having it every day. It’s about a 6-8 week season. My current wife apparently loses her gung-ho sometime midseason or so. I had cooked her up a sweet Sunday Chicken with roasted veggies including some nice asparagus. So she hides her asparagus under her napkin so I don’t notice she didn’t touch it. Except I did notice.

If you’ve ever seen asparagus growing, the stalks emerge from the ground and you cut off said stalks. After about 6 weeks or so, you have to stop cutting because the stalks then grow into fronds that nourish next years production. When these stalks are left to grow, they turn into really really big stalks. I harvested several of those monsters and cooked them up for the little sneak. The next day at supper, i told her to just sit down. I’d fix her plate. Those dang things were longer than the plate was wide. The sigh she let out when she saw them is still a source of immense humor. Mostly for me.

Since74
    Participant

Was thinking about starting a bonsai, or maybe just throwing some seeds from the corner of the baggie in the outdoor planters at work.

YogiNC
    Participant

Was thinking about starting a bonsai, or maybe just throwing some seeds from the corner of the baggie in the outdoor planters at work.

It’s very early in the morning BUT if the last half of that sentence means what I think it does then it’s a good thing I wasn’t drinking coffee at the time I read it. That’s hysterical! “What’s that weed growing in the planter? No clue, must be some kind of herb cause it sure has a strong smell but I just can’t quite place it.”

Fastback68
    Participant

Just moved into the neighborhood of a long time friend where vegetable gardens are low brow and not allowed. My friend has a “secret garden” (snicker) bordered by shubbery with a little camouflage netting over the top. No Colorado Gold though. As for myself, I just tilled 4 acres in the woods for a brown top millet planting in late May. It’s turkey season and you can’t get more organic then that.

JasonP
    Participant

Peppers – and lots of them (no julius though). Jalapenos, cayenne, habaneros, pablanos and serranos.

Would like to plant some ghost peppers again but would need to find a way to keep the shadow people and black eyed children from eating them up.

YogiNC
    Participant

Jason, lookup the Carolina Reaper, seeds are like 10 bucks for 10 seeds (shipping included). Those things are the hotest in the world right now.

lumbee wolfman
    Participant

I’ve turned about 100 square feet of my front yard into both summer and winter gardens. Can’t stand the thought of so much pesticide for perfect grass. (I’ve got a pic. Is there any way to upload it?)

I’ve got brussel sprout leaves, cabbage, parsley, and kale from my winter garden that I’m still eating. Last year I planted tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini squash, zinnias, and cucumbers. Everything did well but the cucumbers (unsure why). The squirrels ate my grape tomatoes, but not my regular tomatoes. Does anybody know what the hunting squirrel limit is in Cary?

Rick
    Keymaster

No Google Allowed.

Yep, I do. No Google required. Watched it daily on 12? b/w. Also demanded Colgate toothpaste with MFP (maximum fluoride protection…damn I’m feeling old).

Am I the only one who walked the circle with Uncle Paul? Or sang along to the Zoom Zoom theme song?

I do not garden but am about the put some weed killer on my bermuda. The weeds are turning green but the grass is not. Pretty ugly.

packplantpath
    Participant

You guys are making me sad. First year in a long while where the garden is kinda weak and will remain so since I’m moving in early June. Got a few struggling beets, lettuce dying off, leeks coming on strong, and cilantro headed downhill.

Cowdog, you should hit me up. I’m moving back to the home of your Hatian Queen. I should have more sweet corn than you can shake a stick at by July 4.

Pack78
    Participant

Yogi-Not a gardener either, but I am partial to Jamaican cuisine and hear that Scotch Bonnet peppers will heat things nicely. Sounds like Carolina Reaper will lay that in the shade…

Fastback68
    Participant

I do not garden but am about the put some weed killer on my bermuda.

What are you using to kill the bermuda? I use turflon bermuda but the —- scares me to death so I wind up dressing like Dr. No when applying it. I don’t know of anything else that will kill it dead but am open to other products.

Rick
    Keymaster

I do not garden but am about the put some weed killer on my bermuda.

What are you using to kill the bermuda? I use turflon bermuda but the —- scares me to death so I wind up dressing like Dr. No when applying it. I don’t know of anything else that will kill it dead but am open to other products.

On rereading that I mislead. My grass is bermuda adn I want to keep it. I am trying to kill the weeds themselves.

TheCOWDOG

That Carolina Reaper can register as high as 2,000,000 on the Scoville heat index. Thanks, but no thanks. I like to taste my food.

I do have a Ghost Pepper plant at 850k to 1M, but my go to for flavor/spice is the African Piri Piri, at 50-80k.

The Scotch Bonnett roles in at 350k, for 78’s info.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.