It Ain’t A Train Yet, But The Engine Looks Good…Combo Game Blog. Seriously, Who Uses That Nomer?

Home Forums All StateFansNation It Ain’t A Train Yet, But The Engine Looks Good…Combo Game Blog. Seriously, Who Uses That Nomer?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Texpack
    Participant

We insist on helping TV ratings.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Hanging on for the win.. tale of two halves.. no show 3rd quarter. A lot for the coaches to work on with the team.

Great start to this season, but we need to be able to play for a full 60 minutes to be special.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Pack wins 33-25 despite playing like crud in the second half..Pack lost the second half 18-7.

someone school me please..I wasn’t at the game and no one said anything about the wind.. Why, after Bambard kicked the ball through the endzone numerous times in the first half did we resort to the pooch kickoff a couple of times in the second half? We gave them the ball at their 45 on the last one. What the heck was the reasoning? Was the wind strong enough to keep Bambard’s kicks out of the endzone or are we insecure about our special teams coverage on kickoffs after USC?

freshmanin83
    Participant

Learning how to win I hope.

Tau837
    Participant

Why, after Bambard kicked the ball through the endzone numerous times in the first half did we resort to the pooch kickoff a couple of times in the second half? We gave them the ball at their 45 on the last one. What the heck was the reasoning? Was the wind strong enough to keep Bambard’s kicks out of the endzone or are we insecure about our special teams coverage on kickoffs after USC?

Wondered the same thing.

rthomas44
    Participant

This was a lesson in playing not to lose.

packalum44
    Participant

Are cornerbacks the hardest position in college to recruit? Even when we had Amerson we gave up huge plays regularly.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

After this game and the USC, and perhaps the FSU game, I’m scratching my head as to why it takes us an entire third quarter to react to their halftime changes defensively. Are we slow to adjust offensively, or do we just go conservative and try to sit on a lead? We abandon the skullduggery etc and try to shove the running game down their throats to the point of self destruction – almost. At times we appear timid to throw the ball, in our own territory, seemingly worrying that our QB might throw an INT despite the fact that he’s thrown, what? 250 passes without an INT? Dance with who you came with. Keep them off balance. Go for the throat. A boot on their faces…forever! What do I know?

POP!
    POP!

TheCOWDOG

44. CBs are tougher to find than LBs.

This quantifies as a good win, no matter the
    meaning of good.

Greywolf
    Participant

We didn’t take our foot off the gas in the second half, we never had it on the gas in the 2nd half.

We also had 5he sropsies.

Gowolves
    Participant

Pack wins 33-25 despite playing like crud in the second half..Pack lost the second half 18-7.

someone school me please..I wasn’t at the game and no one said anything about the wind.. Why, after Bambard kicked the ball through the endzone numerous times in the first half did we resort to the pooch kickoff a couple of times in the second half? We gave them the ball at their 45 on the last one. What the heck was the reasoning? Was the wind strong enough to keep Bambard’s kicks out of the endzone or are we insecure about our special teams coverage on kickoffs after USC?

Doreen said in the post game that Cuse was using an offensive lineman at the twenty yard line. They pooched kicked it to him the first time and he only got two yards to the 22. The second time the kicker miss hit it.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

I don’t care for the risk vs return (no pun intended) of pooch kicking the ball to any player, OL or not. Kick the ball out of the end zone. Don’t take the risk of giving them the ball at damn near midfield.. It is not worth it, and it was odd, given the offensive conservative third quarter mindset of our team. I’ll take the odds of a miss hit on an attempt to kick it out of the end zone before I’ll take a miss hit on a poochy kick..

tractor57
    Participant

All in all I’ll take the final score.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Indeed, CD. It qualifies as a good win. They all do, anymore. 50 years from now, when we are dead and gone, few people will discuss the coaching strategy in the 2017 N.C. State game vs, Syracuse. Pooch kicks won’t enter into the conversation. Only the score will matter. Yeah, so like any win, it’s a good win. Enjoy.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Guess we all going for VPI tonight. They win and we sit a top the Atlantic (possibly tied with WF depending on this FSU game) 5 games into the season.. has that EVER happened?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Just got in from Carter…

Wind was a factor today…

but the first short kick in the second was designed to go to an O lineman…. the second was supposed to be the same, but was botched…

After last week… the Crowd was more disappointing that the Team… The only time they really got engaged was in the chippy period of the late 3rd-early 4th quarter…

Team deserves better.

Pack run defense was awesome…. which forces more passes…
    Offense was but good, but from where I sat, it looked like Finley likes trying to make the impossible pass too much…

But I aint complaining …. had a good time with my WolfpackGirl and the PACK is 3-1…

Thursday night ain’t going to be so much fun… but we could be surprised if DaVille pulls a FSU and comes in lazy.
    POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Bill, my good man, we’re 4-1 now. You’re probably right about Thursday, but at least we’ll probably be ranked for a few days. It’s been a while.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^corrected with pleasure…

ALL in for Hokies? At least in my house!!!

POP!!!

Gosh, no, please don’t put us in the top 25 right before we play the ‘Ville. KOD for sure. I prefer that we earn the ranking Thursday night! Please L’ville, don’t pass the ball.

mak4dpak
    Participant

I find myself pulling for Clemson. Wanting us to put that loss on them, as well as the 2nd for Louisville. Go Pack!

ryebread
    Participant

The good?
    – Muat win game from the perspective of the program, and we got it done. Hopefully it is a sign of increased player and program maturity.
    – Fantastic offensive and defensive first half.
    – Gutted out some first downs when we absolutely had to have them.
    – Couple of great punts.
    – No turnovers.
    – Tuffy head on the field and helmets looked great. That’s actually a recognizable brand.
    – Wise kicked a long FG.

Bad:
    – Players hurt
    – Seconday
    – Zero killer instinct. That 3rd quarter is exactly what I’ve been talking about.
    – Kick off “strategy.” Kick the ball out of the end zone if you can. I showed some stats on another site but it is staggeringly obvious that kicking the ball out of the back is the right play.
    – Officials: I didn’t have a problem with the penalties but they almost let that game get away.
    – Inabiluty to stop the QB from running.

Oh well, it is a win and I would take 7 more in the regular season just like it. Go Pack!

Wolfanatic
    Participant

you never lose a game by kicking the ball out of the end zone on kick offs..Pretty easy..

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

The morning after… things you see in the Stadium, you don’t on TV or hear on the Radio…

1. It was a real good game of flag football with full contact hitting, blocking and tackling….

2. Bradley Chubb is not only a beast on the field, but a MVP level leader… #9 single-handedly woke the PACK up at the end of the third qtr… He’ll make a great outside linebacker at the next level….

3. Coaching staff’s emphasis on game and clock management appears much improved….

4. For two games in a row, against upper D1 opponents, the PACK got deep in their opponent’s heads from both sides of the ball, causing visible frustration, numerous penalties and mental mistakes…. We beat them both, not only on the scoreboard, but between the ears…. I like this!

5. Official Review from Above used in a creative and positive way… After the scrum that didn’t seem to want to end resulted in no penalties against either team, as noted elsewhere, the Zebras were perhaps precariously close to losing control of the game. The Official Review would have taken at least 30 minutes if done correctly for the purposes of enforcing the rules. Nevertheless, after a 10-15 minute break in action mostly consumed by standing around — doing nothing, play resumed and everybody on the field, including the Zebras, finished the game decently….

6. It may also be noteworthy to some that during the entire 5 minute scrum, no Wolfpack coaches or sideline players crossed the white line….

7. As discussed elsewhere, the crowd was lame — we seem to have lost any understanding importance of the 12th man, with or without alcohol….

Greywolf
    Participant

It’s hard to have a ‘killer’ instinct when your best receivers are dropping passes that stop your drives. Lots of teams seem to have lost their killer instinct — VT, FSU, EweNC, LSU, TN, etc. There is an ebb and flow to sports among relatively equal teams. It is unreasonble if not ill advised to think your team is going to come out in the second half and blow your opponent away — you know show your “killer instinct.”

IMO we put FSU behind us and came out taking care of business. The second half did not go as well. Syracuse had the right to question as Chuck use to say, “Question their manhood”, and came out playing with some level of desperation. Our offense did answer the call on one drive where we didn’t drop easy catches.

Syracuse is a “Lose close” team that likely will be a “Win close” team maybe as soon as next year. They have a better defense than many credit them with having. IIRC they have a football tradition to call on — guys like Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, McNabb, etc.

The Wolfpack is doing fairly well for a team with an idiot for a HC (sarcasm alert), and low ranked recruiting classes. Too bad they are not perfect.

tractor57
    Participant

I think a huge step forward to not fall in the game after the big game. Yes some more work to do but further down the road as compared to last year.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.