In the air tonight @ Miami

Home Forums All StateFansNation In the air tonight @ Miami

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 448 total)
  • Author
    spintk
    Participant

3 of my posts have been deleted. That’s the definition of censorship.

Block me or whatever. That’s not the point.

I have an opinion that isn’t widely accepted amongst you and yours.

The thing that baffles me: instead of even attempting to prove me wrong, you’d rather delete me. Makes no sense when it comes to open discussion. Shut me up. I’d love to be proven wrong.

packalum44
    Participant

Does Debbie Yow still think Gottfried is the answer for our program? I think not.

Q&A

Q: But wait why the knee jerk reaction you lunatic we were underdogs??!
    A: You do realize we were underdogs to a significantly inferior team due to them having a great coach and us having an average coach? Also I’ve been preaching anti-Gott sermons since year 2 best I can remember.

Q: Why do other teams lose to Miami? Duke lost!
    A: By definition, most teams have average coaches (tho w/ less talent than State) – so that’s why. Duke lost one bad game (2 counting us) we lose games against inferior talent consistently.

Q: How can you have such conviction we have one of the most talented teams in the ACC?
    A: What other teams have TWO 5* and SIX 4* recruits? Not to mention an athletic and talented guard who never plays. Plus the eye test…our guys are athletic if not somewhat raw (hence why a good coach is vital).

Q: Why don’t our teams give 40 minutes of effort we show so much promise at times?
    A: We show promise b/c we are more talented than most teams we play. Though every team has spurts, our spurts have put us up 15-20 points on really good team over the past few years (St Louis anyone?). However we don’t play consistent b/c we are not taught proper habits in practice. We “think” too much during games b/c our practice hasn’t taught us techniques and skill that should be second nature. Read the Power of Habit there is a terrific section on Tony Dungy.

Q: ^ Well that should be easy to fix.
    A: Absolutely not it takes a special person to turn a basketball paradigm into a second nature habit for humans. Also knowing what works and doesn’t work for each group and having depth of knowledge to different strategies would help.

Q: Our players don’t play hard enough on defense.
    A: Defense isn’t only about playing hard its about being fundamentally sound which is taught in practice. Those dumb fouls we make on rebounders after missing shots should be nixed in practice. So painful, yet they are bad habits never rectified.

Q: Why do we not play to our strength – athleticism and depth – and full court press the entire game?
    A: Not Gott’s forte he doesn’t have the skill to teach this in practice. It is not easy. He only knows what he knows which is offense. He knows offense he’s not so great at teaching it to kids in an efficient manner.

Q: Wait I thought Gott was know for offense – Why is our offense painful to watch in the half court?
    A: Gott is our coach. Knowing offense and teaching it to 90-110 IQs are two different things.

Q: Doesn’t he just need more time?
    A: Yes. About 30 years. We might reach an elite 8. More likely not. Next year might be our highest ceiling year – maybe the year after if Martin twins keep improving. Mark’s recruiting is fading just look at next year’s goose egg.

Q: He’s better than Herb!
    A: That wasn’t a question.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Thanks for the update ‘Roo…

I’m with you on the blue shirt thing… you know that…

It’s time for the kids to run the steps again…

Trying to explain what happened from an intensity/focus/discipline perspective tonight is going in one ear and out the other… plus… from here it appeared that the kids ‘might’ have felt the game was won at the half and that they just needed to play out the second half…

FWIW… I always hated getting big leads in the first half… that comes back to haunt you as often as not…

For conference games on the road… the better percentages are to play ‘Tournament style’… and cut the game in half… just get in the locker room at the half a couple of baskets up or down and then bring your best in the second half… not the other way around…

In the end, however, it doesn’t really matter a whole what the Coach says or does some nights…
    Kids will be kids…

Only idiots assume the kids do everything exactly when, where and how the Coach said do it… which would be the irrefutable assumption anytime you hear ‘Coach lost the game’… for some that might be considered ‘irrebutable’ proof… others will argue with a brick wall…

The TEAM (players and coaches, together) wins and the TEAM loses. period.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    choppack1
    Participant

This game ain’t on barber or on gott. I can’t stand Acc refs…the call against cat was beyond absurd. He played a solid game tonight. He is an acc calibre point guard and he will play better.

We have 2 guys – turner and lacy – who will take some very bad shots – they make enough of them to give them positive reinforcement. Martin had some bad fouls that bailed them out…but he’s young.

Team was tough tonight. We had some shots spin out I couldn’t believe – but the effort was there and playing a team like this was great prep for the domers.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Actually, I’d hazard a guess that several people agree with you. But repeating the same general post when no one responds the first (or second or third…) time seems kinda odd.

No matter. Wufpup offered his opinion, in contrast to yours, but you rather continue sniping than to respond to him. IF you get blocked (and you are closing in fast..hint #2)…THAT will be the reason. Not your expressed opinions.

spintk
    Participant

^ A whole mock Q&A and I’m the bad guy?

spintk
    Participant

Do you honestly consider what I have said as, “sniping”? Maybe wufpup’s response didn’t compell me. One poster’s argument merits deletion?

Sure, Mark has taken us to 3 straight Tourneys. But his recruiting is fading, and his coaching needs help.

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ A whole mock Q&A and I’m the bad guy?

If that makes you feel better, sure.

Go back to discussing other things or go away. I don’t care which.
    But your next post arguing semantics with me will be your last.

packalum44
    Participant

Spintk if it makes you feel any better no one really likes me either most of my opinions shared are contrarian or else why share them if they aren’t interesting? You can’t change deeply engrained minds – just share your thoughts and move on. Its nothing if not cathartic. I feel like I just rubbed one out with my post I can sleep now. Goodnight all.

spintk
    Participant

Again, that was a question. Nothing to make me feel good or bad.

Also, consult a definition for reference to the word, “semantics.”

redwolf87
    Participant

Q: Doesn’t he just need more time?<br>
    A: Yes. About 30 years. We might reach an elite 8. More likely not. Next year might be our highest ceiling year – maybe the year after if Martin twins keep improving. Mark’s recruiting is fading just look at next year’s goose egg.

Q: He’s better than Herb!<br>
    A: That wasn’t a question.

Arch ain’t coming here.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Wufpacker…

If I had a really hot, controversial subject that needed ‘discussing’…
    I’d start a New Topic… and get full exposure, google tracking and the works…

I wouldn’t ‘waste’ it by burying it at the end of Game Thread…

… just saying …

Wufpacker
    Participant

spintk will not be rejoining us, at least not tonight.
    (ad hominem deleted)

tractor57
    Participant

I thought the game was lost with the opening of the second half. Every point after that was trying to dig out of the hole created. For whatever reason the whole team came out flat at the start of the second half.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Wufpacker…

If I had a really hot, controversial subject that needed ‘discussing’…
    I’d start a New Topic… and get full exposure, google tracking and the works…

I wouldn’t ‘waste’ it by burying it at the end of Game Thread…

… just saying …

Yes, agreed.
    But if one is merely in the mood to argue….

I’ll probably take the block off later, then maybe he can try that.
    Or maybe he’ll get himself blocked permanently. Time will tell.

BassPacker
    Participant

The team did come out flat the second half, up 7 and quickly down with an 18-2 run by the Canes. I question to why this happened, could it have been that as some said, GOTT out coached? Did Coach L make halftime adjustments that just put us out of our game? Or did we just leave it in the locker room at halftime? It was like two different teams. Momemtum going into the locker room and turnover brick city coming out of locker room. Again, was the adjustments Canes coaches made the difference in the second half?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^^ maybe… Wufpacker…
    … and maybe the light is on but nobody is at home…

Only idiots assume the kids do everything exactly when, where and how the Coach said do it… which would be the irrefutable assumption anytime you hear ‘Coach lost the game’… for some that might be considered ‘irrebutable’ proof… others will argue with a brick wall…

Good night all …

tractor57
    Participant

BassPacker I think there is room for any/all of these to be factors. Miami did make some adjustments and the Pack came out flat. Credit to the team for continuing to battle even with Lacey and Turner both having what I would call off nights. I saw a lot of potential from Abu and Cody. Some decent play from Barber (although still a high risk/reward thing).

I find it a bit hard to accept the idea that recruiting is going to hell given the the freshmen. In game coaching I’ve seen examples where it has been good and examples where with the benefit of hindsight not so good.

I see progress in the team as the season progresses.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I heard a rumor.

I heard other teams have scholarships, paid coaches, and even run plays too. WTF?

Is that true? if so, how come other teams are allowed to do that?

Shouldn’t we be the only ones who are allowed to run plays that work? Shouldn’t we be the only ones allowed to win games?

I know some of you think our 17-23 amatuer athletes arrive on campus as perfect players, incapable of making mistakes, but that’s not quite how it is.

Maybe we should employ some good old fashion Spartan judgement and leave the imperfect players out in the elements to die.

They deserve it, obviously, for falling to placate a certain element of their ‘fan’ base whose lives must be so vacant and unfulfilling that they feel an incessant need to attack and ridicule amateur athletes for failing to reach their perverse hypothetical nirvanic level of performance perfection.

tjfoose1
    Participant

With all the whiney ass cry babies, You’d think we had a team with enough talent to put MJ and LaBron on the bench.

This place is becoming a douche magnet.

Out of line? I don’t think so but I’m ok with a ban.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Venting comments directed towards a small minority.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I cannot imagine I an only one tired of his trolling

And me to the list

Wulfpack
    Participant

I can live with that loss. Very good effort with a chance at the end on the road. Not a coaching thing, Miami just outplayed us in the second half. I immediately saw the fire from the Canes following half time and it took us some time to match it. That’s where it was lost.

Time to quickly switch gears to the Irish. Certainly not a must win, but need to have it for any hope of a top 6 finish in the league. This is a very solid Notre Dame team.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Kids GOTT to learn …

You don’t ever win a game in the first half…

Kinda interesting stuff …

BIGS:
    ABU was huge in the first half… didn’t sustain that in the second…
    KW was watching ABU in the first half for the most part… came on strong in the second half…
    ANYA was getting his when ABU and KW weren’t…
    Freeman is Freeman… he does what he does ‘invisibly’ and that doesn’t seem to bother him…
    He might be the steadiest kid we have on the front line..

Now if we looking for balance … we might say… that’s ‘balance’…
    but I’m thinking … ‘balance’ really means all three check that… four… getting “theirs” at the same time for the whole game…

BACKCOURT:
    Some knowledgeable observers thought Lacey was ‘tired’ again in the second half…
    Tired of what? Kid just needs to relax… he’s uptight about something, imo…
    Turner was trying to do a lot … showed the ‘will to win’… just didn’t get the bounces…
    Cody… Cody… Cody… just a freshman… still learning to “trust” his teammates and the system…
    I’m sure “More fouls than points” will ring in his ears for next few days and nobody is going to say a word about that to him…
    Anthony looks ‘thin’ on TV… I wonder if he is eating right…

Coach in the post game… seemed to take this one in stride…
    It’s the ‘public’ personally thing… I suppose…

The real GOTT will be at practice today.

Our defense keep us in the game all night… Canes shot 40% … and hit some threes…
    but they never went off down low… a basket here and there…

If you GOTT to make a choice… that’s the choice you make… you ain’t gonna shut down the paint and the perimeter on the same night…

The kids did everything by the book to win this one over the last four minutes…
    except for M14’s two fouls…

So yeah… overall… more right than wrong, except for the final score… maybe this one will help win one we shouldn’t later this season… As important, these kinda of games will give us a headstart next August…
    They are learning..

Did ya’ll hear about the CAT ATTACK…
    I missed that at the end of the game…

there’s a typo in this title from E$pin…

NC State fan player shoved in loss at Miami

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I thought the game was lost with the opening of the second half. Every point after that was trying to dig out of the hole created. For whatever reason the whole team came out flat at the start of the second half.

I immediately saw the fire from the Canes following half time and it took us some time to match it. That’s where it was lost.

^I agree with this reasoning. It’s often not as simple, but to me this is where the game was truly lost. I think it’s typically a bad idea to pinpoint one or two plays, but I keep going back to those two completely unforced turnovers at the very start of the half which Miami got six points off of.

Not only did it flip the score and the momentum, but that whole sequence could have very well infected everyone’s confidence – we hardly scored for a long stretch. Sure, we could have missed shots and Miami run down and hit 3’s -but we didn’t even shoot the ball and it was 6-0 them. Huge impact.

Miami did a much better job of exploiting the switching D in the 2nd half, but even with that and the Pack’s inability to score State was right there. Don’t turn the ball over and there’s a more than reasonable chance that we win.

Also, it may be just ‘coachspeak’ – but I feel Gottfried is correct in his refrain of “play 40 minutes” … this could be a pretty damn good team if that does happen. On that note, maybe the staff liked what they saw in the press – I certainly did. It seemed to really energize the guys late. Probably don’t want to try it all the time or against everyone – but I thought it was effective in changing the game flow.

ND game pretty damn close to a must win. Still right on track with a win … a loss gives 8 L’s on the season and likely an RPI dipping into the 50’s.

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 448 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.