Imaginary Bronze Medal Game Thread (St. Joe's, 6pm, CBSSN)

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Imaginary Bronze Medal Game Thread (St. Joe's, 6pm, CBSSN)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

I’m beyond surprised and quite impressed by this effort.

Gowolves
    Participant

We haven’t had a team shoot the three like this since like never.

BJD95
    Keymaster

We are too tired to rebound, though.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Crunch time…. up 6 with 3 to play…

Abu still on the bench.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wufpacker
    Participant

We’ll hang on I think.
    2 of 3, shorthanded, I can accept that.
    Now build on it.

And Gott, once again, shave that horrid looking thing off your face.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Crunch time…

Up 6 with the ball with 2 to go…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Crunch time…

Up 10 with 1 minute to go…

Heelh8r
    Participant

WE’RE #3!!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Smoke if you GOTT ’em…

Game Over!

Wolf PACK WINS!!

Any body who complains ’bout this game is an idiot.

Read the Box Score… start with Minutes played and 3ptFGM%…

what that don’t show is called “Match Up Zone”.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Nice bounceback tonight.
    Did what needed to be done.
    No complaints tonight.

Gowolves
    Participant

This was almost exactly how I wanted this tournament to play out. Would have loved to win all three but I knew it would be tough. Still a few things to improve on but it will get better.

BJD95
    Keymaster

That was a GREAT win. As good as any OOC that MG has ever had, really.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Found a stream then like clockwork buddies show up to help move my boat. Pack triumphs and boat moved – win-win for today. DSJ’s line (overlooking the FG%) looks great, 24pts, 8ast and 2to. And 9/10 FTs.

Heelh8r
    Participant

Now we pull for Creighton and hope they are as good as they look. Hope for St. Joe to have a good year too. We need all the OOC strength of schedule help we can get.

TheCOWDOG

Match up zone?

I have not watched as basketball season doesn’t start in November anymore than baseball starts in February. I do read you guys, though.

Match up zone, huh. Y’all don’t mind till I see it for myself, do ya?

Gowolves
    Participant

Rebels more than holding their own.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Well who among us really knows… except to say that’s what Johnny & Tony are calling it.

Now… if it passes the Coach Moore test… then it’s the real deal.
    We’ll just wait for your report… cuz….

BJD95
    Keymaster

Apparently the South IS gonna do it again? Took ya long enough, Johnny Reb…

TheCOWDOG

Well who among us really knows… except to say that’s what Johnny & Tony are calling it.

Yep. That coach Moore.

TheCOWDOG

…Or Jack Kraft, Al McGuire, Rick Pitino’s kids.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

bill.onthebeach wrote:

TheCOWDOG wrote:

Yep. That coach Moore.

Now… it’s doubtful what you’ll see is in it’s original form….
    After all, it’s almost 50 years since Coach Moore developed the original “Match Up Zone”
    and stuff does evolve.

The question is … is it the Defense or the vocabulary?

TheCOWDOG

Vocabulary.

ryebread
    Participant

We were gassed, but looked better, played smarter and played much better defense than against Creighton. This is a glimpse of what we can be.

DSJ is getting it going. Dorn is the most efficient perimeter player we’ve had in a long time. We have depth. We can play up tempo or slow it down. The pieces are there.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Dinner with DW of 51 years (today) overrode NCSU BB. Great meal….even if it was at a restaurant affiliated with an Ex BOT Chief at UNC. We both like it and wore NCSU attire.

Listened to the first half and the halftime on the way there.

My biggest gripe is what GOTT keeps talking about.

Offense running “HIS” system, but also making shots AFTER we do a ton of passing. Lights out shooting is great….IF you can do it consistently. Seems like the rarefied air of the Virgin Islands helped our ability to make shots….but the UCLA High Post offense is supposed to be the where all to end all….when the guys improvise and take street baller (brawler?) shots and they don’t fall….it is THEIR fault…when they fall and we win, it is the SYSTEM’s superiority.

Defense gets more jawboning that “why HRC lost the election”. We had NO legs in last Q3 and all of Q4 last night. Sounds like we hit pay dirt tonight….something like a 26 – 3 run. OK, did you listen to the PREGAME. There are only 3 or 4 of the St. Joe team that returned. The rest graduated or got mad and left or whatever. It was a YOUNG team. We beat a YOUNG team. We were NOT as dominant against Creighton….

NOW, I also heard…”we are beginning to learn HOW to play the Zone Match-up”. SO, we got some experience tonight. BUT, if all our super scorers can’t do diddle on Man to Man, then god help us when we play an experienced team. The ZD works as long at there is not a Zone Buster (Herbie, tell about JJ and how he took away our ACC Championship and you had NO Junk Defense to use?). It is hard to judge a team based on the “Gabriel Heatter” broadcasting of the Home Town crew. IT SOUNDED like we made some subtle changes. The fact that we ARE changing defenses and learning is somewhat heartening.

NOW, NOT having listened to H2, I shall only comment on what the Box Score says.

> Absolutely, Positively NO BENCH Scoring. Creighton killed us with their bench (they also let up when they had us under control….Mikey and ORW will NOT….they will punish you).

>BJ, The Incredible Mean Eating Machine, played LESS time. He had 2 Rebounds; 3 PF; 3 Points; 2 Blocks in 16 minutes. BUT, he fouled out last night in 17 minutes….so I guess this is progress. “There’s Good News Tonight….”

Johnson seemed like the one man wrecking crew off the bench. He got 4 fouls, so either he was targeted or else he was aggressive….or BOTH.

>Maverick and Kapita did NOT play. We MIGHT have taken down Creighton if we had had them….but we will never know.

Early in the season and I enjoy our successes, but have a nagging sensation that the Mediocre albatross has NOT been properly buried….so we shall see.

Texpack
    Participant

First of all congrats to Roo and spouse on 51 years. Nowadays that’s rarer than Anya and Abu making 15 in a row from the line.

I watched the replay this morning. I agree with Chop on the zone giving up way too many second shots.

I will still reserve judgement until we have all of our horses at the same time. The inside game we have now is very inadequate.

Henderson and Mav shooting the three, with some occasional help from Dorn, Smith, and Johnson gives us an offense that can put up enough points to win every night.

Johnson and Smith have to learn not to reach. Both looked better on defense last night, but neither is great against the dribble drive. Really makes you appreciate Cat.

Smith looked better. He is better with MJ in the game.

Can we rebound well enough to compete with the top teams? One of the wings has to commit to being a weak side rebounder. That guy will see the most time on the floor.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.