I Fear Not The House Of Deacon. But Just In Case…

Home Forums All StateFansNation I Fear Not The House Of Deacon. But Just In Case…

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 210 total)
  • Author
    Packster
    Participant

CTC was not a good coach and neither is Dave Doeren. They both have or had great recruiting ability and that’s about it.

Texpack
    Participant

The blown call by the refs is all that matters

McCallum
    Participant

Blown call?

McCallum

eas
    Participant

But wait, if anyone starts winning a few games you get a contract extension. It’s the Wolfpack way lol. I agree these short side running plays with RB’s who do well in the open field. Long ball passes with 1 yard needed on 3rd. Numerous open crossing patterns to the middle of the field just left alone. A defense with experience and talent worked over by Wake. We are a better team than over 4 years ago but dangit we should be! Sorry but my rant is still driven primarily but in game play calling if I am being honest

albunde55
    Participant

34 years of this crap. Is it money? Is it our bad karma!

gso packbacker
    Participant

A frustrating loss and the calls and clock management at the very end were dizzying. Hope we take the holes begind the woodshed.

Btw, Troll, please don’t flatter yourself that you actually irked me. Also, I was more curious as to your thought on what caused it to moved. Clearly, they knew it was Senior Day already.

Also, after reading the thread post game, it appears you were the one who got a bit irked by the Senior Day stuff. May I suggest switching to Sanka.

Packster
    Participant

I know we are a mediocre football school, but I get so sick of schools like Wake and Maryland being the teams that stand between us and a decent season. There is a just no excuse for losing to WFU. None.

Royal Wulff
    Participant

They gotta name for the winners in the world/
    I want a name when I lose/
    They call Alabama the Crimson Tide/
    Call me Deacon Blues

BassPacker
    Participant

What makes this season and the last 20 yrs seem so bad is that when we seem to have a chance to have a good season, establish momentum and win the recruiting drenches, we BEAT ourselves. This game is a footprint of why we will never get to the next level: Poor Play Calling, No Kicking game, Dropped passes, Stupid penalities like late hits, Poor clock management, Busted secondary coverage. I for one am tired of same ole whine its the refs or Swofford, its old like like losing. Good teams make their own destiny, ours just seem to get close and fade away in the 3rd qrter. Blame it on not having been there in 20 years or blame it on coaching, but not on the men in stripes.

Packster
    Participant

Say what you want…officiating calls in close games have already been discussed prior to game time. Maybe not specifically but generally. The goal being to make sure long term conference goals are met. I’ve just seen it too many times in many different games.

Packzingo
    Participant

What a crappy performance by soooo many!! Now we have dropped a turd an a great season, hope to win against the Holes to salvage a Good season. I can’t help but let a demoralizing thought slip in: what if we fall flat and lose to the Holes?

Packzingo
    Participant

SO much for “turning the corner”!!!
    Peeked around the corner and got smacked by the football fairy called “stupid”

ryebread
    Participant

Zingo: After the humiliation by ND, I laid out a scenario where we might well lose 4 of 5 to end the year. I said I didn’t want to enter the UNC game needing a win to avoid that. That’d be a lot of pressure in a rivalry game with an opponent who had nothing to lose.

Well here we are. For the second straight year, it seems DD’s fate comes down to UNC. Can he get it done again? We’ll be 10+ point favorites.

Regardless the best thing for all parties might be if DD is allowed to leave. I have felt that he is the football version of HWSNBN. He isn’t as good as the basketball version, but our program doesn’t have those inputs either. Is there an Arizona State out there for DD to go and reset the clock with? Is Tennessee actually interested?

Wulfpack
    Participant

If the Vols hire Doeren Neyland will go down in flames.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I’ll say it again just like I said after the ND game: Finley’s not an NFL quarterback. Hopefully Tau837 has taken notice since then and can now fully admit his NFL stock is nose diving.

Now for greywolf, I suspect we won’t hear from him for several days.. maybe not until right before next week, when he tells us how much of an advantage we’ll be playing with against UNC because it’ll be our SENIOR DAY!

Mac, congrats on not having to change your avatar. I know at one point, with all the hype around here, you had great trepidation of us winning the national championship game handily, and having to update that thing to a humiliating perversion.

bill, keep doing what your doing.

rest of you fellas, barring rthomas, much love!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Also, after reading the thread post game, it appears you were the one who got a bit irked by the Senior Day stuff. May I suggest switching to Sanka.

My apologies, gso. I was told by a self proclaimed football miracle genius on page 1 of this very thread that senior day’s are a big distraction and disadvantage. And now I’m crushed and want answers.

McCallum
    Participant

Irksome as it might be this morning, I’m calling for steadfast support of the coach.

Things never turn on a dime. I rejected the upward trend (we turned the corner!) non-sense weeks ago just as I reject end time leanings now. I believe Coach Dave, who I from here forward will no longer refer to as Dapper Dave, deserves the chance to fashion the program in a manner reflective of himself and the university. That image, dislike it as you will, is one of steady, everyday consistency. I’m rejecting emotional reactions and rather a calm approach be followed whereby he continues to build a base of depth. He will need to address some items, examples being backfield speed outside of Hines, kicking, adjustments, etc but I believe he will get there.

I believe he is still learning as all coaches are prone to do at lesser or greater degrees. I believe defeats of the sort witnessed against SC, Clempson and the lucky sperm club are the sort that deepen a love of winning. Heart break can be a good thing, it can enhance commitment.

Following State is not the easy path. Join me in extending a hearty middle finger to our enemies and greet them with a Piedmont accented “up yours”.

I also hope the stupid pricks at wake forest that come from money all caught the clap last night.

McCallum

albunde55
    Participant

As I said earlier, going to Winston Ranked and favorite, causes our quarterbacks some kind on mind meltdown. Finley got away with at least 2 other questionable passes. Now with that said, if we are to believe that we have 1-2 first round NFL picks, along with several 2,3,4 round picks, believe that our talent exceeds that of Wake. Then how do you justify this loss? Was it “just a bad game”? Was/Is the Wake staff better than our staff? Is Wake coach a better motivator? Was a freshman the best player to put on wake’s Hines? Same point different team, who was on Renfrow on key 3rd downs? How many sacks did we get against Wake. This year 5 of the DD express, I’m seeing some of the same problems from 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 15 years ago, 20 years ago! Is next year the year we win the division? An intelligent man, based on last night, would say be prepared for more disappointment!

Tau837
    Participant

I’ll say it again just like I said after the ND game: Finley’s not an NFL quarterback. Hopefully Tau837 has taken notice since then and can now fully admit his NFL stock is nose diving.

Yesterday Finley:
    – Led the offense to 502 yards
    – Passed for 327 yards and 1 TD, and IMO should have had a second TD on the Emezie fumble
    – Put the ball on Harmon’s hands 3 times for 50+ more yards where Harmon failed to make the catch
    – Put the ball on Hines for 30+ more yards leading Wake to commit DPI
    – Ran for 35 yards, including at least 4 first downs

No, he didn’t hurt his NFL stock yesterday. In fact, see the corner route where he put the ball right on Harmon at the pylon. See the (first) TD to Emezie. See the out route to Meyers that was reviewed. Those are impressive NFL throws.

I have never felt Finley merited consideration as a first round QB. I assume he will get drafted, but after the first round, probably in the middle rounds if he enters the next draft. If he comes back next season, I could see him possibly moving himself higher.

To suggest he has hurt his NFL stock in this or any previous loss suggests that he had high NFL draft stock to begin with. I disagree with that, so I disagree that he has hurt his stock.

Pretty sure that’s similar to what I said the last time you brought it up.

I also said last time that the guy who hurt his stock was Samuels, and the same is true for this game. Once again, Hines went out early with an injury, and once again Samuels did not raise his level of play to compensate. IMO Samuels is going to have to play RB in the NFL, and he has not impressed in that role this season.

Tau837
    Participant

I just Googled some mock drafts:

1 round mock draft with Chubb #1 and Finley #21
    3 round mock draft with Chubb #4 and Samuels #84
    4 round mock draft with Chubb #4, Finley #39, and Samuels #94

Khan
    Participant

No big mystery here. We are an average team, with mostly above average talent. We just had the fortune of playing teams that are mostly worse than us this year. @BC is about the best win we have (FSU is just abysmal).

Finley is an average QB with not an ounce of clutch in him, well in line with the aggregate team clutch rating.

DD does less with more, and it’s becoming clearer to more people that this type of season is really close to our ceiling under him.

There are too many alarms with this team that go off, even in victories, warning that we need turnovers, penalties, and luck to fall in our favor to avoid defeat — kicking game, bad play calling, long stretches of lack of focus, bone headed on the field decisions, etc.

Lastly, I don’t know whether the call in the field was right or wrong, but unless there was some super secret replay angle not shown to us, it would have not been possible to overturn. If only we would have just fallen down, it would have been a TD. But too bad. See the previous paragraph about bonehead plays and luck.

We should have won. And we will be saying the same next weekend after the storm inevitable loss to UNC.

Tau837
    Participant

At Backing the Pack, there is a good/bad/ugly thread after every game. The ugly was the fact that there was no camera angle down the goal line. Have to agree, that is just ridiculous for a Power 5 conference game.

highstick
    Participant

Is it time to start discussing pepper, maters, and turfgrasses again?

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Texpack
    Participant

Blown call?

McCallum

The obvious TD that they first blew on the field and then on the replay. There will be an image that surfaces to confirm the score.

Pack1997
    Participant

McCallum, sorry but DD will not get my support. Support him if you are ok with the football being average on its best day. However I expect us to continue to try and push the needle towards consistent top 25. DD will not get us there. We had more than enough talent, and the schedule lined up perfectly this season, for us to achieve something great. Instead it has been blown on mental mistakes and poor coaching. All of which falls to the HC, because he is ultimately responsible. As long as DD is our coach we will be average at best. I hope another team hires him away from us.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 210 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.