Hofstra game thread

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Hofstra game thread

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

Thank you Ralston … !

pakfanistan
    Participant

25-24 NCSU in the second half.

pakfanistan
    Participant

We have to do *something* about free throw shooting.

Yuuup.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Don’t like settling for 3-point attempts when we’re up 15 late in the 2nd half … attack the rim.

(Of course, we’d go 1-2 from the line at best, but still)

pakfanistan
    Participant

Already at the 13 pt spread for this game.

And we win by 12 :/

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Welp, solid win. 76-64, Pack.

Guys did a good job, but we have a lot to work on. Never really in danger, but that was a bit deceptive (imo) – Hofstra could have been right in the game with a few different bounces.

Let’s get to work on zone offense looks and free throw attempts. Nice win.

Somebody in the crowd had a ‘bighead’ of this guy … Neat.

nav
    Participant

Geez man. No way that game should have been that close. FT’s, FT’s, freakin FT’s.
    Also, a ton of standing around on offense in the 2nd half. Like last yr, the zone killed our momentum.

But,it’s a win and I’m happy. Congrats guys. Let’s improve and move forward.

xphoenix87

Thoughts:

– Looking back at the stats, we gave up more offensive rebounds than I thought we did. Still, I like the way we look in that area. Washington, Freeman and Abu are all good rebounders, and Lacey does a really good job crashing from the guard spot. That was a major weakness last year, and I think it’ll be much improved this season.

– I love watching Trevor Lacey play. He needs to clean up his shot selection some, but he’s a plus defender and is so strong and decisive on his drives. Really excited to have him on the team.

– We start 4 plus defenders and bring one of the best shot-blockers in the country off the bench. There’s no excuse for us to be below-average at that end this season. Fouls will be a bit of a problem, but I’m not worried about that. Washington does so much good stuff. It’s not just the shot-blocking, he’s really, really good at corralling guys on the P&R and getting back to his man. His length and quickness let him cover a ton of ground.

– Turner is still a defensive disaster who loses track of his man way too frequently, but it hurts less when you surround him with good defenders, and we need his shooting.

– FTs are a problem, but I also think Cat is going to be better than 5-9 most games, so I’m not overly worried about that yet.

– What does worry me is how we bogged down against the zone. It’s not just that they didn’t quite know how to attack it. That’s going to happen the first time you play a zone in a season. There was some standing around and confusion about where to be, and that’ll get better. What worried me was that the passing wasn’t very crisp. Too often there were passes that didn’t hit guys in the hands. That’s the kind of thing that doesn’t lead to a turnover, but it takes away what might be a shot opportunity or slows down the next pass. That’s fundamentals stuff that needs to be cleaned up.

– Shot selection from the guards/wings needs to be tighter, especially against a zone. If you’re shooting a contested 18-footer with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, you’re doing something wrong.

– Abu needs to a) be told in no uncertain terms that he is not a three-point shooter, and b) carry a basketball around above his head all day. He missed out on two point blank looks because he brought the ball down.

– Anya had two really nice drop steps to get to the front of the rim. If he can stay on the floor, he’s going to be a real force.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.