Head Ball Coach stepping down

Home Forums StateFans Football Head Ball Coach stepping down

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

….Effective immediately, announcement to come today.

A source told ESPN.com that co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Shawn Elliott is the front-runner to be interim head coach. Other possibilities are defensive coordinator Jon Hoke, who is in his first season with the Gamecocks, and quarterbacks/tight ends coach G.A. Mangus.

Spurrier, fed up with age questions and critics suggesting his best coaching days were behind him, went on the offensive before this season began.

“We were 11-2 and ranked fourth in the country this time a year ago, and nobody said a damn word about my age,” Spurrier said. “Now, a year later, I’m suddenly too old, and we’re on our way down.

[snip]

“I’m smart enough to know when it’s time to let somebody else come in and do this, but I’m also smart enough to know that we’ve beaten Georgia four of the last five years, beaten Florida four of the last five years and beaten Clemson five of the last six years,” Spurrier said in July. “We’re only 3-2 against Tennessee the last five years, and they won a couple of close ones against us, but they’ve lost 10 in a row to Florida. So I’d say we’ve done OK and have a lot more we’re going to do.”

Wulfpack
    Participant

He also went on record saying give me another couple years, which was a death sentence as far as recruiting goes. He tried to backtrack and fix it, but the damage was already done. He had it going for a couple if years but it has gotten pretty bad down there. They are downright terrible this year.

The ole ballcoach is a heck of a coach and a character. I have enjoyed him. I’m sure he already has some tee times lined up. Enjoy it, coach.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

If only we could erase the collective memory from those few years in DC.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

My best friend is a UGA alum and for many, many years has not spoken Spurrier’s name. He simply refers to him as the “anti-Christ.” This is a happy, happy day for him, and other Dog fans.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Mixed reactions. I remember when SS was at Duke and the Duke fans said….”this will not last as we will not pay him enough and we are not big enough and he is too good”. Pretty good, at least to me, synopsis.

It does seem that he is looking, and I can’t really blame him, more at how Wiki and the “Stats” will report him. The original article that I read was, I thought, objective. It speculated that he did not want to have an “official” season with a losing record and that retiring now took care of that.

If you read the wiki, there are no really ugly issues. OK, he did have a few less than stellar players, like Barry Sander’s (N&O Columnist) son who was on the fringe of the Marvin and how to get Bling gang.

SS also made a LOT of money. He made donations to USC. I can’t disagree with the UGA bud about the “anti-Christ” image….Mikey has been called a lot WORSE….and the season that he stepped down for back surgery WOULD PROBABLY have been a loser.

Spurrier is also 2 months older than I am. I have no physical frailties….but others might argue on mental. Spurrier seems to be physically “OK” for all the hits he took. He has a large family and has been married just a few years less than I have.

The Fridge (MD fame) recently said in an interview that he was thrilled to be Rutger’s OC….but the grind of getting up at 4:30 every day…..working 18 hours every day….for 15 weeks….and then scaling back to only 65 or 70 hours per week was catching up with him and the Fridge is now a “consultant” to the HC.

I can not imagine, after all most 10 years of retirement…..leading that life style…

Wulfpack
    Participant

It was just time. He did an interview with espn and said once things started to go in the wrong direction, it’s time to cut the cord. He didn’t want to be one of these losers hanging around too long. He made the decision for USC. The program needs energy.

Clemson is killing it on the recruiting trail and the spread between the two will grow this year. Dabo is loving it. He’s going to mop up most the SC talent.

tractor57
    Participant

I have always thought Spurrier was a bit of an Azzhat – an honest one but an Azzhat. This makes an interesting turn.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I heard that Spurrier will be on College Gameday in Michigan this weekend. If that’s true, that definitely puts a sour taste in my mouth. Not even a week after you quit on your boys and you are already out there selling yourself. But then again there are reports he lost the locker room, so it is of no concern to him.

Spurrier is a tremendous coach. His track record speaks for itself. And he had quite the sense of humor and wasn’t afraid to confront other coaches. At the same time, I always felt he could dish it out but then couldn’t take it when somebody called him on it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.