Happy New Year from the South Smoking Portch

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Happy New Year from the South Smoking Portch

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

After the Historical Day yesterday along Tobacco Road…
    there’s a lot of different colors shaking their heads, wailing, gnashing of teeth, sackcloth and ashes, going on up and down the I-40/I-85 corridor…

Folks wailing equally about the lack of offense and lack of defense and how the game has changed over the years…

Well… the Ghosts on this South Smoking of Reynolds sent this over…

I don’t really know if they’re trying to pick us up a little, stir the pot or if they are just pissed off with the new exterior lighting around the renovated Colisium, or just feeling ignored… Ya’ll know … reading Ghosts’ minds is a real trick….

Anyway… here it is… ’cause I promised ’em…

Over three seasons, from the Fall of 1972 to Spring of 1975…

The WOLFPACK Men played 86 basketball games…

Average Points Scored == 92.3 pts per game
    Average Points Given Up == 74.6 pts per game

They also reminded me….
    Nobody back then talked about how good or how bad either our Team offense or Team defense was or wasn’t.
    Just ask anybody who was there…

Now, this season’s Men’s squad has played 14 games…

Average Points Scored == 83.1 pts per game
    Average Points Given UP == 73.6 pts per game

What the Ghosts really wanted to say was…

“The game is still two 20 minutes halves…
    These kids today have a shot clock and a three point shot to contend with on Defense…
    The numbers say what the numbers say, but all things considered, today’s kids ain’t playing any worst defense that the 72-75 teams.

Looks like to us Ghosts…
    These kids today with a 3 point shot and a shot clock ought to be breaking a hundred more times than not…
    and you guys ought to be asking ‘What’s wrong with our Offense?’ not ‘What’s wrong with our Defense?'”

I told the Ghosts I didn’t have a dog in this hunt, but… I’d make their post for ’em… out of respect.

Happy New Year!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    McCallum
    Participant

They don’t move their feet on defense, they surrender they base line like a cheap whore on Saturday night, and they have no team identity or idea on how to develop an identity.

They can’t box out, they don’t understand after shot ball trajectory and they probably sniff glue.

State will suck and they ain’t getting any of my precious time or well counted moolah.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Vocabulary aside…

In the low 70s ppg, Our “sucking” would appear to be near the mean for defensive “sucking” on many D1 campuses over multiple years.

Do we play “mean” defense? — Depends on how one defines “mean”.
    Is our Coach named Bennett? — No.
    Can we play more fundamental defense? — Yes.
    Will we win more games? — No way to know.

All of which is totally off topic…

Either the 72-75 ppg stats are unbelievably good or the Ghosts are on to something…
    Over the years, defenses have improved more as the rules evolved than offenses.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

McC,

State will suck and they ain’t getting any of my precious time or well counted moolah.

Seems to me you spend a great deal of time disparaging said Wolpfack, so in effect they do continue to get your precious time. To quote a very famous line from my favorite Christmas movie “Do I paint a correct picture, or do I exaggerate?”.

Smarter than the average bear

McCallum
    Participant

A few minutes popping off about the the charging at wind mills Wolfpack does not qualify as much of a “sacrifice of time, pleasures and comforts”*.

Spending time rolling up and down the road is where the franks and beans meet the road, ain’t happening.

McCallum

*nods to the Builders of Men

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.