Guy Clark

Home Forums All StateFansNation Guy Clark

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Royal Wulff
    Participant

Hat tip to Cowdog for turning me on to Guy Clark. His music has gotten me through a difficult season of life. As a lifelong fan of Willie, Kris, Waylon, Merle, and Jerry Jeff, I’m still not sure how I missed the Guy Clark train. Thanks again, Cowdog. I needed it.

TheCOWDOG

Whoo Hoo! I was just checking in before my Bills go against Darth Brady.

Royal Wulff…Family and friends have a specific song to play for where they eventually dump my dead body.

“To Live is to Fly.”

Go Bills. And crush The Holes!

TheCOWDOG

Hey…Guy Clark is special, Royal Wulff. Very cool that his poetry in music got your ear, too.

Let’s deem this an official Wolven, music thread…And don’t be so scarce.

LRM
    Keymaster

I’ll name a few you should check out based on the ones you listed:

Hayes Carll, James McMurtry, Jason Eady, Sturgill Simpson, Jason Boland

AsheWolf
    Participant

Y’all are barking up my tree now.

AsheWolf
    Participant

And if you missed this, now you see it:

TheCOWDOG

Ray Wylie Hubbard…An original Lost Gonzo!

I’ve been cookin’ up alotta Dave Alvin lately. Geez. Do I have stories from my SoCal days around the music scene. I used to work backstage “security” at the famous Golden Bear, in Huntington Beach.(From what I can remember.)

Royal Wulff
    Participant

Thanks, LRM. I like McMurtry, looking forward to the rest.

CowDog, I’ll check out Dave Alvin while I’m at it. Meanwhile, here’s an extra helping of GC. Two of my favorites, among many others.

DUBLIN BLUES

BLACK DIAMOND STRINGS

TheCOWDOG

LRM and moi did this a few years ago thru PMs. His list and mine were uncanny.

LRM
    Keymaster

Cow, I was worried I’d imagined that.

Also, try Turnpike Troubadours.

TheCOWDOG

Hey…Ya disappear for a bit, and that’s what happens.

LRM’s a good writer. Probably too bashful for newbies. 🙂

LRM
    Keymaster

Cow, I recall your story a few years back — one of my favorites — where you stuffed a handful of gravel in a UNC tuba over at Kenan.

Those are the stories the newbies need.

Writing used to be therapeutic for me. If I could count how many times I’ve started a story over the past while…I’m just sitting back lately waiting for the ending to change.

AsheWolf
    Participant

Here’s one I thought of after visiting my elderly parental units in the sunshine state for Thanksgiving. Funny and poignant.

RocketJSquirrel
    Participant

Glad to hear you guys are liking good music. GC been one of my favorites for years. You might also try Iris Dement.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Been meaning to chime in for a while..Think I’ve got some old GC footage or audio from Merlefest in my personal vault. Will try to dig up and share if I can find. Didn’t know our musical tastes swayed this direction

LRM
    Keymaster

Ah, Mearlefest — in the hometown of LRM.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

LRM, I, too, hail from the land of brushies and the cool, cool, waters of the yadkin! But I lived on both sides of the river. Used to do a lot of taping at shows in the 90s and had lots of friends that did as well. Need to find those wilkesbor recordings and convert before they go bad

AsheWolf
    Participant

Here’s one for all you Wilkes packers. Seems about right:

TheCOWDOG

Ha ha! Damn boy. Cap City Records was one of my first office furniture salvage buys!

Dwight was not part of the deal…No Caddies, too boot.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Lol. This is a little more my speed although I wasn’t for this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LDaf9SJzNZ4

About 1999 or 2000 was my last trip to merlefest after many a year. I like the more traditional tunes and am drawn to the lyricists but I practically grew up watching Thile there

TheCOWDOG

^
    In unison. Comes natural…Young athletes need to see stuff like this.

AsheWolf
    Participant

Here’s one by my friend Larry Cordle. This is a song in memory of the great Keith Whitley. Cordle is an awesome writer (Murder on Music Row…) and I really love his voice.

AsheWolf
    Participant

Another great songwriter…Tom Russell. His Wounded Heart of America is one masterpiece after another. Here’s one about the story of Jimmy Martin, the King of Bluegrass, who never gained admittance to the Grand Ole Opry. Jimmy loved to run rabbits with his dogs who he named Pete.

Royal Wulff
    Participant

AsheWolf,
    Mighty fine, brother. Ray Wylie Hubbard, Hayes Carll, Larry Cordle, and now Tom Russell. I believe I’ve died and gone to Raleigh.

WhiteShoes67,
    I can’t wait for the MerleFest set with Guy Clark. Break that thing out of the vault for us.

AsheWolf
    Participant

Don’t let it die.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.