Grading the ACC's basketball hires

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Grading the ACC's basketball hires

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

I agree with these grades.

As I previously said — Virginia Tech should be THRILLED to get Buzz Williams. That’s insane!

I can’t stand Boston College and feel like their rightful place in the conference is at the bottom where they can give everyone free, easy wins. I can’t help but think that Jim Christian may add to their recent trend of living this out.

Jim Christian, Boston College – C: Christian may turn out to be a great hire. But at least for now, BC probably might have been better off hiring the man Ohio University brought in to replace Christian – North Dakota State’s Saul Phillips – than Christian himself. Unlike the hirings at Virginia Tech and Wake Forest, which at least have the potential to energize their respective fan bases, this one was met with a collective yawn among the Eagle faithful.

Although Christian went 49-22 in his two seasons at Ohio, including a share of the Mid-America Conference championship in 2013, he never got the Bobcats into the NCAA tournament. And while he does have New England ties, having played at both Boston University and Rhode Island, there’s no guarantee he’ll be able to recruit ACC caliber players after spending most of his career in lesser conferences. But at least he does have one thing going for him. After two 20-loss seasons in the last three years under former coach Steve Donahue, anything he does is likely to be an improvement.

tractor57
    Participant

I might up the grade for WFU hiring Manning a bit but not much. One WFU booster I talked with yesterday was happy with the hire but is still wedded to the idea that Wellman must go. He stopped buying any season tickets to any WFU sport a couple years ago in protest of Bzzz and Wellman and is remaining adamant on that. Manning does have a pretty good track record as a head coach, an assistant and of course as a player. I’m not so sure he is being seen as a “local” product even though Greensboro is only a few miles away.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

This sums up my thoughts about Manning:

the sample size of his resume is simply too small to project whether he’ll be as successful as a coach and recruiter as he was as a player.

Time will tell

tractor57
    Participant

Va I agree – good so far but …
    I still think this was a very good hire for WFU.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Bill Self believes he is going to be extremely successful. Tremendous recruiter, and according to Self, excellent coaching instincts.

I think it was an excellent hire.

And the VT hire is excellent as well. Buzz is a good one. Better than anything they’ve had.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I think Wake really only had two choices – a known, mediocre hire – or taking a roll of the dice on upside. Buzz was the only A+ hire anyone made, and Wake’s AD is clearly on the hot seat (making their desirability kind of meh).

Were I a Deacon booster, I would be happy with the upside play. Certainly the opposite of Coach Consonant.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.