Gotts future

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Gotts future

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Honestly I dont care about non-revenue sports. I dont want Yow anywhere near another Basketball or Football hire. Sorry but its the way I feel. Her reputation, right or wrong, is not good.

BassPacker
    Participant

As said, football hire is still to be judged but like the direction and energy DD brings. In fairness to Yow, think overall she has done a good job with hires considering the past failures. Perhaps State was not as popular destination as some thought, example the basketball search. Gott was and is the best we could Gott then. I think Gott has elevated our basketball program but it was so low up was only place it could go. Overall, the success of Yow can also be attributed to the failure of past AD’s. Fowlup was content with coaches despite their success. Example was the volleyball coach under Fowler, she was 6-139 in conference. It should not have taken an admistration change to get a coaching change. Same could be said for other coaching positions prior to Yows arrival.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Honestly I dont care about non-revenue sports. I dont want Yow anywhere near another Basketball or Football hire. Sorry but its the way I feel. Her reputation, right or wrong, is not good.

Is that you Gary Williams?

tractor57
    Participant

It seems it is easy to forget what a CF both basketball and football were thanks to Fowler. That does impact us to this day. I think Yow has done a decent job – prefect? Not at all but I doubt any AD would have done a lot better. Gott is better than a lot but maybe not the absolute best. I’m good with what he has done so far but I do expect the program to elevate.

Rick
    Keymaster

It seems it is easy to forget what a CF both basketball and football were thanks to Fowler. That does impact us to this day. I think Yow has done a decent job – prefect? Not at all but I doubt any AD would have done a lot better. Gott is better than a lot but maybe not the absolute best. I’m good with what he has done so far but I do expect the program to elevate.

Expect it as in you really think he will take the next step or as in if he doesn’t you will be ready for another?

Pack1997
    Participant

Tired of hearing the Archie talk. For better or worse we have a coach for at least a few more seasons so let it go.

tractor57
    Participant

Rick that is a good question and I really don’t know if he is the man to lead us to the promised land. All I know now is better basketball than I have seen in decades. Good enough right now? No but better.

Rick
    Keymaster

Rick that is a good question and I really don’t know if he is the man to lead us to the promised land. All I know now is better basketball than I have seen in decades. Good enough right now? No but better.

That’s reasonable

choppack1
    Participant

We will know in next 3 years won’t we? We have 0 big men committed for next year and could lose 2. We have 2 super guards lined up (not counting cat.)

That a veteran coach got caught in this storm this year is inexcusable…but he has built up a season or two in reserve based on past pere.

This season isn’t over yet and the man can certainly coach… Bit can he build..because coaching ain’t enough here.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Agreed. Very good “elevator summary.”

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

There are only 15 other teams in the nation, out of 347 D1 teams, to make the Sweet 16 at least twice in the past 4 seasons. For some perspective, here’s the company we’re in:

Michigan St
    Lousiville
    Indiana
    Ohio State
    Kansas
    Arizona
    Florida
    Kentucky
    Michigan
    Wichita State
    Duke
    UCLA
    Wisconsin
    UNC
    Xavier

It’s hard for me to take a lot of the recent criticism of our basketball program seriously in the slightest. I CAN say I’m extremely thankful some of yall are not the NCSU AD as it’s been made clear you’d have fired our coach months ago. Give it a rest.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

^I wish I knew what the point of that was

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I wish I knew what the point of that was

Oh let me spell it out for you: It was to make people who want Gott fired look stupid.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The number of people who want to fire Gott is extremely small. The real question is how many people think that Gott can move state into contention for the top of the ACC and something beyond the S-16?

Wulfpack
    Participant

I am having my doubts that Gott is the guy to move us forward. It’s going to be a dreadful season this year (already 1-6). Does he deserve to be fired? Of course not. Would I understand it if he were AND there was a guy with a pen in his hand to sign the contract the day of the firing? I would. It’s a question of whether you think he’s the guy to bring us championships. I am firmly convinced he isn’t. That’s based on a lot of evidence, not just conjecture. So he’s just good enough for NC State. Fantastic. Way to push for excellence.

He won’t be fired this year, no chance in heck. But if next year is yet another dumpster fire, I absolutely think he’s on notice.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

The number of people who want to fire Gott is extremely small.

Really? Have you perused the SFN forums lately?

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I KNOW I’m in a minority here but I can honestly say I believe Gott is capable of winning championships here at NC State. At Alabama? No, not so much.

Is it probable got gets us a NC in his tenure here? Unlikely, just as with ANY coach we might hire. But do I think it is a possibility? I 100% believe that to be the case.

Glad Dennis Smith holds the same beliefs as myself.

Radman
    Participant

I do not believe Gottfried can win a championship at State. Too many flaws in his approach. That said, I am not ready to fire him regardless of what the remainder of the season brings. He’s an above average coach having a bad year. Let’s see if he can get us in the top third of the conference next year with Smith, Henderson, Dorn, Abu, the Martins and an improved Rowan.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Hell, Sidney Lowe was a win a way from an ACC championship on two different occasions if I remember correctly. Yall are a tough crowd for sure.

Radman
    Participant

Alias, I am 57 years old. I saw State win championships in 74 and 83. I would like to see State win another before I die. Sure, Lowe came close but finishing at the bottom of the conference and sneaking into the championship game is not a plan for success. You have to build a winner. Maybe Gottfried can do that but I doubt it. It’s starts with balanced recruiting. Are we doing that?

In a way it reminds me of Amato. He brought in some very good players but did not have a balanced roster. Therefore he put players in the NFL but couldn’t win a championship.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Well even the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. Gott’s plan for this season was to have this current roster, with an NBA caliber point guard, Cat Barber, along with ALL ACC Trevor Lacey, AND the hyped up transfer who got injured 7 minutes into the season. This year’s reality sucks, but I just would hope our fans keep things in perspective and aren’t forgetful of the reality of the situation. Obviously this roster, which is amazingly somehow improving through the course of this year, was not the “plan” for this season.

Radman
    Participant

Alias, that is why I said I am interested in seeing how Gottfried does next year.

BJD95
    Keymaster

We need more bodies for NEXT season. That is indeed starting to concern me.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^yes…

more specifically…. we need two guards and two centers… every year…
    without getting coyote ugly….

good forwards are everywhere….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    choppack1
    Participant

The concern I have for next year is that Abu or Anya leave early. We will definitely have talent at the 1,2 and 3 spot. However once again we find that at this point, there appears to be no backup point guard and to date no big men have inked.

The comparison with amato is appropriate – amato often chaesed stars and wasn’t prepared when we he struck out. Still, Gott has done a much better job keeping his staff.

Next year is huge. Its very likely Smith is 1 and done, if Dorn has a good season he will be gone as well. Coaching college is tough these days..if I guy averages 15+ he probably goes pro, if he has to sit too much he transfers. But a coach has to build his roster with these facts in mind.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 186 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.