Gotts future

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Gotts future

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    Heelh8r
    Participant

^Thank you for the above post, JasonP! It is the best one I have read in a while. There have been several posts about apathy setting in among us and not as many posts. It is not apathy, it is boredom with the same old crap about how Gott can’t coach and doesn’t know how to run a program. And can we hurry up and hire Archie. Jeez. It is true we are not good enough to compete with the top teams in the conference this year but that shouldn’t stop you from pulling for your team. That includes not trashing them day after day, including the coach. And actually, I’d say things are looking pretty good for next year, despite all the dire warnings about the program spiraling to the depths.

JasonP
    Participant

^Thank you for the above post, JasonP! It is the best one I have read in a while. There have been several posts about apathy setting in among us and not as many posts. It is not apathy, it is boredom with the same old crap about how Gott can’t coach and doesn’t know how to run a program. And can we hurry up and hire Archie. Jeez. It is true we are not good enough to compete with the top teams in the conference this year but that shouldn’t stop you from pulling for your team. That includes not trashing them day after day, including the coach. And actually, I’d say things are looking pretty good for next year, despite all the dire warnings about the program spiraling to the depths.

Heelh8r, if I could “like” your post, I would. On the bright side, and thankfully, there’s a lot of Pack fans that feel the same way.

MISTA WOLF
    Participant

I love this site just for the fact that we each see things differently. As a high school basketball coach in Winston Salem, I understand the importance of my coaches view points on things that happen in the game. They see things I don’t. Same thing goes here, we all see things different, based on whether we consider ourselves a realist, pessimist, optimist, etc. What I seen at the Wake game may not be important to you but it was to me. I don’t get to attend the amount of games I’d like to, so when I do, I like to get to the gym as early as possible and soak everything in. Below are a few things I witnessed.

* 3 of the players didn’t have their jersey tucked in before the game and Anya had his sweats down below his a$$ cheeks. That told me they weren’t taking it serious, that this wasn’t a business trip and they weren’t being held accountable for discipline and representation of the school.
    * On the first 6 possessions (WF and Pack combined), Abu missed a gimme layup, committed a turnover, shot a baseline 10 footer with a 6’3 man on him and committed a foul. He should’ve been subbed for immediately (and yes he is one that didn’t have his jersey tucked in.)
    * All of our shooters float sporadically on their jump shots. On a jump shot, you’re suppose to be jumping straight up or slightly in. Ours guys jump to the left, to the right or backwards. That’s why our shooting percentage is horrendous (looking at you Mav and twin A). Cat Barber is the only one who shoots in rhythm. Simple mistakes that are fixable.
    * Our bigs play defense with their hands and not their feet. That’s why their constantly in foul trouble.
    * Those other guys on the bench have to play. FEET TO THE FLAME!!
    * Cat Barber obviously put in the work over the summer with someone. Why didn’t everyone else?
    * These guys need to be on a 2 to 5 ft. leash and be held responsible. I’m afraid their roaming free around the yard….

Rick
    Keymaster

Care to give me an example of a frosh pg carrying a team?

I don’t know what the “92” signifies, but it’s probably not your graduation year. Anyone that seriously asks that question hasn’t watched college basketball for very many years.

I lived in Owen dorm in 1992. (yay prison showers). Meet some of my best friends between there and Tucker. Good times.

Feel free to list examples of frosh pg’s carrying teams. If you have some I would love to investigate to compare. In my experience it seems like it takes a couple of seasons for a new pg to get their sea legs. Cat is a good example.

Last year’s Duke team. You remember the one that was MVP?
    However that is the exception rather than the rule. I hold no hope that DSJ is any better than Cat

Heelh8r
    Participant

^That is a great post, Mista Wolf. Something with substance talking about valid issues. No complaints with that. It would be hard to disagree with anything you said.

JasonP
    Participant

* 3 of the players didn’t have their jersey tucked in before the game and Anya had his sweats down below his a$$ cheeks. That told me they weren’t taking it serious, that this wasn’t a business trip and they weren’t being held accountable for discipline and representation of the school.
    * On the first 6 possessions (WF and Pack combined), Abu missed a gimme layup, committed a turnover, shot a baseline 10 footer with a 6’3 man on him and committed a foul. He should’ve been subbed for immediately (and yes he is one that didn’t have his jersey tucked in.)
    * All of our shooters float sporadically on their jump shots. On a jump shot, you’re suppose to be jumping straight up or slightly in. Ours guys jump to the left, to the right or backwards. That’s why our shooting percentage is horrendous (looking at you Mav and twin A). Cat Barber is the only one who shoots in rhythm. Simple mistakes that are fixable.
    * Our bigs play defense with their hands and not their feet. That’s why their constantly in foul trouble.
    * Those other guys on the bench have to play. FEET TO THE FLAME!!
    * Cat Barber obviously put in the work over the summer with someone. Why didn’t everyone else?
    * These guys need to be on a 2 to 5 ft. leash and be held responsible. I’m afraid their roaming free around the yard….

I disagree on several points here. I don’t necessarily equate jersey tucking with caring or being prepared. I also don’t equate that with a team that’s not held accountable. Seeing things like that and drawing negative conclusions is pure speculation. But moving on to the game:

*Who should sub for Abu that early on? Freeman? At least with Abu you’ve got a chance at a gimme layup; or if he’s fouled, a chance to make a FT or 2. The bench is extremely short.
    *Floating jumpers – no disagreement.
    *We are short-staffed in the front court and the ones we have aren’t all-stars. They give it effort, but it’s things like foot movement that separate the “capable,” “good,” and the “greats.” Right now, we’ve got borderline capable. At least they can rebound and block. Connect on a few more put-backs and we’re in business.
    *Again, our bench is short and Kirk is not ready as evidenced in the Michigan game. Stick him in any ACC game right now with significant minutes and a small deficit turns into double or triple b/c you completely lose any and all offense and defense on both sides of the court. It’s not worth his feet getting burned to lose any chance we have of winning a game – and we’ve had the chance to win each ACC game we’ve lost. Despite all the places this team lacks on the court, if the guys could somehow improve FT shooting we could steal some games. FTs definitely would have won the VT game, as well as against Louisville, and it’s only one aspect of the game. That’s how close this team is to breaking through.

Aeight
    Participant

Nice post Mista Wolf. I agree completely. Not having shirt tails tucked and pants hanging down below butt cheeks are definite signs of lack of discipline and absolutely does not represent the university with class. Also shows lack of focus, more interested in the street look and playground attitude…and they play like they are on the playground.
    FYI…Archie comes om at 7PM tonight…ESPN 2 I think.

BassPacker
    Participant

Great post Mista Wolf. Why I enjoy talking to my friends who are coaches at another school or even sport, it gives a point of view that the fan does not see. I agree Gott is the best we Gott since V. But I do have my reservations on his in game and fundamentals with coaching. I admit I’m a fan, not coach, so maybe don’t know difference from a coachable trait to a learned trait with a player. I do think a lot of our team problems are coachable traits.

To give an example: Know a high school basketball coach whose team was averaging 30% from free throw line. He spend entire week making them shoot free throws and adjust techniques. In between a miss, he also made them run some suicide sprints. The next game the team shot 75% and have up season average currently to 65%. Things like poor FT shooting makes me blame Gott more than players. And same can be said for plays like the TO call last game. We all knew who was gonna get ball so Louisville doubled Cat which he ended up throwing ball to Martin who mishandled the ball without putting up a shot. Again that is on coaching. IMO

Rick
    Keymaster

It is true we are not good enough to compete with the top teams in the conference this year but that shouldn’t stop you from pulling for your team.

If by “competing” you mean occasionally getting an upset, then yes Gott has “competed”. However he has not “competed” for a championship of any type nor been near the top of any standings.

pakfanistan
    Participant

He air balled a wide open three against FSU. I speculate it’s not ACC play that’s giving him fits.

Texpack
    Participant

I’m having posts disappear and/or just not show up. Have I ticked somebody off?

Rick
    Keymaster

I’m having posts disappear and/or just not show up. Have I ticked somebody off?

There are none pending and I have not deleted any.

packbackr04
    Participant

Rick or BJD, do yall think Gott would be looked at differently (by those in power) if he had not been given the extension right before the season started?

PackofMac
    Participant

Sooooooo tfoose1 can insult others without getting bent over mama’s knee??? Lol, reply or delete or whatever, not looking back. Just made me laugh for a second, pricks

Wufpacker
    Participant

Sooooooo tfoose1 can insult others without getting bent over mama’s knee??? Lol, reply or delete or whatever, not looking back. Just made me laugh for a second, pricks

‘foose didn’t insult anyone….he responded to an opinion.
    There’s a difference.

You, on the other hand, are once again slinging pointless barbs.

Well done.

Wulfpack
    Participant

You nailed it, Mista. Thanks for your insights. Those are tangible examples of what many of us are seeing with this program.

TheCOWDOG

I was at a Hollywood establishment(Barney’s Beanery,) when Miss Bonnie Raitt swiveled on her barstool and told Elvis Costello,

“You must have a real tiny dick to be so angry at everything.”

circa 1980.

mak4dpak
    Participant

This is the ACC, so just because a coach is highly successful in another conference, doesn’t guarantee they will do the same in the ACC. We are not having a good season, but have been in all our ACC games. Different team without Washington/Lacey, and an injured Henderson. Considering the success of the previous 3 coaches, I am happy with Gott. Though it probably won’t happen, this season still has time to turn around. So give Gott a break, as I don’t think anyone else could do any better with the state of this team. They may even do worse. As for DY, whoever think she should be fired, really are not concerned for the success we have found since she took over. Even Coach K had people wanting him gone in his first 3 seasons. But they didn’t and look at their success. One bad season should not merit being fired. Look @ Lowe, who stayed way too long, yet never made the NCAAs. DY took care of that, and we have been there every year. Be careful what you ask for, as you might get it. We do not have a good record when hiring former Wolfpackers, as coaches.

TheCOWDOG

BTW…Tip o’ the cap, Va!

Wufpacker
    Participant

BTW…Tip o’ the cap, Va!

tjfoose1
    Participant

I don’t know what the “92” signifies, but it’s probably not your graduation year. Anyone that seriously asks that question hasn’t watched college basketball for very many years.

Ditto

I lived in Owen dorm in 1992. (yay prison showers). Meet some of my best friends between there and Tucker. Good times.

So you’ve just recently become a college basketball fan? Serious question, not trying to be snarky.

tjfoose1
    Participant

‘foose didn’t insult anyone….he responded to an opinion.

Seriously, I do try to be cognisant of my wording to make sure I do just that when I’m critical. That is, be critical of the opinion, idea, opinion, etc vs the person.

For those times that I forget or otherwise fail, I apologize in advance. Admins – I have no problem with the quick-n-easy simple delete.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Ditto

So you’ve just recently become a college basketball fan? Serious question, not trying to be snarky.

So I will ask again for the 3rd time, could you list a few examples of frosh pg’s that have come in and carried a team? It seems like you guys are just evading the question here. Its not hard. If I am wrong I will admit it but please give me a little something to work with here instead of your condescension.

Wulfpack
    Participant

So I will ask again for the 3rd time, could you list a few examples of frosh pg’s that have come in and carried a team?

I honestly haven’t been able to think of any outside of Wall. I’m sure there are some examples out there, but it is rare.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Someone earlier mentioned the Tyus Jones example….in addition to Wall.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 186 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.