Gottfried reflects on loss to Terriers

Home Forums All StateFansNation Gottfried reflects on loss to Terriers

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I’m leery of making too much of “good” stats against so-so competition. However, Purdue’s two 7-footers only gave them a 37-31 rebounding advantage and State was even with Wofford. We need to see how they perform against the top-half of the ACC, but this looks to be one of Gott’s better rebounding teams at State.

PS – the bottom half of the ACC sucks.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

PS – the bottom half of the ACC sucks.

I hope we can all agree on this … fairly evident πŸ™‚

Wufpacker
    Participant

Which half are we?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Which half are we?

Good question. I would put them in the middle third, with a good chance of skipping Thursday in the ACCT. I generally save my first real look for Jan 1 when the preseason is wrapping up.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I agree, it’s a good question.

I didn’t agree w/ the media prediction of ‘9th’ at all, but I think it’s up in the air right now. On pins for the Tennessee game … and the results of the next 5 may tell us a lot (Tenn, WVa, LaTech, Cincy, Pitt) about our potential heading.

Tau837
    Participant

It’s another up late and blow the lead outcome that is becoming all to familiar with Gottfried coached teams.

Is it a pattern? Honest question.

To know that, we need to know the following:
    1. How many times Gott teams were “up late” (which needs to be defined) and ended up losing.
    2. How many times Gott teams were up late and ended up winning.

And to really treat this subject thoroughly, it would also help to know the following:
    3. How many times Gott teams were down late and ended up losing.
    4. How many times Gott teams were down late and ended up winning.

And we should probably narrow it down from all Gott teams to Gott’s teams at State. Anyone have anything more than anecdotal data on this?

13OT
    Participant

We can reflect on this game for another week, but despite what some say, including today’s News & Observer, which headlined that this was a “quality loss”, this was a bad loss.

This was ACC at home vs SOCON, and it wasn’t Clemson-level ACC basketball or Davidson-level SOCON basketball. This was a bad loss and that’s that. I think State will be a much-improved team in February and March, so this one should be laid to rest, especially if the Pack wins tomorrow night and takes care of Cincinnati later this month.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

IMHO raw rebounding numbers are the worst measure of a team that is used waaayyyyy too much. Looking at rebounding percentages is a much more effective tool because it takes into account tempo but more importantly how well both teams are shooting. For example a team could be shooting 80% for the game and getting all of their offensive rebounds but since it would be a low number people would say they are a poor rebounding team.

So looking at the too early to tell stats State is actually pretty good to really good in all aspects of the game except 2:
    1. Forcing TOs. This is particularly frustrating because it’s a trait of Gottfried’s teams and yet his team’s flurish in the fast break offense.
    2. Assist/FGM. This is showing the lack of command our team has in distributing the ball.

lawful
    Participant

First, I apologize for the post. Yep, I’m very frustrated. It looks like we’re setting up for a really good season and then…splat! As an alum and lifer I should deal with it and move on. In the end, I suppose making the tournament is making the tournament.

HOWEVER, as posted before, losses are losses. No excuses no matter what. There are no good losses. Losses are just losses. Quoting statistics is also for losers. Don’t get mad at me, I didn’t come up with that…but it’s probably true. Maybe we can be okay with the loss if they shoot 80% but that wasn’t the case. I could see that loss coming from the 10 minute mark of the 2nd. Until Wofford can out-recruit us, I refuse to accept losing to them. There’s a reason they hadn’t beaten us in 80 years. This shouldn’t have been the team that broke that streak.

At least my boys are learning what it’s like to be a state fan.

redisgood
    Participant

^^ The Assist / FGM would be a lot better if our bigs converted on their opportunities. I couldn’t even begin to estimate how many times the ball has gone in to Lennard or Beejay for what should be a relatively easy shot, but they either can’t handle the pass or flat out miss the shot. The opening sequence against Wofford was a prime example. Cat gave the ball to Lennard on a silver platter, and he blew the lay up. Forget Hess’ technical foul call, if Freeman makes that chippie we win.Gott has pointed out the lack of production from our bigs, and they definitely do have to improve if this team is going to finish anywhere decent in the ACC.

PittsburghPackFan
    Participant

redisgood: Big Men…

Good grief, this is what has me so frustrated. 10 games into their second year (well, not Abu) and the bigs’ progress is
    so
    slow.

Howell and Leslie looked so good in the High Post offense, how come these guys aren’t really contributing 1/4 of the way through their 2nd year?

Still cheering, mind you. Just wondering.

GO PACK

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

A Quick look at the game against Wofford and some things that stand out…

1. The tallest player for Wofford was 6-7 and yet Wofford grabbed 89% of their defensive rebounds. Folks that means State grabbed 11% (3 out of 26 missed shots) offensive rebounds. That’s what I call playing small and a contributing factor in the loss.
    2. On the flipside Wofford grabbed 23% of their missed shots, which means State grabbed 77% of their defensive rebounds. Again, playing small and a contributing factor in the loss.
    3. Wofford had 60 possessions in the game and State only forced 4 TO’s = 6.8%. Contributing factor in loss.
    4. With 11:00 left in the game, State holding a 43-34 lead, Wofford had a 5.1% chance of winning the game. That’s what I call a “bad loss”.

So far during this short season State has mainly struggled when possessions are <65 for the game with a record of 3-2, the 2 losses coming from Wofford (60 possessions) and Purdue (59). Meaning State struggles against teams that slow it down, grind it out, and force State from its strength to its weakness. For the record the 3 wins were USF (68-65 / 65 possessions), Richmond (84-72 / 64), and Boise State (60-54 / 62).

Stats are a tool, if you use the right one for the right situation you can help diagnose where the problem is and try to fix it instead of wasting time in areas that don’t need it as much. You can’t be good at all facets of the game but you need to be great at 3 of them. My personal opinion is if this team can’t operate in the half court offense better then they need to force more TO’s and push the tempo to their strength, which is their speed and athleticism. Here’s what I would focus on with State’s personnel:

1. Transition Offense
    2. Rebounding
    3. Pressure Defense to create TO’s.

Being great at #2 and #3 feeds #1.

At this moment, in most games, State is only great at 2 of the 3. Depending on the level of competition 2 out of 3 can get you a double digit win or a nail-biter. If you’re only 1 out of 3 that can be a close loss or getting blown out.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Which half are we?

Half full.

PapaJohn
    Participant

“Young Team” – I think that should not be dismissed. Who plays consistently well on our team? The experienced guys. The talented sophomores are all over the place.

Defense – I think we are better at defense because we are more athletic at all positions and tough to shoot over – not necessarily because our skills have improved. I think there’s a wide gap between us and a team that really plays defense well.

Wofford – I can’t tell you if they are going anywhere this year, but I can tell you they out played us. They played smart. They stole the ball from our “young” bigs. They had 4 turnovers for the game. They took good shots in the second half, and made half of their threes. They beat us on the offensive boards. Give them a lot of credit, they played well.

Offense – The bigs have got to play better for us to get anywhere. They need to give us about 20 points a game as a group. They have got to pass better. They have to catch the ball in the paint and score. They need to learn offensive rebounding.

These next few games scare me to death. We have the talent, but they are not playing like they know what they are supposed to be doing yet. Nine games in, I was hoping for better.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… agreed on this…

1. BIGS need to be BIG… No excuses…

I’m starting to wonder if it’s time to adjust the minutes played and let two of them know that they are our BIG MEN and we are counting on them…

While it’s great to have four or five guys who can come off the bench… it’s hard to play when you’re looking over your shoulder to check if Coach is taking you out… maybe that’s a factor in all of this… idk…

plus the kids don’t KNOW they can do it… UNTIL they do it…
    case in point… ANYA did play 36 minutes the other night and did not foul out…
    yes … these are baby steps, and yes it seems like it takes forever to get to what most of us consider to be a minimumally acceptable level…

2. It’s time to settle whatever it is that’s missing in the Lacy / Barbour combination… On paper, they look awesome… but we have not seen 30 minutes of ‘Awesome’ from them on the court…

Lacy is the only guy on the TEAM that has show he has the Will to Win…
    IF this Team is going to be as successful as it could be, then this is gonna be Lacy’s Team…

and GOTT & Company just need to tell Anthony that’s the way it is… ( IF they have not already done so… )
    rather than waiting for the light to come in Anthony’s head…
    and GOTT & Company need to tell Lacy to go for it… (and I’ll bet the ranch that’s already been done…)

fwiw… It took GOTT & Company until February last season to work the same thing out between TJ and that squad.
    so…. who knows …

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.