Gottfried Fired (Officially)

Home Forums All StateFansNation Gottfried Fired (Officially)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    LRM
    Keymaster

NC State formally announces that Mark Gottfried will not be back after coaching out the season pic.twitter.com/rk18cElQGK— Mark Armstrong (@Arms
    [See the full post at: Gottfried Fired (Officially)]

eas
    Participant

Why you fire someone then keep them until the end of the season is pure stupidity. If I were Gott I would roll dice on the bench during the games. Baby needs shoes….

eas
    Participant

Maybe we already have a replacement locked in but have to wait out the Tournament. That way we don’t look like idiots and everyone is bugging us on the coaching search. Maybe it’s meant to deflect a few weeks of silence.

MCG95
    Participant

Now is the time, like tonight, to bring Julius Hodge on as interim Head Coach. He will excite the players, he can’t coach any worse, and it’s a great opportunity for all involved. If it doesn’t go well, what have we lost? If he excites all, we could have our long term answer. He’s going to be a great recruiter and Head Coach someday, why not give him a chance right now for the rest of this season? Nobody will work harder or bring more excitement for the rest of the season.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

lol you guys need to stop asking for Hodge to be the interim coach.. you want to talk about an athletic program looking like a full fledged charlie foxtrot circus..

wolfbuff
    Participant

Loyal to a fault? We are as long as things are going right maybe. You can’t make that statement if we’re going to a boo your coach in front of the players in your own arena. Look, I had seen enough by half time of the FIRST carolina game to know Gottfried needed to go. Let’s all show true Wolfpack class and wish Gottfried well – somewhere else.

Adventuroo
    Participant

It’s over…..with little fanfare. This has been going on since Sunday. DY was tied up all day and not at the Women’s game. That was the first telling sign. The second was the snitch, or maybe the planned leak.

I don’t buy for a second that the leak came from the AD’s office. I think it came from the Gottfried Camp as part of the negotiations over severance or buyout.

Putting in someone to lead the team as an interim when you really have your sites set on an outside contender does nothing but create chaos.

If you really wanted to send a message, then you would want Gottfried to jump from the Bell Tower and proclaim on his way down that he was not a good coach.

He did a good to great job in the beginning and then lost his way via his crotch’s needs. BUT, we were not doing that badly, so we looked the other way. THEN would have been the time.

His request to finish out the season is not that unrealistic. SO, let it play out. The team does have some loyalty to him, so let them deal with it rather than a “DO IT OUR WAY” traumatic end.

If they rally and make a run, then we might be able to blame some of it on them as they certainly have NOT shown any consistency.

Odds are, we will win a game or two and still be eligible for the Brooklyn fiasco….or the NCAA Anti NC HB2 Extravaganza….

Never planned on going there anyway…..

All that is left is to speculate on WHO….How’d that work out last time? How many posters, me included, had Gottfried at the TOP of our list or even ON the list?. It was more of a Mark Who from WHERE?

packalum44
    Participant

Debbie Yow has a terrific track record of identifying coaching talent in various sports. One average hire (Mark was not a bad hire just average) does not make her an awful AD. Whether we score Archie Miller or not, the search is in very capable hands.

duckfatrules
    Participant

Is there realistically zero chance that a coach is named before that coach is finished in the NCAA?
    step one – fire coach – 2/16/17
    step 2 – announce a new coach – April
    are we basically in limbo for the next month with zero chance for any new information between now and then? they do it in football but it seems never in basketball.
    is there any chance a coach is locked up but not announced until after NCAA?
    Or, as Archie says, no one is willing to spend brain energy on where they may coach next year.

ryebread
    Participant

It’s over now and everyone can move on. The school can officially search. The players can play loose and for themselves. We can start re-recruiting them because they know they won’t be coached by Gott. Gott may actually feel the freedom to try some “crazy” things like full court presses, going 10 deep, etc. because what does he really have to lose? The fans can be civil. We will likely put a better product on the court.

No interim coach is needed or should be hired. That should only be done if one thinks they want the interim coach. What happens if that interim goes on a little run? Fools Gold given all the pressure is off. Just let Gott coach it out.

As for his tenure, it was a bad hire initially, but we got a couple of good seasons out of it. We ended up where I thought we’d be. Thanks goes to Gott and all those who were involved in the good years.

I hope we hire better this time. We hopefully have been working on this for a while.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

It hurts a bit to watch a good man self-destruct…

But when you’re not happy and GOTT no place to go…
    you sit…

Next year was setting up to be a high risk – carbon copy repeat of this year…
    Nothing was gonna break the fall except a termination…

Coach busted his a## for us… thank you Coach for that….
    —————-

Coach you’re gonna be OK… a little rest, a little vacation…
    Then something you enjoy will come your way…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

I don’t have any hard feelings, so long as everybody from the current side doesn’t leave and we have to start from scratch. Or we go on probation. I don’t rate either of those scenarios as super likely, so I wish him well in his future life/erotic adventures.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Why are there some folks on here that think the NCAA might be investigating us?

BassPacker
    Participant

What university gives a fired basketball coach a 2 week work notice? SHM. NC State is a joke when it comes to handling change. Kick his butt to the curb, let an associate coach finish the season. If he ain’t good enough for next year, he ain’t good enuff for 2 more weeks. Guess he needs more time to pack those trophies. More like more time to tell his trophy girlfriends goodbye.

TheCOWDOG

Debbie Yow has a terrific track record of identifying coaching talent in various sports. One average hire (Mark was not a bad hire just average) does not make her an awful AD. Whether we score Archie Miller or not, the search is in very capable hands.

Take note. I did.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

BJ…

The Old Tree in the backyard says…
    We’re not going on probation…
    unless there’s something in the fine print for “sucking”….

… and we ARE starting over… no other way to look at it honestly….

The only question is with whom…
    Let’s get the Coach thing right and I’m betting the players take care of themselves…

To GOTT’s credit… we are “starting over” at a much, much better place than with the last 2 or 3 Coaches…
    Thank you Coach for that!

BJD95
    Keymaster

You’ve at least got a reasonable foundation of ACC-caliber players in GFK, Markell, Dorn, Kapita, and two wild cards in Frenchie and Tall Atsur. I’d like them to come back.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Again, why are there some folks on here that think the NCAA might be investigating us? Where did that come from?

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Also, where did the rumors of coaches knickers often coming down originate? Posters here now I guess are just running with that like it’s proven fact.

Let’s get this all out in the open and quit talking around it

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Whether we score Archie Miller or not, the search is in very capable hands

You obviously missed the clusterfuck that ended up with Gott in Raleigh.

TheCOWDOG

AT…it came from real trolls…Okay? Nothing within, always from without!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

You’ve at least got a reasonable foundation of ACC-caliber players in GFK, Markell, Dorn, Kapita, and two wild cards in Frenchie and Tall Atsur. I’d like them to come back.

I’d like everybody to come back…. including Mr. Smith…
    another year in Rawlee would mean something to him… long term…

highstick
    Participant

I just want to track “tail numbers’ one more time!

Haven’t seen this “probation situation”! That would almost be hilarious! We could declare outright war on Swofford and have some fun!

Come to think about it, we might even find the guts to get out of the ACC and tell them to “FU”! Forget the money cause Swoff’s violated the terms of the agreement anyway!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

AT…it came from real trolls…Okay? Nothing within, always from without!

that’s exactly what I figured.. these festering rumors turn into gospel around here after a while.. let’s be classy and nip it in the bud

pakfanistan
    Participant

Gottfried has nothing for the collection of the glass menagerie.

Rather, do these trinkets give a flying pigs ass about themselves and teammies? There comes a time, ya know.

If they’re so damned talented, they should know this by rote…by now.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/audio/16533768/

Starting @ 6:05

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.