Gott Justifiably on the Hot Seat

Home Forums All StateFansNation Gott Justifiably on the Hot Seat

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

Here are the question marks for your candidates:
    1) Has coached up his squad defensively but the offense reminds me a bit of a certain coach year 1….Still I agree he should be primary candidate. He has done an excellent job at Dayton and I would be ecstatic if he is our guy.

2) Hoiberg – defensively his teams were average. Great offensive mind though and had excellent results at Iowa state. (Think about that.)

3) Cronin – very little NCAA success. Good bloodlines, but I don’t know if his teams are good enough offensively.

4) Randy Bennett – a) he’s a Sendek dopplegagger b) he’s a perpetual bridesmaid. I wouldn’t be surprised if he wasn’t able to get us past the Bubble range here in Raleigh.

5) Vinnie Del Negro – much more NBA success than Lowe. We could do much worse. Still, there will be a learning curve and it will likely be steep. Who knows how he will recruit and handle the day to day

Greywolf
    Participant

I’m almost positive Yow won’t do anything until after end of season but I do think she’s got the balls to fire Gottfried then. If were Yow I wouldn’t protect him because I hired him, I would cut his nuts off after I deep fried them and have them for lunch. He has caused her untold grief and aggravation. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned (or fvcked over as is the case here.) Gottfried was given the opportunity of a life time to coach in what was at the time — before he helped drag it down — the premier basketball conference in the nation. She and NC State have given him everything he needed to succeed and he failed. Don’t be surprised if she takes it personally.

Fowler was previously the AD from Middle Tennessee State or something like that who was in over his head at NC State. I don’t know why Mary Ann Fox hired him but I’d bet it was and interim solution to something with no expectation of leading us to prominence in the ACC. The professor who succeeded her was just that a professor with little care about athletic excellence and Fowler stayed on in a job he was ill prepared to succeed in. Not the case with Debbie Yow.

We will never know nor should we know but I’d bet that she is doing what we are doing — vetting the coaches we are interested in and talking to agents of those coaches to find those who are mutually interested. Some time after the coach we settle on is eliminated from the NCAAT, we will hire our next coach. Meanwhile expect her to publicly support Gottfried. It will be annoying but it’s the way the big boys play the game.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

If it were my position to select the next coach and it’s obviously not, I would search out and find a coach who as a player played hard-nosed defense.

I agree with your comments on character, but not so much with this requirement. What the next coach did in college (student vs athlete) is not important to me. What he did after moving into coaching is important. I want to see success in the W/L record, worth ethic and hustle on the court, and a distinct lack of players ending up in the local newspaper’s headlines.

Two coaches back, we had a defensive-minded coach, good character, and instilled that into his kids. But it didn’t turn out so well. The next coach’s resume needs to demonstrate that he can get good results on both ends of the court.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Meanwhile expect her to publicly support Gottfried. It will be annoying but it’s the way the big boys play the game.

I would have considered this to be obvious…but it clearly need to be stated.

packbackr04
    Participant

there was talk that the buyout would be done today (but not disclosed till end of season). any words out of the Dail Center?

choppack1
    Participant

Just some quick info on the data for some of these candidates…

1) archie’s 5 year average is much better than previous 5 years at Dayton offensively. That same 5 year span is a little worse defensively. It should be noted that his last 3 years is significantly better defensively, but that appears to be at the expense of the offense (which is a 95 average the last 3 years….But still an improvement of the last 5 years and last 3 years before he got there.)

My main concerns with him at this point are offensive…His teams remind me a bit of the first 5 years of Sendek, but then again – he is winning and his career is showing solid improvement.

2) Hoiberg’s teams were great offensively, but mediocre defensively though much better on D than Gott’s teams here.

3) Looking at Gott’s career at Bama – for a span there he had solid defenses, then it just got worse and worse. He may be a guy who is good at fixing stuff but lousy at running them after it’s fixed.

Greywolf
    Participant

Greywolf wrote:
    If it were my position to select the next coach and it’s obviously not, I would search out and find a coach who as a player played hard-nosed defense.

I agree with your comments on character, but not so much with this requirement.

Senior moment, brain fart. Of course you are correct. The coach needs a history of coaching defense or hiring an assistant who coaches good defense. Not playing good defense is an excellent way to lose by 20 to 50 points — or so it seems this season.

I think of it this way. Baskets that are a result of defense are 4 to 6 point baskets — 2 or 3 points denied plus 2 or 3 points gained. Baskets scored on offense are 2 and 3 point baskets. Looking at it this way makes it real easy to see why playing good defense wins games.

StateRed44
    Participant

I would throw the bank at Chris Collins. He is winning at Northwestern. We need someone with ACC ties. He may be waiting for K to leave but waiting at Northwestern has it’s own risks. I’d sure as hell call him, same as Arch and Marshall.

Rick
    Keymaster

there was talk that the buyout would be done today (but not disclosed till end of season). any words out of the Dail Center?

I am not sure why they would do that already. Heck if the rumors are true spend $500 on a detective and use the information to lower his buyout.

Greywolf
    Participant

No coach is a lock to win at NC State but any coach who learned under Coach K is worth checking out. (See my comments on baskets cause by defense are worth twice what baskets scored on offense are worth.)

44rules
    Participant

So what about Nate McMillan? Seemed he did a good job as an NBA coach and was well-liked by his players. Wouldn’t he be just as good as Vinny?

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

BJD95
    Keymaster

Arch clearly gets the first call, but I would kill to have Hoiberg here. Absolutely LOVE his style of play.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I would throw the bank at Chris Collins

Came here to say this.

Duke owes us for Vic Bubas.

ryebread
    Participant

chop: I think any candidates come with caveats. There’s no name that can be rolled out (short of resurrecting JimmyV himself) that there wouldn’t be counter points to. I get that you’re looking through things thoroughly, so here are some thoughts on your points:

1) Arch: Biggest concern if one sorts through the data is pace of place. The defense has significantly improved every year he’s been there, seemingly at the expense of offense but I think more at the pace of play. Will he run out or just pack it in like Bennett? The data suggests similarities to HWSNBN’s early years, but I’ve watched Dayton play quite a bit. They’re playing a very solid motion offense where the ball moves with the pass. HWSNBN played what I called a “four man stone” offense. Dayton is small and they don’t rebound that well, but they’re not conceding the offensive rebound (like HWSNBN’s Princeton offense teams did). But, by not getting those rebounds they don’t get a lot of those secondary attempts that are often higher percentage because the defense is out of position, which also results in fouls. Regardless, there’s enough there with the eye test, pedigree, data, etc. that this has to be the #1 target. I’d love to see what he could do with top level talent.

2) Hoiberg: I think you made the point that he did it at Iowa State. That’s like when Bennett did it at Wazzou. Those are some of the toughest Power 5 jobs. I think his style of play would be well received by NC State fans. I’m just not convinced he’s in play.

3) Cronin: I think you raise legitimate concerns about offense being the weakness and that becomes tougher in the tournament. Could he get better players here? I tend to think that answer is yes. He’s also had a lot of seasons where they were seeded in that 8-10 range, which makes for a tough second round game with a low predicted winning percentage. I like his toughness though. His teams aren’t going into Cameron or the Dean Dome and rolling over. They may start a fist fight, but they’re not laying down. We have lacked mental and physical toughness since V and that wouldn’t be a problem with Cronin.

4) Bennet: What he’s working with at St. Mary’s vs what any power 5 team is working with is night and day different. Don’t get me wrong, I prefer Few and have now since before we hired Sid. Few’s winning percentage against ACC teams is staggering. When we hired Sid, Few is the guy I’d have courted hard, but Few’s not leaving Gonzaga. He’s king of the campus and doesn’t have to deal with boosters. He’s not leaving despite every Pac 10 team coming after him. What Bennet has done year in and year out has been impressive (at least to me). If Few weren’t over there, he’d be ruling that league. It’s likely moot because he’s a West Coast guy, but he is someone I like and is a sleeper pick if one wants to go far afield.

5) Vinny: This is your “we’re lost in this search” level candidate. I personally don’t think we’d get past #3 on that list, but let’s say we did and Yow handles this one as badly as last time. We could do much worse than Vinny. Someone else asked why not Nate, and I’d prefer Nate, but he is coaching at the Pacers. Vinny is not currently a head coach. There are similar risks with them both, but I actually think Yow’s well positioned to put the team around a Vinny to help make him successful.

statered44: I like Collins best out of all the former K assistants. His dad was a great coach too and I think he has it in the blood. I think he or Brey is the next coach at Duke though, and there’s no way that Collins is taking any job that might take him out of the running for that. He’s got 2-4 more years of low pressure ball at Northwestern and maybe he shows enough to get that Duke job. I’m also not convinced given his love for Duke that he’s really going to go compete with them head to head very hard (or as hard as is needed). Collins at Duke and Arch at State would make the Tobacco Road interesting for years to come. Those stories just write themselves.

BJD95
    Keymaster

There is NO WAY I would give Chris Collins the chance to turn us down. Blech.

Mike
    Participant

Name a Duke assistant that has been long term successful. Many have had a brief run of success but none have been able to maintain.

And Collins? The only whiner I could not stand more than Collins was Paulus. I would take Hurley before Collins anyday.

How about though we stay away from Dookies.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Chris Collins has not done jack at Northwestern.

The search starts and ends with Archie. If we need to gove Marshall a call, so be it. If we swing and miss on both of those guys – let’s call it a day and join the Sun Belt.

StateRed44
    Participant

Collins won at Wisconsin last night. 19-6, 4th in Big ten currently.

Wulfpack
    Participant

The Big Ten is HORRIBLE this season. No teams in the top 16 (per the seedings). Only three in the top 25.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Archie Miller has taken Dayton to the tourney three straigh years (about to be 4). About to be five 20+ win seasons. One Elite Eight. If you want to compare Archie to Chris freaking Collins, I’m sorry, but there is no comparison. Collins may turn out to be a fine coach – who knows. But Archie is doing it, and he’s done it. And, he’s one of ours. It’s a no contest.

StateRed44
    Participant

I’m comparing Collins to others who would have no clue what they are getting into as far as the ACC is concerned. I prefer Archie as well.

NW hasn’t had a winning conf. record since 1968. NW has NEVER been to the NCAA tourney and had their first 20 win season LAST YEAR. You need to keep what Collins is doing in perspective. NW is the worst program in the P5.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Yup, the search needs to begin and end with Archie. Make em an offah he can’t refuse. Mortgage whatever needs to be mortgaged. Cancel the title 9 sports. Raise tuition. Build a wall. Do whatever needs to be done.

Prowling Woofie
    Participant

ABC11 reported on the 6:00 broadcast tonight that two independent sources have confirmed that Gottfried will be fired at the conclusion of the season, and that it almost happened after Saturday’s fiasco. Feelers have reportedly been sent to Archie Miller’s camp to gauge interest. NCSU is, of course, denying the report….

Wulfpack
    Participant

I’m comparing Collins to others who would have no clue what they are getting into as far as the ACC is concerned. I prefer Archie as well.

Archie has said clue. If it isn’t us that is able to snag him, it will surely be somebody else. And it won’t be freaking Northwestern. It will be a big time job. He has earned his stripes and it is high time for him to cash in.

Yea, the Northwestern job stinks. And up to this point he hasn’t finished better than 9th in the Big Ten. Color me unimpressed.

BJD95
    Keymaster

He’s apparently gone. NOW.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 102 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.