Gott in Favor of 20 Game ACC Schedule

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Gott in Favor of 20 Game ACC Schedule

Tagged: ,

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

“At the same time if you consider that’s more games against higher RPI teams, that’s got to help your RPI.”

That’s Gottfried’s argument – that an expanded ACC schedule would help the league secure more NCAA tournament bids, because it would force teams to play, in theory, to more games against quality competition. The counter to that, though, is that if the ACC adopted a 20-game league schedule, teams would likely be less willing to play more difficult games outside the conference.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article76742087.html#storylink=cpy

BJD95
    Keymaster

Huzzah, me too.

PackofMac
    Participant

More appropriate question for Gott…..when are you holding basketball tryouts and what is the age limitation?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The counter to that, though, is that if the ACC adopted a 20-game league schedule, teams would likely be less willing to play more difficult games outside the conference.

We’re only talking about two games…changing from ~12 OOC games to ~10. Wny would teams that routinely have good OOC schedules change? Those teams with consistently weak OOC schedules would simply continue their current “strategy”. So I wouldn’t expect an increased ACC schedule to have much impact on OOC scheduling philosophies. The big thing is that more conference games should lessen the delta between the weakest and the hardest conference schedules.

Here’s forum news that new to me….I highlighted Wuf’s last sentence and hit quote. Only that sentence showed up in the reply box and it was correctly attributed. Who knew?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I’m not buying the improved RPI either. Two games out of a 30+ game schedule would make a difference, but it’s unlikely to be huge. What it would do in some instances is give bubble teams more shots at a Top 50 win…which might payoff for those like it did for Syracuse this year where their top wins overcame their RPI ranking of 72.

Rick
    Keymaster

Here’s forum news that new to me….I highlighted Wuf’s last sentence and hit quote. Only that sentence showed up in the reply box and it was correctly attributed. Who knew?

I figured that out by accident a while ago. It is a nice tidbit.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I knew. But I love quoting more than I love breathing.

FergusWolf
    Participant

But I love quoting more than I love breathing.

And we love it when you quote people, particularly Rick

FergusWolf
    Participant

I figured that out

I knew

Huzzah, me too.

Sorry, just practicing. Forum Olympics slot on the line.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I figured that out by accident a while ago.

I knew

Then you should have shared with those of us that are a little slower. 🙂

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

K has been quoted in the past as being against increasing the conference schedule. With Duke’s traditionally tough OOC schedule, it’s hard to understand why.

It would be interesting to hear Yow’s thoughts with respect to how an increased conference schedule would impact finances. Increasing the conference schedule might force State to give up one of their home games against teams that don’t require some sort of home/home arrangement. While the conference game would likely put more butts in the seats, it probably wouldn’t increase season ticket sales.

Increasing the conference schedule would also push more conference games into December. For most fans, this would be a good thing since it should produce more compelling match-ups than the standard Nov/Dec games.

Rick
    Keymaster

But I love quoting more than I love breathing.

And we love it when you quote people, particularly Rick

Brilliance should be repeated 😉

Rick
    Keymaster

I figured that out by accident a while ago.

I knew

Then you should have shared with those of us that are a little slower. :-)

I always had you in the fast category, pakfan is the one I had tagged as slow.

I keeeed. I keeed.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Use it wisely grasshopper. The habit in a certain light blue forum is to quote the entire thread in a response. Of course they do like to hear themselves talk…

BJD95
    Keymaster

Duke doesn’t like road games. Neutrals only.

Wulfpack
    Participant

We are sticking at 18 for now. May come up again next year.

Also, ACC football divisional realignment officially died as a topic at the meetings.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article77069592.html

BJD95
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some kind of “Blue veto” in place. Would anyone??

Fastback68
    Participant

Why not just go to 41 ACC games? That way some of our players would be a tad closer to being half-a– ready for the NBA.

ACC Network – LMFAO

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.