Going forward

Home Forums All StateFansNation Going forward

Tagged: ,

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    McCallum
    Participant

To the recruiting aspect: win and it will take care of itself

Tennessee and unc are both down. State has a chance to gain ground on two programs who sweep up significant in state talent.

Rising Penn State fortunes mean 1 or 2 per year heading up there.

Unless there is s defensive line breakdown by State on Saturday the game will hinge on turnovers.

McCallum

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I’m seeing Notre Dame with a -305 moneyline (meaning $305 to win $100 for the tea totallers). I’m quite tempted to drop $300 on the Irish to hedge my emotions for Saturday.

McCallum
    Participant

Damn gambling.

McCallum

choppack1
    Participant

Regarding gameday, it creates the Marquee match up for college football fans that day (assuming it’s not some feel good match up like Yale Harvard.

Imagine Sunday night football if folks didn’t have to work the next day.

It definitely helps recruiting and just as imprtantly it starts creating expectations…”if we go here, we will get this.”

I am exhausted…just got back from Hong Kong and brain is fried and no doubt will have that awful cold that lady in the seat in front of me had.

choppack1
    Participant

Oh yeah…like maccalum said, this one is likely that old football adage, turnovers and kicking game.

ryebread
    Participant

Grey: I was at that Miami game as well. It was over before we ever really got out of the starting gate. The same happened against Ohio State as well. For all their bravado and bluster, outside of FSU and that ND Gator Bowl win, all of Amato’s teams post Rivers never really looked like they thought they could win.

Rivers was the wizard behind Oz….

McCallum
    Participant

Grey: I was at that Miami game as well. It was over before we ever really got out of the starting gate. The same happened against Ohio State as well. For all their bravado and bluster, outside of FSU and that ND Gator Bowl win, all of Amato’s teams post Rivers never really looked like they thought they could win.

Rivers was the wizard behind Oz….

The UConn game was conclusive to me that Amato was in over his head. The inability to retain staff or properly replace staff was so obvious that Stevie Wonder could see it.

The Miami game was a clear game of silly bravado by State. The Ohio State game in Raleigh was a 5 turnover game where State physically dominated the game.

What a waste of time.

McCallum

Greywolf
    Participant

I keep reading how game day helps recruiting — said by a lot of posters I respect. I don’t get how Game Day helps recruiting. Game Day is for the fans not the HS kids. I acknowledge that Game Day can help brand recognition some but some supposedly knowledgeable people haven’t got that we are NOT the holes as recently as the Pitt game.

Off the top of your head who hosted Game Day 4 weeks ago? 6 weeks ago. Can’t remember? That’s about how much Game day helps recruiting.

The activities planned for official visits pretty much take up Game Day for our visiting recruits. Many of the highly recruited kids are on official visits to other schools. How does Game Day help in recruiting?ll Game Day which at one time was an exciting event now is old hat to young people. And to some old farts such as myself. Game Day? Boooooorrring!

I’m willing to listen. In what ways do you see Game Day once every 5 or 10 year helping in recruiting.

I’ll go so far as to say what I think helps recruiting. Videos such as One with Wolfpack Football produced every week made available to recruits and prospects. Never heard of One with Wolfpack Football? Skate over to Gopack.com, look under sports and click on Archived Stories. Here’s the link for Episode Nine: http://www.gopack.com/news/2017/10/23/one-with-wolfpack-football-episode-9.aspx?path=football

Schools like Clemson are regularly getting these videos in recruits hands. Sweeney learned it at Alabama. Kids getting these videos start wanting to go to Alabama, Clemson and other big time recruiting schools before their junior year in high school. NC State is leveraging recruiting that way now. Producing these videos takes talented staff, facilities and funding.

We have the staff now, the facilities now and the funding apparently. We didn’t before “dull, boring Doeren.” The video facilities are under Doeren. Football is the top priority. Basketball will benefit too. Debbie will see to that.

Back to recruiting. The OVs, official visits, are planned and carried out by the recruiting staff. Nearly all recruits say what a great time they had on the OV or how impressed they were with the family atmosphere at NC State or how impressed they were with our campus, our facilities, our academics. Thunder Dan doesn’t just build bodies of athletes on our roster, he helps with recruiting. He keeps a book of before and after pictures of kids who have lost bad weight and/or added muscle. The recruit sees what coming here to NC State can do for him physically. Other stats are kept and noted for recruits. Thunder Dan Burnette is more than a guy who keeps athletes in shape and build bodies, he is a true asset to recruiting.

The obvious stuff such as meeting with the position coaches and the conversations these guys have often makes the difference. Our coaches are family men with core values like their boss. We attract young men who appreciate those kind of values and want to spend their 4 or 5 years in college mentored by those men.

All these activities are organized by the recruiting staff — where and when the activities take place, when recruits meet with position coaches, meet with Doeren, etc. The players who serve as hosts are paired up with recruits to optimize relationships. Nothing is left to chance. This is recruiting that makes a difference.

This is the kind of recruiting that makes a difference with the kind of young men we are now attracting to NC State. Game Day obviously helping recruiting? I don’t think so.

Fans are jumping on the Wolfpack bandwagon because we are winning. The foundation for that winning started when Dave Doeren accepted the Head Coach position. It takes time to do things the right way. It has taken time for us to build the solid foundation that will serve us for a long time. This would not be possible without Debbie Yow and Randy Woodson. We don’t hear what they do but they are doing what needs to be done to make NC State successful.

Recruiting with substance, not flash in the pan Game Day help.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^What Grey said, Game Day don’t mean chit. But Grey, you can have all of the above, and if you don’t win, then the recruiting plateaus or spirals. That was my initial concern with Doeren. Not enough “W’s” to help build momentum. It appears we’re in for our best season in years, and like Mac say, the W’s will do more for recruiting and coaching and program relationships than anything else. Staff has a great plan, and it is paying dividends. Now just be in these next two games with a shot to win.

Rick
    Keymaster

Grey is looking very prescient right about now. He has stuck to his “DD is doing it right” guns despite some serious grief from many posters. I never saw what he did but I also have never claimed to know that much about football.
    I have come to the conclusion that we are a “build to a year” program and I am OK with that as long as we make that occasional year a good one. It seems we have the opportunity if we can just grasp it. Win one of the next two and I think we are going to have that special year.

BTW I don’t believe DD is here for the long haul. He seems too upset about fan’s past lack of confidence in him. My guess is he is gone at the first good big job but if he leaves us better off we can’t be too upset.

Greywolf
    Participant

Rick, good to see you back here.

You might want to check on DD’s current attitude. I got a little frustrated with some of the fans lack of confidence in him myself. That was then. This is now. Doeren isn’t too different with the lights out at home than the rest of us. When he checks with the wife he might give some serious thought to staying. No job is worth that upset. Jerking his kids away from their friends and schools is inconsistent with DD, the man.

His coaches and staff have bought into his vision for NC State and seem happy here in Raleigh. More than one of us has declined higher paying jobs for lots of reasons. I wouldn’t count on DD leaving. I’ve been to Slingsh!t, Mississippi. It ain’t another Raleigh, North Carolina.

Besides, he will have a hard time finding a chancellor with whom he can jam on the guitar. 😉

Rick
    Keymaster

Grey,
    You seem to have your finger on the DD pulse so I hope you are right.

Greywolf
    Participant

I have come to the conclusion that we are a “build to a year” program and I am OK with that as long as we make that occasional year a good one.

I admit that’s what it looks like, Rick, but that’s not the kind of program DD is building.

From his biography: “Doeren’s one goal for the Wolfpack? To become a championship team. He makes no bones about his desire for his team to compete for a championship on a conference and national level. He believed then, and is even more sure now, that the only way to play at a championship level is to work hard together to get there. He knows that it isn’t an overnight process and is committed to doing it the right way.”

I’m not the only one who believed. Those recruits who accepted scholarship offers believed as well. Some time back Mr. DOG wrote about believing, saying it came first IIRC. Some, a few but some, are saying this team won’t be denied. Chubb says of his team mates, “We are the most confident team in the country.”

We have staff and coaches who believe and are enrolled in DD’s vision. Will it be this year? Could be. More than likely in 2019.

Rick, our w/l record may look like we are a “build to a year” program, but we aren’t. I say we are a “compete for a championship” program. And if we aren’t, Doeren will see to it that we become one.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Hello Coach Rick !!

Back just in time for a big finish to football and the start of roundball…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Rick
    Keymaster

Hello Coach Rick !!

Back just in time for a big finish to football and the start of roundball…

Hey bill,
    I took a break for a while. I was pretty frustrated about how the coaching search played out. I have made my peace with it but frankly I am not sure how much I will watch bball. I am struggling to get excited about a past time that has more in common with pro wresting than a real sport.
    I have been trying to watch the football team when I am away from the soccer field. They are an enjoyable team to watch and seem to be the antithesis of past “great” Wolfpack teams.
    Thanks for asking as you are one of the posters I missed the most.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Rick… while the off court bball scene is rotten to the core…

I got this feeling that our new Coach and his crew are going to exceed most everybody’s expectations…

As for football… I’m convinced that this Team will not quit and will ‘leave it all on the field’ and we’ll be damn proud of them regardless of their final W-L record….

Rick
    Keymaster

Rick… while the off court bball scene is rotten to the core…

I got this feeling that our new Coach and his crew are going to exceed most everybody’s expectations…

As for football… I’m convinced that this Team will not quit and will ‘leave it all on the field’ and we’ll be damn proud of them regardless of their final W-L record….

I imagine they will exceed them but, given the uneven playing field, they have zero chance to win any titles. It’s hard for me to enjoy something that is rigged. Maybe I have been too hard on the basketball coaches in the past given what obstacles they faced. Well except Gott.
    And yeah, I agree about the football team but would like to see a good W/L record as well.

Greywolf
    Participant

^What Grey said, Game Day don’t mean chit. But Grey, you can have all of the above, and if you don’t win, then the recruiting plateaus or spirals. That was my initial concern with Doeren. Not enough “W’s” to help build momentum. It appears we’re in for our best season in years, and like Mac say, the W’s will do more for recruiting and coaching and program relationships than anything else. Staff has a great plan, and it is paying dividends. Now just be in these next two games with a shot to win.

whiteshoes67, Just 2 guys talking Wolfpack football, okay? We are winning in the 5th year, right? How did we get the players we have? We weren’t winning. You could read here every day that we hadn’t beaten a P-5 program with a winning record. As you say not enough W’s to help build momentum.

But the winning that is going on now is coming AFTER Doeren made this program what it is, NOT before winning made this program. I think we fool ourselves with this simplistic thinking that winning will take care of everything. Mac has got the cart before the horse or more simply put he’s got it bassackwards. Winning doesn’t take care of everything, Taking care of everything takes care of winning.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Winning doesn’t take care of everything, Taking care of everything takes care of winning.

This is ‘game,set, match’ !!!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I imagine they will exceed them but, given the uneven playing field, they have zero chance to win any titles.

This. It should be clear to everyone here now that the cheating, deception, and defrauding never ceased over there.

SqlWolf
    Participant

This. It should be clear to everyone here now that the cheating, deception, and defrauding never ceased over there.

I’m glad to see posts from some of you old regulars here. I was wondering what sent y’all away. I know what did it for me was my total frustration at the quality of the play on the court/field. I eventually felt indifferent as a fan and stopped posting on this site and more importantly stopped caring to even listen to a game on the radio.

I still haven’t watched a football game in person or on TV this season. I’m unsure of what to expect when basketball season starts. I came back to lurking the forum here. You can call me a fickle/fair weather fan but as a State alum, I’ll always love being a member of the Wolfpack.

I must admit I heard of the “One with Wolfpack Football” series. If both football and basketball programs use this type of documentary/marketing approach, I believe they will succeed at attracting more interest from HS kids and even convince them to commit to State. These episodes are like having an insider view of the life inside the program (player and coach). It’s given me more appreciation of what Doeren thinks and is doing with the program. It’s really heartwarming to hear the stories of the other coaches and what they bring to the program. I like what I’ve seen and it is beginning to show on the field with W’s. Perhaps, “Going Forward”, I’ll feel better about watching a football/basketball after the ND game. Not sure if I’ll listen or watch. It’s a coin toss right now.

gso packbacker
    Participant

I admit to having an extended case of the Southwest Airlines “need to get away” syndrome last year, and basketball season just about did me in altogether.

In retrospect, what made a difference for me was attending the Coaches Caravan in Greensboro with Doeren, Keatts, and Moore. Something about seeing them interact the way they did, playing off of each other and not just going through the usual motions, made a bit more of a connection for me.

Maybe it was all a big act, but I liked the experience. I felt as though I got to see into their world a little, and departed feeling a little rejuvenated. To SQLWolf, I think that’s what I liked about the One with Wolfpack Football series.

Sure, I still watch with highly managed expectations, but it beats feeling as though I can’t watch.

Greywolf
    Participant

I must admit I heard of the “One with Wolfpack Football” series. If both football and basketball programs use this type of documentary/marketing approach, I believe they will succeed at attracting more interest from HS kids and even convince them to commit to State. These episodes are like having an insider view of the life inside the program (player and coach). It’s given me more appreciation of what Doeren thinks and is doing with the program. It’s really heartwarming to hear the stories of the other coaches and what they bring to the program. I like what I’ve seen and it is beginning to show on the field with W’s.

^
    This

Caution: reading ONE with Wolfpack Football may be dangerous to your skepticism.

StateRed44
    Participant

I don’t care how nice he is or how good the promotional videos are, I want to win a conference title. I want to win one this season, period. Been way too long. This Notre Dame game should be fun and all and I’d love to grab a W, but lets see how great they are against a fading Clemson. That’s the one we need to get.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Expectations seem to be on the rise.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 170 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.