Going forward

Home Forums All StateFansNation Going forward

Tagged: ,

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    tjfoose1
    Participant

He’s in over his head.

tractor57
    Participant

Who? The Hat? My point being people thought the Hat was the second coming – maybe not so much now (and that might be totally wrong given the circumstances). People also thought Dabo was a poor choice for the Tiggers. It is not like he has shamed himself. Maybe this is too much or maybe coach D is growing into the job as the team grows. The rest of the year is important for the here and now but what happen next fall will be equally important.

YogiNC
    Participant

T57, we have a lot of seniors, but we also have a lot of 2s & 3s with a great deal of experience. What has really amazed me is just how potent our receiver corp is. I just wish the other Hines had stuck around. One thing about it, there ought to be at least one top notch QB out there that wants to be the next Ryan Finley. You know there are some receivers that would love a chance to catch his passes.

Smarter than the average bear

Greywolf
    Participant

One thing about it, there ought to be at least one top notch QB out there that wants to be the next Ryan Finley.

We have a 4-star commit, Devin Leary, who may have ambition beyond being the next Ryan Finley.

“Leary, who committed to NC State in April, had a successful Elite 11 Finals earlier this month. During his Pro Day workout, he scored a 44, which was the best out of any quarterback that day.”

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/6/30/15906594/nc-state-qb-commit-devin-leary-opening-finals

freshmanin83
    Participant

Qb U has it covered.

tractor57
    Participant

YogiNC and next fall will show if we are now to a level of having “next man up”. I think the Pack is there but I see that as the next big step after the current season is over. Certainly better than where we were when Coach D was hired. In college football as we know the issue is always having that depth.

McCallum
    Participant

N=1 is so tantalizing.

McCallum

YogiNC
    Participant

Grey, thanks for the reminder about Leary. The point I was trying to make is we have some talent and skills now on the back end. I remember last year DD saying it was the first year that he actually could know who the 2s and 3s were. When you think back to year one and two it was bleak, we barely had 1s much less backups. I heard some of the pundits talking on the playoff show and State is on their list. We may not be the focus of the narrative right now but there are those who think we could change the view. The last time that happened was 15 years ago. What I’d love to see on Nov 4 is Lee Corso wearing a wolf head.

Greywolf
    Participant

He’s in over his head.

Maybe this is too much or maybe coach D is growing into the job as the team grows.

More likely as D grows into the job, the team grows.

Who? The Hat? My point being people thought the Hat was the second coming

Fedora? All hat, no cattle.

Greywolf
    Participant

When you think back to year one and two it was bleak, we barely had 1s much less backups.

Year 2? Not so bleak. 8-5. Jacoby, Shad, and others. We didn’t notice because we were so busy pointing out year 1’s record and mistakes. Same as now… So busy noticing what D hasn’t done, we miss what he has done. Hard to miss it now.

And that idiot, Cole Cubelic, who said the Pack was a long shot for the natty, doesn’t seem like such an idiot now, does he? Cole wasn’t looking in the rear view mirror to see where we were going. 😉

Greywolf
    Participant

Qb U has it covered.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh. Jay Davis, Marcus Stone, Harrison Beck, Pete Thomas and too many others I can’t recall.

JeremyH
    Participant

Hmm..Leary.. little guy with a chip on his shoulder, good instincts and a cannon for an arm. That’ll work.

YogiNC
    Participant

Grey, I was talking in terms of the talent on hand. State was the second youngest team in the nation. Top end recruits still take a bit of time to mature, gain strength and knowledge. Very few are superstars from day one, Mario Williams withstanding.
    It was a wonder that team won 8 games. The out of conference schedule had more cupcakes than a bakery and the only conference wins were WF and cuse who were both 1 – 7, and the UNX game that truthfully stunned most of us and more importantly THEM. The game that produced the “blue collar team” label.

The depth of the depth chart didn’t challenge a parking lot puddle. I clearly remember how everyone was hammering Hux about the defense and how bad a coach he was. And now he looks like a pretty good DC. One thing is for sure the defense is stout. After the letdown of that third season is where DD decided Canada was not the man. I also remember tons of comments that DD was stupid for letting Canada go and keeping Hux. Isn’t it funny how that worked out.

Now all that said the truth is the margin between failure and success can be mighty thin. A field goal and an in the hands interception would have produced vastly different outcomes last year. I’d be willing to make a large wager that DD and the staff have used that more than once in teachable moments since the end of last season. A false start here, a fumble there, a missed opportunity (take away the VERY FIRST play of this season and we’re 7 – 0) makes for poor results. My high school coach said over and over “performance does not take a time out, when the ball is snapped you have to be 100% IN THE GAME”. It’s funny to me how that one statement has translated to so many facets of my life.

tractor57
    Participant

Like Yogi I think it was an issue of having experienced and talented players – obviously talented but not quite ready for prime time. What we are seeing so far this year is that talent with experience. I also think Coach D has grown into the position and has made some moves with staff that have been good. I also think next season will say a lot about building that pipeline of talent and experience. Regardless Pack football is better than it has been in decades for at least one year – I think that will continue but time will tell.

YogiNC
    Participant

Looks like Hines will get some help next year.

Ricky Person

QB that is considered really good and in state leading rusher. My bet is that if we continue to have a really good year we’ll pick up a few others along the way.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Maybe this is too much or maybe coach D is growing into the job as the team grows.

Valid retort. Can’t argue with that thinking, especially since I share it. But that’s not the point.

The point is folks on this site were calling for his head before he had been here a full year. More joined in over the next couple of years, and continued to join in. Anyone who bothered to assess vs just whining and b!tching could at least see potential, and a plan, and that he wasn’t shy about making ‘corrections’ when they needed made. At least those who waited 4 years had a logical, defendable argument.

That concludes my drive-by for the season. Gotta go clean off my boots.

Go Pack! See you in South Bend.

Greywolf
    Participant

Tractor57,
    I don’t know if it’s okay for me to speak favorably about Doeren here on SFN — I’ve been ridiculed for doing so in the past. I’m like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football that Lucy is holding. I guess I’ll never learn. 😉

I also think Coach D has grown into the position and has made some moves with staff that have been good.

If you are talking about strength & conditioning and the Recruiting staff, definitely some very good moves. I especially like the Director of Creative Media, Trevor McEntire. Have you seen his creation, “Mount Rush-no-More” with the faces of the senior defensive linemen in place of the presidents?

The only coaching staff moves he’s made are a WR coach and when

DD decided Canada was not the man.

The rest have been promotions.

From Dave Doeren’s coaching bio:
    “Doeren’s one goal for the Wolfpack? To become a championship team. He makes no bones about his desire for his team to compete for a championship on a conference and national level. He believed then, and is even more sure now, that the only way to play at a championship level is to work hard together to get there. He knows that it isn’t an overnight process and is committed to doing it the right way.”

What I see as significant is the replacements seeing DD’s vision and the culture he is creating here and wanting to come here to coach — to be a part of this culture. Des Kitchings left for a day or 2 and came back, CB coach George Barlowe decline to follow Franklin to Penn State, George McDonald coming to coach WRs, Eliah Drinkwitz coming to be the OC, Dwayne Ledford to coach OL, Dan Patrick to coach DL, Aaron Henry jumping at the chance to replace departing safeties coach Clayton White.

Our nation aligned with President Kennedy’s commitment to have a man on the moon “in this decade” before we had the technology to put him there. Our coaching staff aligned with Doeren’s commitment to compete for a national championship before we had the players to get it done. Our players, too. Chubb is quoted as saying he came back for his senior year because “we’re not done.” I thought at first it was some goal of the D-line until I realized he was talking about 1Pack1Goal.

Chubb also said that this is the most confident team in the country. We may not believe but the Pack does. If the players believe, why not me?

We haven’t come close to playing our best game. If that game is next week at ND, the Wolfpack is going to be hard to deal with.

freshmanin83
    Participant

It may have not been reality but what it seemed like was that if any positive comments or optimism were offered on this site then it was met with criticism. Maybe it is just that the passion for the Pack to do well was so deep that when it did not happen and it has been a long time that it was a defense mechanism or something.

It sure is sweet to see some success now and have hope for the future. Thanks Mrs. Yow.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Dwayne Ledford to coach OL

DD’s best move yet.

Nope, you missed this one. Ledford came from App.

Greywolf
    Participant

Nope, you missed this one. Ledford came from App.

To replace Coach Uremovich, who moved up in his profession to OC at Northern Illinois. Promotion was a poor choice of words because they left the NC State program for the “promotion.”

My point, poorly made, was that coaches sought out positions with Doeren when they opened up.

TheCOWDOG

Lookie! My buddy ‘foose.
    I’ve made some Gladys-like efforts to get Wuf and Beej back, but…
    Just the same, they’re doin’ just fine.

ryebread
    Participant

DD fired the S&C coach and he also fired the DB coach who came with him from Northern Illinois. He’ Not afraid to make changes, which I appreciate. TOB was way too loyal. Amato had no one who wanted to stay.

Ledford was a fantastic hire and I thought so at the time. Hire like and we’ll be in very good shape.

Drink is proving good, though right now I could be the OC with this roster and line. We’re still not good enough in the red zone for my liking. Given the situation (outside perception of our program and that position after firing Canada), then it was probably a pretty solid hire.

I was in the minority who thought Canada was the right one vs Hux. Canada was rumored to have other issues outside of the product being put on the field. He also had been interviewing. On the field I thought we were really predictable relative to formation and motion and Mississippi State completely blew us up when they had a month to prep for us. With Hux people wanted him gone but I still think that is DD’s defense for good or for bad.

ryebread
    Participant

Good to see foose. Wish Wuf and BjD would come back.

TheCOWDOG

Rye, it’s Doeren’s influence on the D. Drink’s free will within Doeron’s….conceptual frame.

I have to believe the redzone plays have not yet been revealed in its entirety, although I’ve seen some pretty nifty s**t down there. One must always remember that there are professionally astute D coordinators on the other side of the ball, too.

McCallum
    Participant

The combined record of State’s opposition up to this point is 26-20 and two of those teams were ranked at the time of State beating them. That is a .565 winning percentage.

If you remove State from the equation the combined record of those teams is 25-14. State out of the equation results in teams State has played with a .641 winning percentage vs a .692 average for the next four teams they will play.

Let’s take it easy on the Gordian knot cutting themes.

McCallum

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 170 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.