Game Thread: Wolfpack Football at South Alabama Jaguars

Home Forums All StateFansNation Game Thread: Wolfpack Football at South Alabama Jaguars

Viewing 22 posts - 151 through 172 (of 172 total)
  • Author
    tjfoose1
    Participant

“It’s time for Russell to move on. He’s no longer focused on football and is just hurting the team. Glennon will be better anyway.”

Wufpacker
    Participant

“Tol Avery once broke Lawrence Taylor’s nose.”

tjfoose1
    Participant

Jacoby Brissett has a higher NFL ceiling than Philip Rivers or Russell Wilson.

Higher ceiling? Can’t say I see that, or even considered it as a possibility. But I’m no QB guru.

The Wolfpack was/is certainly blessed to have each one of them, no question.

Though both are great leaders, I don’t see Jacoby carrying the teams that Wilson did.

Those Wilson lead teams win 3 games w/o him. His one year in Madison showed what he could do with an OL and running game.

But anyway, to be a QB in the NFL requires greater accuracy than JB has shown to date. If Jacoby is to have any chance of a career in the NFL, he’s got to show better accuracy and consistency in his deeper mid to long passing game.

Not a knock, not at all. Love the guy and what he’s done for the team and program. Just an honest assessment.

Also, though they had their faults, TOB and Bible deserve much of the credit for developing RW and getting him NFL ready. I LOVE Canada as a college OC, but he has yet to show how/if his tutelage and system/concepts translate to effective NFL prep.

tractor57
    Participant

I think Brisett has NFL potential. Rivers and Wilson are beyond that. Higher ceiling? Maybe but I honestly doubt it. I hope he can take that step but that’s a wish and not an expectation.

BJD95
    Keymaster

The ceiling part is that if it all comes together for Brissett…he’s the COMPLETE package. He has absolutely everything on the checklist. No “needs to overcome questions about X.”

TheCOWDOG

I’m inclined to agree with Beej. There’s more I’d say to back this up, but I don’t wish to jinx the dude going into the Loovuhl game.

Tau837
    Participant

To say Brissett’s ceiling is greater than Rivers and Wilson is to say that Brissett is talented enough to not only start in the NFL for 15 years but also to play at a Pro Bowl level or better. I hope you guys are right, but I don’t see that level of talent and potential when I watch him play. I also think this comparison is selling both Rivers and Wilson short by a lot.

BJD95
    Keymaster

You’ve got to understand that saying “ceiling” means there’s maybe a 10-15% shot he hits it. Just that such a ceiling exists. VERY different from the floor. PR and RW have set the bar very high, no doubt whatsoever.

But if Jacoby’s accuracy stays this good, on top of his insane arm strength…just watch the dude’s mechanics. And his measureables are straight out of central scout casting.

Tau837
    Participant

You’ve got to understand that saying “ceiling” means there’s maybe a 10-15% shot he hits it. Just that such a ceiling exists. VERY different from the floor. PR and RW have set the bar very high, no doubt whatsoever.

I understand what ceiling means. But to say you think there is a 10% chance that he will be better than Rivers is to essentially say you think there is a 10% chance that he is a HOF QB. In the NFL’s modern era, which dates back to the 1950s, there have been 23 QBs selected for the HOF, and we know that Favre, Peyton, Brady, and Brees will join them, and also probably Warner, Roethlisberger, Eli, and Rodgers. So you are saying you think there is a 10% chance that Brissett is one of the top 35 or so QBs to play in the past 60 years.

It is possible, but I think you are overstating both his ceiling and the likelihood that he reaches it. That caliber of QB is usually much more of a standout in college than Brissett has been.

Just look at the first page of his Rotoworld page: http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/130836/jacoby-brissett. There are criticisms about inconsistency, fundamentals, accuracy, needing to get faster at progressing through his reads, spraying throws, getting rattled by pressure, and fumbling. One analyst rated him as the #18 QB in the nation in August. There are many positives noted as well, of course, but the point is that QBs of the caliber you are referencing don’t normally have these types of flaws in their game after 4 years of college football.

But if Jacoby’s accuracy stays this good, on top of his insane arm strength…just watch the dude’s mechanics. And his measureables are straight out of central scout casting.

I seriously doubt he will maintain his current accuracy of 77.9%. He is obviously going to face much better defenses going forward and also will not have the luxury of playing with a comfortable lead like he has had throughout this season so far. His accuracy was below 60% last season and was a weakness. I certainly hope it will improve this year given the experience he gained last year, but it isn’t reasonable to believe it will stay as good as it has been this year.

Anyway, having said all that, I’m a big JB fan and I hope you are right.

BJD95
    Keymaster

No, won’t maintain 77. But if he stays 65-70, he will rocket up draft boards.

Fair points, all.

TheCOWDOG

Not so fast. If receivers had managed to hang on to a mere half of the 34 drops…Brissett is at 64%, and we ain’t having accuracy issues here.

Tau837
    Participant

All teams drop passes.

I don’t want to be drawn further into a discussion that sounds like I’m criticizing Brissett, so I’ll stop now. I made my position clear enough. And, again, I’d love to be wrong on this.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Cowdog, (off the topic) does the number 12 have special meaning to you? I wasn’t aware of SFN in 2009 when you wrote that excellent piece that Paki recently re-posted under the Bo Rein topic. It came to me after reading that…I think.

TheCOWDOG

Yes,Wolfanatic. #12 was king. Check out the vid of the ’73 ACC Anniversary. Near the end, 2 guys are doing something different than the rest.

Tau. All teams do drop passes…but not at that clip.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Not sure where to find that video.Checked gopack dot com, but nothing from search. Funny, but a couple months back we were talking about Sam and his “rules” on hair. You asked me what word he used for our hair and I recounted a brief testimonial. Little was I aware, at the time, that it was you that he “spoke” to after me that day. Still laughing.

TheCOWDOG

Youtube has it…easy Google. Funny thing…Sam and Lou both seemed fixated on my “moss.”

Speaking of #12…Bruce Shaw 12,he and current #12,JB, throw exactly the same ball. Crisp, zip, mustard,all describe it.
    No gloves in my time, so Shaw could leave your fingertips smokin’. I’m pretty sure Jacoby’s would,too.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Cowdog, found it. Thanks. Speaking of Shaw, I still have a fairly pristine Technician special 1972 Peach Bowl Edition. The cover is Shaw talking to a much younger, bespectacled Lou. Shaw was good, as was that 9-3-1 team. A tough 1 pt loss to the Cheats, and a tough 6 pt loss to the Dogs in Athens (which I went to), but a total thrashing of Bobby Bowden’s Mountaineers in the Peach Bowl. Good ol’ days…

Texpack
    Participant

I understand the “Brissett has a higher ceiling” stance. He has a better delivery and mobility than PR and he’s taller than RW. Hopefully we will see him throw a saddle on his back at some point this season in a clutch spot. That’s the biggest missing entry on his resume’.

DD was very smart to go sign him when he did. Thank goodness for Will Muschamp too.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Wufpacker
    Participant

Sam and Lou both seemed fixated on my “moss.”

Is you a hippie, son? Take some pride in yourself and cut that mop. And also…because I SAID SO!!!

redisgood
    Participant

Shad arrested again Tuesday night. Seriously?

redisgood
    Participant

The charge sounds like what Jerry and his friends got arrested for in the final Seinfeld episode.

Viewing 22 posts - 151 through 172 (of 172 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.