FSU's Winston going pro

Home Forums StateFans Football FSU's Winston going pro

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ruffles31
    Keymaster

Winston going into the NFL Draft

Quarterback Jameis Winston won’t be back in a Florida State uniform next season, instead opting to enter the NFL draft.

Winston confirmed the decision in a statement issued late Wednesday morning by The Legacy Agency, which will represent him. Winston’s father, Antonor Winston, had told ESPN earlier Wednesday that his son had decided to enter the draft after initially planning to announce the decision after Monday’s College Football Playoff National Championship presented by AT&T.

“After weighing this decision with my family and friends, I have decided to declare for the 2015 NFL Draft and forgo my remaining eligibility at Florida State,” Winston said in the statement. “I reached this very difficult decision after careful consideration and long thought, realizing how difficult it would be to say goodbye to my family at Florida State. I am eternally grateful for the opportunity to wear the garnet and gold and have greatly enjoyed my time as a Seminole, both as an athlete and a student in the classroom.”

A couple of thoughts:

1. Not surprised at all. Good luck to him. Glad that the Pack D doesn’t have to face him 2 more times.
    2. I am not sure how this would affect him with playing baseball this spring for FSU. At the bottom of the article, it says:

The QB will be represented by Greg Genske of The Legacy Agency. Winston, a pitcher at FSU who was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 15th round in 2012, also chose that agency to advise him in baseball. NCAA rules allow baseball players to have advisers and maintain their eligibility.

3. I heard on the DG show a few minutes ago (not sure why I didn’t turn it), but they had Shaun King on. King said Winston is a no-doubter #1 pick. He has great footwork and has never had any issues…on the field. He isn’t worried about the off-field stuff. He went on to say he isn’t sure Mariota can play because of the system they run at Oregon. Pretty strong statements by King.

redisgood
    Participant

I hope he ends up with the Jets somehow. They deserve each other.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Yes, somebody needs to f-ck Woody Johnson right in the p-ssy.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Since I told ya’ll back in October… the boys down at Kens on Tennessee Avenue had this confirmed…
    nobody should be surprised…

No What Ifs about… I’m sure Jimbo will sleep like a baby tonight…

Adios MF!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

“I am not sure how this would affect him with playing baseball this spring for FSU” – I would be shocked if he is on campus; there is no way he is going to class (assuming he has ever gone to class).

I listen to a lot of sports radio and all the talking heads/experts whose opinions I respect say there is no comparison between Winston and Mariota (as in that Winston is far and away a better pro prospect than Mariota). I can understand that and appreciate their evaluations. However, were I an NFL GM, in desperate need of a franchise QB there is no way I would draft either of them. I’d draft the next best player or trade the pick to the highest bidder and hope I can find my guy next year. I’ve heard a lot of experts talk about Winston’s high football IQ, but he comes across as a mental midget to me. I see Winston being an NFL bust; maybe not to the degree of a Ryan Leaf/Jamarcus Russell, but a bust nonetheless.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

^Jamarcus Russell, Christian Ponder, and E.J. Manuel were all mentored by Jimbo Fisher, so you may have something there. The number one pick of the draft stands to rake in about 25M guaranteed. I can’t see giving that to Jameis based upon his character and immaturity. Can his ego and sense of entitlement get any larger? We’ll find out. Hopefully, Bucs GM Jason Licht passes on both Jameis and Marcus and trades the pick with the intent of rebuilding the offensive line. No QB would have been successful behind that line this past season. Absolutely no one. If the offensive line is rebuilt, then quite possibly the Bucs already have their QB in #8. Go Mikey!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.