FSU Allowing Students Concealed Weapons on Campus

Home Forums All StateFansNation FSU Allowing Students Concealed Weapons on Campus

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    BassPacker
    Participant

FSU is going to allow students to carry concealed weapons on campus if the bill passes. In a story by CBS News, they cite the sexual assault incident with Star QB Winston as example the need for it. And the recent student shooting in campus library. Can you imagine if this happens…like giving martial law to students. This is a bad idea IMO.

tractor57
    Participant

It is a political thing. Safer or not? Who knows as lots of guns are carried without concealed carry. I can see points from either view but in the end I think this is political fluff to get the voters attention.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Do you have a link to the article? Using the Winston (alleged, because he’s never been charged or convicted) assault as an example of the need for concealed carry is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

What’s the rule? If they’re closer than 21 feet, you (probably) don’t have time to get your weapon out? God only knows what the estimate would be for someone who doesn’t train with a weapon semi-regularly. What good is a pistol or rocket launcher you don’t have in your hand when the perp is already in your room sitting next to you. A weapon isn’t some magical panacea against assaults.

Situational awareness is always the A #1 Ichiban best form of self defense. As Mr Miyagi said, best defense, no be there.

I don’t know if this is a good or bad idea, but if that’s their reasoning….dummmmbbbbbbb

redcanine
    Participant

If I’d had a gun in college, I’d have sold it for pot and booze.

Gowolves
    Participant

I have my conceal and carry permit but I DO NOT think this is a good idea at all! Really stupid in my opinion.

Rick
    Keymaster

In NC you have to be 21 for a CCW. Is that the case in FL? If so it probably does not impact a lot of people in college.

YogiNC
    Participant

As a side note, you must be 21 in Florida to get a concealed carry permit. That would easily knock out at least 75% of the students (probably more since there are many more first, second and third year students students due to attrition). And as has been noted most are just trying to survive on what little disposable money they have and probably would not purchase a gun and go through the training. Concealed carry has quite a few monetary requirements in addition to the cost of the gun itself. In NC you can easily spend almost 200 to get a permit for the first time. I could see it being monetarily restrictive as to who could actually get the permits. And as red noted there are other more pressing wants for kids at that age.

Smarter than the average bear

BassPacker
    Participant
    pakfanistan
    Participant

Thanks for the link. This lady is delusional…

“If I was single and dating in college and my boyfriend tried something that I said no to, and started sexually assaulting me, I would use my firearm to defend myself,” Students for Concealed Carry co-president Rebeka Hargrove said.

No, no you wouldn’t, because at that point it’s far, far too late.

And this dude gets it.

Florida State University Police Chief David Perry disagreed.

“That would have exacerbated and made our situation even worse,” he said. “To have two or three or more people with weapons yelling commands, people firing rounds that can’t be accounted for, that’s just not a good mix.”

wufpup76
    Keymaster

“If I was single and dating in college and my boyfriend tried something that I said no to, and started sexually assaulting me, I would use my firearm to defend myself,” Students for Concealed Carry co-president Rebeka Hargrove said.

^In the past, I would just think ‘ok, good for you – stop him’.

But now that radical third-wave feminism permeates a lot of campuses almost everything is a “sexual assault” now. I really have no idea how she – or anyone, really – defines sexual assault anymore. In some radical feminists’ eyes, a man looking at woman “the wrong way” constitutes “assault”. Is it ok to shoot him? How much more tragic could the UVa rape ‘hoax’ have been? The “rape culture” moral panic is getting out of hand. The overwhelming majority of people – even young people – are decent, rational people … that even includes those with penises.

I firmly believe in people being able to defend themselves. I’ve got no problem with conceal-carry – not sure how all the laws work in each state. But I agree w/ paki that the line of reasoning used by some is pretty unsound – even if we may be coming at that conclusion from different angles.

YogiNC
    Participant

In NC you have to learn the laws and take a test. One of the things all of the instructor/certifiers stress is use of deadly force. There are lots of fine lines draw when the necessity of using deadly force is allowed. A CC permit does not allow the use of a gun just the ability to carry one concealed. Once you draw it from your holster or place of concealment a totally different set of laws kick in. Obviously the young lady who made that remark doesn’t understand the ramifications of crossing the point of carrying vs drawing. Even with laws on the books about being able to defend yourself against bodily harm does not mean that they won’t be out to get you if you do. I give you Travon Martin and Michael Brown, both bodily harm perpetrators and both men who shot them faced formidable actions from the legal system.

tjfoose1
    Participant

What about Roy’s BB gun?

highstick
    Participant

Where are the Lorena Bobbit’s of the world now!

Anyhow…when you have an honor court dishing out so called justice for rape cases, if I was a female on campus, I’d carry a few straight razors and dare you!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ms. Stick ….

If you were a female on campus … you wouldn’t need those razors..
    ’cause you’d have nothing to worry ’bout…

#CoyoteUgly

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

^… NOW that was freaking hilarious. I almost fell out my chair laughing. The Ms. stick was a bit over the top though, don’t you think bill?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^check that…
    typo… Freudian slip on the fingers…

#idk
    #CoyoteUgly

YogiNC
    Participant

But..but…but bill, the s and the r are typed with two different fingers and on two different rows. I do understand brain farts but personally Ms. Stick was the perfect setup to the rest of the post.

redcanine
    Participant

Hot chicks with guns turn me on. These FSU girls just became even sexier. I’m seeing Laura Croft strutting it in the quad.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^^ busted…

by Yogi da bear..

BJD95
    Keymaster

You all will fundraise for me when I run for President on the “Guns and Drugs” ballot line, right? I’m using Hunter S. Thompson and Bill the Cat as inspiration.

Ack!

highstick
    Participant

Bill, when you were at State, I understand the “coeds would walk over the railroad tracks to avoid you lurking in the tunnels”???

BTW, you’ve never seen this “tight little booty” that I carry around. But none of you guys ever got to witness “The Stick” wearing a Pink Tutu at a hockey game back in the late 90’s Short story, but that’s what happens when you have a few too many during a Saturday morning golf game. I wish I had thought to contact the TV stations in a couple of South Carolina markets to get copies of the videos that were on the 11 o’clock news. That was the night that “The Stick” moniker went viral!

And BTW, Mrs. Stick’s moniker is “Powerplay”!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Mr. Stick…
    When I was at State…

1. Freshman year… There were n not enough coeds to matter… then they opened the floodgates and let ’em all in…and it still didn’t matter… all the cute ones lived on the north side of Hillsborough Street

2. I don’t remember any of them ‘running in the opposite direction’… on either side of Hillsborough…

3. Pink Tutu might have been cute… but you know the old saying… A little Stick in a Pink Dress is still a little Stick… or something like that…

4. You’ve totally failed to rebutt my original statement stating your lack of need for razors… but thinking about that pink tutu probably reminded you of your ‘butt issues…

Old Man… you need to stand up for yourself…
    or is that Powerplay’s job?

highstick
    Participant

Bill, Yo mama said that when she dropped you off at State, she got a ticket for littering!

“Floodgates”? Wow, we had very few when I was there from 63-65, but when I came back in 70, it was like night and day. I’d gotten used to the “Meredith Gestapo” before so when a young State coed asked me up to her room one night, I thought I’d died and gone to heaven.

You know the story about “Walking softly and Carrying a Big SticK”? I’ll leave it at that, but at 69………………………well, speaking of 69 since that might be a better option anyway. Bout all I get out of Powerplay anymore is “promises”…You’ll find out…Tried those pills one time and I scared the hell out of her…Gave new meaning to the “Energizer Bunny”.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Yo mama jokes… really ???

#CoyoteUgly

#littleStick

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.