Football Program rumor

Home Forums StateFans Football Football Program rumor

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Greywolf
    Participant

Spring practice starts in a couple of days (Sunday). I know we are in the middle of an exciting basketball run but this popped up the other day.

Rumor has it that Doeren has a board that all of the players names are on for both O and D. If a player has a number behind his name that means he has been tardy for class by the number shown. 1 tardy means you go to practice the next day at 5:30 and run until they tell you to stop. 2 means you and your position show up at 5:30 and run until they tell you to stop. 3 means you and your side of the ball show up at 5:30 and run until they tell you to stop. 4 means find another program because you are no longer welcome on the team.

Is there any truth in the notion that he stole the idea from Fedora?

pakfanistan
    Participant

Is there any truth in the notion that he stole the idea from Fedora?

Seems unlikely since Fedora said he doesn’t even know the majors of his players.

And, I have never been a D1 athlete, but holy crap 4 tardies and off the team seems harsh. I get that doing things the ‘right’ way is important and being on time to class is part of that, but it seems like there could be some leeway if the grades were good.

Heck, I slept through most of my senior year in high school and none of the teachers cared because my grades were good. Although admittedly I tried to do that my freshman year at State and it went…poorly.

Texpack
    Participant

At tOSU, according to my son, there is a monitor located outside of every football player’s classroom to note who shows up and when. I don’t know if Urban Meyer makes them run or not, but he is certainly tracking tardies.

This makes it very clear what the expectation is and those kinds of consequences should serve as motivation for those not otherwise inclined to make it to class on time.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^^ I tried the sleeping technique my freshman year as well. The biggest thing I learned that year was that I was going to have to put forth a great deal more effort than I ever did in school.
    I like holding the team to that kind of standard if it’s true. Not sure about the 4 tardies and you’re out, though.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^Add ‘This is an early-to-rise team, the early wolf gets the ram’ to the plaque 🙂

Greywolf
    Participant

The late wolf gets the runs. 😉

Mike
    Participant

Dont know the truth to the rumor but I like it.

Tardy once and the player suffers. No big deal to others.

Tardy twice and your fellow position players have to run too. No one wants to be the guy to make their teammates run too. It’s called accountability.

Three tardies, and the whole O or D side runs. You know some team leader is going to get in the face of the offender and make sure it does not happen again.

THIS is how programs are built. THIS is how TEAMS are built.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.