First Wave of Coaching Changes

Home Forums StateFans Basketball First Wave of Coaching Changes

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 259 total)
  • Author
    triadwolf
    Participant

Go to the link and scroll down to look at the men’s basketball staff – interesting…

http://www.rolltide.com/genrel/022306aao.html

triadwolf
    Participant

Can’t get the link to show – anyway go here:

redisgood
    Participant

What? It’s only been 7 years. They’ll get it fixed eventually.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    Texpack
    Participant

Local media this morning had GM at the top of the list in Austin

Barnes would be the best coach Tennessee has ever had.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Awesome hire by UT. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Obviously Alabama is suffering from the Technology Virus that plagues it, AR and MS….

But, at least they have ONE pilot and he is not listed as “Crop Duster”. Most of the MS pilots are also crop dusters on the side….I knew MORE folks in Greenville, MS that had pilot’s licenses than another place that I ever visited.

It is a different world down there….but having lived in Woodland, NC, it is definitely different from any other place that I have lived in NC and I have visited or have relatives in places where I will only go with locals and have a 44 mag and a big knife….

Gotta love it……

Roll Tide…

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

VCU’s Shaka Smart in discussions with Texas about coaching post

If Smart turns down Texas, the Longhorns likely are turn their attention to Utah’s Larry Krystkowiak and Xavier’s Chris Mack.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25129409/vcus-shaka-smart-in-discussions-with-texas-about-coaching-post

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Cincinnati’s Mick Cronin cleared to resume coaching

Bearcats coach Mick Cronin was cleared to resume coaching on Monday after missing most of the season because of a problem with a blood vessel in the back of his brain.

Larry Davis took over and led the Bearcats to the NCAA Tournament, where they lost to Kentucky in their second game…

Two schools have contacted Davis about open head coaching jobs, impressed with how he handled the team during Cronin’s absence.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cincinnatis-mick-cronin-cleared-resume-coaching-184832528–ncaab.html

Wufpacker
    Participant

Go to the link and scroll down to look at the men’s basketball staff – interesting…

To be fair, most folks in Tuscaloosa wouldn’t know a basketball if they tripped over it.

Funny looking football, they might say.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Indirectly tied to coaching carousel:

The 10 highest-paid coaches in college basketball

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-10-highest-paid-coaches-in-college-basketball-2015-03-27?page=1

Wulfpack
    Participant

Okie State could be open.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Hadn’t heard about that

The Oklahoma State Cowboys are considering the possibility of firing coach Travis Ford after the team was ousted in the first round of the NCAA tournament for the third straight year, sources confirmed to ESPN.com’s Jeff Goodman.

The chance of Ford being fired is “50-50,” one source close to the situation said.

The news was first reported by The Oklahoman, which cited multiple unnamed sources. The move would trigger a buyout worth at least $9.6 million, according to the Oklahoma newspaper, which reported the amount as the remainder of Ford’s contract.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12590918/oklahoma-state-cowboys-mulling-travis-ford-firing

EDIT
    Tried to give credit to Oklahoma newspaper, but they want people to pay to read. Really?

Gowolves
    Participant

9.6 million buyout at Okie State. That’s a lot of cash for basketball even if you do have T. Pickens in your back pocket. See Ga. Tech.

Wolfanatic
    Participant
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Vice President of Athletics Ray Anderson met Monday with Duke associate head coach Jeff Capel, azcentral sports confirmed. This is believed to be the first face-to-face meeting ASU has had with a candidate to replace fired coach Herb Sendek. The location of the meeting was not known.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaab/asu/2015/03/30/report-asu-meets-with-duke-assistant-jeff-capel/70685830/

BJD95
    Keymaster

Has any mid-low major been sad enough to show any interest in HWSNBN?

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

I don’t understand recycling Capel so soon (at least not at a school in a power 5 conference). Not very impressive sans Blake Griffin.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Has any mid-low major been sad enough to show any interest in HWSNBN?

Nothing that merits linking, but apparently Utah State flirted with HWSNBN.

Seems more likely to me that this was more media manipulation from Herb’s camp to help keep his name from being completely irrelevant in the coaching carousel. It must really fry sports columnists that most State fans have known for years about HWSNBN’s media tactics. I think we all know what quote merits repeating here …

“Herb Sendek has removed his name from consideration.”

WolfWiz11
    Participant

HWSNBN

My ignorance is showing again. But can someone please define what I believe is likely a hilarious nickname for Herb? I’ve only been on the forums for a couple years now.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Take off on Harry Potter

He Who Should Not Be Named.

Might as well include that I still use: HSSS

Herb Sendek Sunshine Squad

WolfWiz11
    Participant

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. So simple. Thank you, kind sir.

I don’t know what I’m going to do until football season. Can never get into baseball.

JeremyH
    Participant

Sunshine Squads I assume live in daylight compartments while they chop wood.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Almost every State coach has/had a Sunshine Squad, but Herb’s went to extremes that I’ve never seen before or since. Many of my entries the first two years at SFN were focused on dismantling their BS.

Believe it or not, one of the charter members was recently seen recycling that BS on the PackPride thread on his termination.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

The Herb Sendek era at NC State could be used as a case study in many areas:

Fan psychology
    Media narrative (feels before reals)
    Media manipulation and ethics
    Logical fallacies (The ‘Herb’ persona could do no wrong)
    Fan self-esteem and sense of worth as tied to following sports
    The business of college sports
    What qualifies as ‘success’ in college sports – results, image, etc?
    Does a head coach have to ‘fit’ a program and fanbase?

And so many more … It’s fascinating. I believe a wide swath of the HSSS participated more so because it fell in line with the Monteith et al narrative of “we don’t cheat! we’re good guys!”. If the HSSS truly judged on merit and results then I have a hard time believing a high number of people would choose to retain after Year 5. Two kinds of people – those who exist and those who apologize for existing.

Add opportunistic media “personalities” to the mix and never before has “5 consecutive NCAA appearances!” been a darker time.

We just are getting some fresh air around the program. Thirty years without breathing takes a toll.

Anyhoo, sorry for my off-topic rant.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 259 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.