First Wave of Coaching Changes

Home Forums StateFans Basketball First Wave of Coaching Changes

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 259 total)
  • Author
    JeremyH
    Participant

Lavin turned us down…two searches ago. (So did Beilein, Kruger?) Times sure have changed.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The first time that I ever really thought about Az State basketball was when Bill Frieder quit Mich right before the NCAAT started. That probably wouldn’t have stayed in my memory were it not for Bo Schembechler’s famous quote when Frieder offered to stay until after the NCAAT was over… “a Michigan man is going to coach a Michigan team”. After that tenure ended poorly, I basically came to the decision that the school was as much of a desert as the countryside….and that was before Herb soaked them for 9 years of salary (+ buyout).

Here’s an article on what the next ASU coach needs to know:

In 1975, Sports Illustrated…[writer] Curry Kirkpatrick…wrote: “Above all the wackiness in the (Western Athletic Conference), there has been the spectacle of an exciting Arizona State team and nobody in Tempe caring.”

Forty years later, not much has changed.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaab/asu/2015/03/25/what-arizona-states-next-basketball-coach-needs-to-know/70462952/

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I’ll never understand media people’s narrative when it comes to Herb.

Know your place. You can’t do any better. Why are you even trying to do better? This is an exercise in futility. You’re not Duke.”

What the hell?

Mike
    Participant

I’m concerned about possible mid-air collisions with all of these searches going on. If Barnes moves to Knoxville he can save on wardrobe costs by continuing to wear orange stuff that has UT on it. Gott’s name will surface in one of these for sure. Especially if we win one or two more games.

Texpack, I am not that concerned about Gott leaving. Either of those programs would be a step down IMO and I think Gott is happy here to be building the program he is.

It is an honor to be considered and money always comes into play, but I cant see TX or TN giving him significantly more than we are. But I hope we win a few more games and his stock rises!

Wulfpack
    Participant

I like the hiring of Price at Charlotte. Outside the box hire.

Barnes not expected to return to Texas. Haven’t advanced past round of 32 since 2008. It’s time.

Marshall to Bama, Tennessee, or Texas? I don’t know. What else can he do at Wichita? Might be the right time. He will be paid handsomely.

Sean must be in Archie’s ear. Only leave for a tip-top job (like Sean did for Zona). And we now see how that has worked out.

JasonP
    Participant

Anyone tracking Donovan’s plane?

rky
    Participant
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Great run for Barnes. You just got the sense they were treading water in a fast and exciting Big 12. Marshall and Shaka with some early interest?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

news flash…

To no one’s surprise…
    HWSNBN has “removed” his name from consideration for the position of Head Coach at the University of Texas…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    redisgood
    Participant

This may give us another shot at Eric Davis. We were his 2nd choice behind Texas. That would be an incredible get for us.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I really think that there should be a banner headline about Ricky Ticky. We have lusted over him and had countless dreams about him coming to Raleigh. Now that he is “on the market”, we seem to cast him aside like yesterday’s news.

How can we be so cruel to a person that probably has occupied (on the BB discussions) a significant amount of our discourse.

It is interesting, the “Usual Suspects” are already supposedly “circling” over the remains of each program. We have the Capel bird spotted in AZ and the Marshall Balloon soaring high above watching everything….and the Smart drone doing double barrel rolls as it collects data from each site. However, the Mama Smart Bird has her fingers securely on the controls of that drone and the AD’s should be interviewing HER rather than HIM…..

Ask DY about how Shaka’s COMMITTMENT worked out….

Did I leave out DePaul and AL and ??????. Really need a dedicated APP for the rumors and the openings.

Will Ricky Ticky be a “Has BEEN” at age 60. JimB in CUSE land says he is like the Worlds Fair….Bigger and Better every year.

Alas RTB, we knew you well and wanted you more….but alas and alack, we seem to be satisfied with our present occupants of the Case Center….BUT, if someone DAST lure away one of the second level flock, you MIGHT just get a phone call…

BJD95
    Keymaster

Query – does Purnell take a year off and wait for GT to open up? TN could do a lot worse than him if not.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Queries…

Does Texas have enough money to make Mrs. Smart happy?

Can Marshall talk to Texans in ways that make Texans happy?

Will there be at least one more big chair open up this post season, in which case, Texans could find themselves looking for a steer instead of a bull?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    BJD95
    Keymaster

I don’t see Marshall’s ego ever going anywhere where he will ALWAYS be second fiddle. Personally, think he will retire/die at Wichita unless he goes to Kentucky when Calipari hangs ’em up.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Well now…the final four is set….

Who do we have? Mikey (he ain’t leaving). Izzo (Sp?)….not likely. Wisconsin (really is Bo gonna stray) and Cal….yeah.

So, if the above is true, then the REAL Dance has begun…..I do NOT know all the assistants. Capel’s name was thrown out for Herbie’s job by someone that probably knows less than I do.

There SHOULD be some really interesting “bedfellows” next week….

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

DePaul brings Dave Leitao back as coach

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/depaul-brings-dave-leitao-back-coach-202558906–ncaab.html

Does this mean that both the school and coach are desperate?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Gregg Marshall interested in Texas job, indicates Alabama should save its energy

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/28/8306775/gregg-marshall-texas-longhorns-alabama-wichita-state

The open questions:
    Is Marshall satisfied being a big fish in a small pond?
    IS Marshall ready to take on Kansas and the rest of the Big12(-2)?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

More on Texas

Report: Wichita State’s Gregg Marshall interested in Texas vacancy
    http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/03/29/wichita-state-gregg-marshall-texas-alabama

Texas targeting Shaka Smart, not Gregg Marshall, report says
    http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/texas_targeting_shaka_smart_no.html

Conflicting rumors, who woulda thunk?

Wulfpack
    Participant

I think he knows he has accomplished about as much as he can there. Time to step up.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Jeff Goodman has evidently found another school to “put in their place”

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/alabama_is_not_going_to_get_gr.html#incart_related_stories

“You’re not going to get Gregg Marshall, Archie Miller or Shaka Smart,” Goodman, a respected and well-connected national college basketball reporter for ESPN, said during a phone interview. “You can throw those out.”

Two coaches Goodman said he could see as potential fits for Alabama are Murray State’s Steve Prohm and Louisiana Tech’s Mike White.

Goodman also mentioned Stephen F. Austin’s Brad Underwood and Valparaiso’s Bryce Drew.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^

respected

I seriously do not see why. I’d love for this to actually be proven instead of just created through the power of the pen. These hacks can hold too much sway if they’re allowed to. I can’t see why any self-respecting AD would ever kowtow to the likes of Goodman.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Duel of the Hacks

Goodman says ‘no chance’, Parrish says Alabama AD is meeting w/ Marshall today.

Professional circlejerkers and clickbaiters united.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Marshall pretty much said that he would listen to Alabama after the NCAAT. So I don’t see why anyone would be surprised.

I was wondering if anyone would notice the “well-respected” in the blurb I quoted. Thanks to everyone that has resisted the urge to link an article from Doyell or Dave Glenn. There is only so much stupidity that can be absorbed in a single day.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Alabama Athletic Dept Balance Sheet (or at least as close as we can come)

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetails.aspx?756e697469643d31303037353126796561723d323031332673656172636843726974657269613d3331336436313663363136323631366436313236373236343734336433333266333333303266333233303331333532303331336133323339336133313337323035303464267264743d332f33302f3230313520313a32393a313720504d

The odds of that link working appear small. Here’s the bottom line:
    Total Expenses: $115.4M
    Total Revenue: $152.6M

I think it’s safe to say that Alabama can afford to hire a good basketball coach.

EDIT
    The link partially worked. It takes you to the first page on Alabama. Hit the “Revenues and Expenses” link to see the breakdown by sport and totals.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 259 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.