First Wave of Coaching Changes

Home Forums StateFans Basketball First Wave of Coaching Changes

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 259 total)
  • Author
    marinewolf
    Participant

tough for Bobby Hurley to have to replace a legend-ask acc broadcaster Steve Martin and various espn personel

YogiNC
    Participant

It’s a step up in salary and exposure. If he does well he won’t be there long.

Smarter than the average bear

Rick
    Keymaster

It’s not like Herb left some huge Dean Smith like legacy he has to overcome.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

It’s not like Herb left some huge Dean Smith like legacy he has to overcome.

I don’t think ANYONE has left a legacy of excellence at ASU.

The thing you have to balance is what will happen to your career if you ~fail~ at ASU like everyone else?
    Will this be your one shot at a power conference school like Jeff Jones at UVA?
    Will you get a second shot like Gott if things go badly?
    Would you be better off if you waited for a top tier job like Shaka did at Texas?

Of course, giving up Buffalo for Phoenix would certainly be a no-brainer for most people.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Bobby is obviously an enterprener….look at the Horse Farm venture. You gotta have that “I can do anything” attitude to be a winning coach.

He will also be in a high visibility conference….thanks to Shawn and the UCLA “mystique”, so if he does well, especially against Shawn, he has a ticket to stardom.

I want to know what Herb’s next gig will be…..will he now sit next to Seth and Vitale or whomever. Herbie the color (Bland GRAY) commentator. That is a picture….and it would be a great Sleep Aid product.

I remember after the triple OT game that he commented that it was time for a late night snack….needed a hoagie as he was exhausted. Problematico. He was ON RETAINER to Bo Jangels. I’m sure THAT went over well….and I do NOT think that he as the Bo Spokesman next year. Herbie is NOT Jimmy V. or Sidney Lowe or Mark Gottfried….I think that he, out of all of our coaches (perhaps EVER), is the least suited for the Broadcast Booth or the Analyst’s table.

What, then will Herbie DO? Maybe the Hair Club for Men will pick him up and let him be a poster child….

I, DO, wish him well….but right now, if I were he, I would be taking refresher IE and Computer Science courses and thinking about a mid life career change…..he is smart…no two ways about it. Case Western Reserve is no Slouch School….

Interesting to see how THIS plays out….

Wait a MINUTE….I GOT IT….he can join Bubba’s staff at UNC as the “academic guru”. PERFECT….

MP
    Participant

So now, let’s have a look at the “next tier” coaches not HOF’ers or deemed to be ‘potential HOF’ers’ (and that, by loose terms). This is the next 19 in terms of salary only and with no other criteria such as winning percentage, etc. However it is only coaches whom made the 2015 NCAAT since I could not find a comprehensive list – therefore it excludes some high-paid coaches like packalum44’s boy, Jamie Dixon. Obviously, this disregards firings or job changes after the season.

John Thompson III $2.8 M
    Jay Wright $2.8 M
    Steve Alford $2.6 M
    Rick Barnes $2.6 M
    Travis Ford $2.6 M
    Scott Drew $2.5 M
    Matt Painter $2.4 M
    Mark Turgeon $2.3 M
    Mike Anderson $2.2 M
    Fred Hoiberg $2.2 M
    Mick Cronin $2.2 M
    Mark Gottfried $2.1 M
    Dana Altman $1.9 M
    Steve Lavin $1.9 M
    Andy Kennedy $1.8 M
    Fran McCaffery $1.8 M
    Mark Fox $1.7 M
    Larry Krystkowiak $1.6 M
    Shaka Smart $1.6 M

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Summary article:
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25102102/hirings-and-firings-2015-college-basketball-coaching-changes

Openings for Herb
    Bowling Green
    Green Bay
    SE Missouri St
    Alcorn St
    Kennesaw St

BJD95
    Keymaster

HWSNBN coaching at a historically black university (Alcorn State) would be the funniest thing in the history of mankind.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I was laughing at the thoughts of Herb going to Bowling Green….ie back to the MAC where he belongs.

Wufpacker
    Participant

SE Missouri State

Out: Dickey Nutt.. The brother of Houston Nutt, former Mississippi and Arkansas head football coach, Nutt has been a headcoach on the mid-major level for 19 years and has a record of 279-304 with only one NCAA Tournament appearance to show for it. But on the plus side, Nutt led the program out of a period of NCAA sanctions and brought them through a dark period to where the job is no longer as ugly as when he was hired.

How much success can one really expect with a name like that?

Rick
    Keymaster

I cannot imagine the grief he caught growing up.

WTNY
    Participant

Adventuroo — Shawn?

Regarding “Dickey Nutt” — his parents, what were they thinking?

Adventuroo
    Participant

Hey, I spell my daughter’s name DEBRA not DEBORAH (as in Debbie of NCSU AD Fame). Sean, Shawn, or Shaun. The due diligence says that Sean and Shawn are tied….and Shaun is a distant 3rd. The first two are tied at 44% each.

I prefer the older spelling Shawn…..

I have never been able to get SHAWN out of my mouth when I read about Sean Connery. Looks like SEE ANN to me….but I don’t pretend to be that worldly.

Let’s hope that he does not have a daughter and names here Sue Kee Yu….now THAT would be a tough name to live down.

I have a friend whose name is Teets. He said that he daughters wanted him to change it during high school….as they were well endowed and had a LOT of nick names that were a play on their last name….

Texpack
    Participant

Adventuroo — Shawn?

Regarding “Dickey Nutt” — his parents, what were they thinking?

During the last couple of years of Houston Nutt’s tenure at Arkansas he made a QB change late in the season and there was an actual headline that read, “Nutt Replaces Johnson With Dick.” Only in Arkansas.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Donovan off to OKC. Can’t believe he was at Florida for 19 years. Heck of a job.

Now who’s in at Florida?

pakfanistan
    Participant

Donovan off to OKC. Can’t believe he was at Florida for 19 years. Heck of a job.

Now who’s in at Florida?

Gottfried.

MrPlywood
    Participant

And 5 more years ’til we get Donovan.

redisgood
    Participant

I’m going with Archie on this one.

TheCOWDOG

Herbal has thrown his hat into the ring.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Herbal has thrown his hat into the ring.

Would be a smart move. Look how well hiring a Pitino disciple worked out for them last time.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Hold the phone, Cal just called.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Something tells me Billy isn’t done at the college level. That’s the thing about these guys taking a shot at the NBA – if it doesn’t work out, you can always come back to the college ranks. And you have a fatter wallet.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

It looks like Louisiana Tech’s Michael White could well be the new Gator coach. Meeting with Foley today.

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

I just came to say hi I missed you guys. Also, things (activity not commits) are picking up in the bball recruiting/transfer front. that is all.

When we are in fighting and when we are not this is my favorite NC State fan blog… EVER. By the way, whatever happened to that person who had the female in a bikini avatar?

Not kidding, that person came off as as both a well informed and well endowed commenter. Anywho, whoever you are you are missed for much much more than your good looks. I can’t be the only one who remembers her or can I?

Adventuroo
    Participant

Michael White, son of Duke AD Kevin White, is the new Gator BB HC.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources–louisiana-tech-basketball-coach-michael-white-142904397.html

Let’s see….who was it that followed Wooden @ UCLA and how’d that work out?

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 259 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.