First Wave of Coaching Changes

Home Forums StateFans Basketball First Wave of Coaching Changes

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 259 total)
  • Author
    RickJ
    Participant

Alabama (Anthony Grant), DePaul (Oliver Purnell), George Mason (Paul Hewitt) & Charlotte (Alan Major) will be hiring new coaches.

The Georgia Tech & UNC Greensboro AD’s are taking the “it takes time” approach. Apparently, Tech is still paying Hewitt and would owe Gregory a lot if he was fired. I have no idea why Wes Miller is being retained with a four year of 45 – 73 (11-11, 9-22, 14-18 & 11-22). I guess his pedigree is just too great to ignore with the amazing jobs that have been turned in by Jason Capel, Buzz Peterson & Jeff Lebo at other UNC systems universities.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Remember how high Grant’s stock was at VCU? Not anymore.

The Charlotte job is interesting. Would Bobby Hurley be interested? Not a huge step up from Buffalo. What about LeVelle Moton?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Yes, GT is in a tough spot. Read an article recently insinuating they just don’t have the cash to get rid of Gregory this year.

Gowolves
    Participant

Hewitt’s agent really did a number on Georgia Tech. I would let him negotiate all contracts for me

BJD95
    Keymaster

Hewitt’s agent really did a number on Georgia Tech. I would let him negotiate all contracts for me

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing! He should definitely boast about that on LinkedIn.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

I have no idea why Wes Miller is being retained with a four year of 45 – 73 (11-11, 9-22, 14-18 & 11-22). I guess his pedigree is just too great to ignore with the amazing jobs that have been turned in by Jason Capel, Buzz Peterson & Jeff Lebo at other UNC systems universities.

Gotta keep the UNC system ‘in the family’! Look at all the benefits their mafioso system has reaped upon UNC system schools!

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Not that they had much choice, but Gregory to return.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

If we have any assistants leave at the end of the year, does Grant come here?

JasonP
    Participant

Wonder if Wofford’s Mike Young is on anyone’s radar? Would make sense for schools like George Mason, Charlotte or Alabama to look his way – maybe even Clemson if they make the move on Brownell.

GT is screwed and their AD didn’t make it any better with that announcement. Way to kill any recruiting momentum you might have had.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Didn’t Clemson just extend Brownell? Why would they make a move unless they want to bring back Purnell (who I presume would also be high on GT’s radar next season if they can afford him)?

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yes, Brownell got a 6 year extension last year. He’s going to be there a while.

Mike Young is a heck of a coach. Started as an assistant at Wofford in 1989. Been head guy since 2002.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

The Citadel

Out: Chuck Driesell. The son of legendary coach Lefty Driesell, Chuck struggled to establish himself at The Citadel. He had a record of 42-113 in five seasons, and only won one-quarter of his conference games in the SoCon. He never finished higher than 5th in his division in the split-league, and ended his run with an 11-19 season that saw the Bulldogs finish 7th overall in the league with the ignominious honor of having the worst defense in the entire country, according to KenPom’s adjusted defensive efficiency metric. It wouldn’t be a surprise to see the administration go in that direction, given that the school has been in the bottom-six teams nationally in that metric for each of the past three seasons.

Chuckie was a player for his dad when I was at State.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Greg Marshall’s name will likely come up again this off-season. He basically says that he won’t leave Wich St for a middle-of-the-pack Power Conference job:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/feature/25110905/marshalls-plan

Older article on his salary:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/09/24/wichita-state-raises-gregg-marshalls-salary-to-175-million/2861659/

Gowolves
    Participant

VA, you are old ????????

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

You’re just now figuring that out?

JasonP
    Participant

Rick Ray fired by Mississippi St.

JasonP
    Participant

Wondering if Miss St and Bama start a bidding war for Rick Barnes.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

Great article on Marshall. Nice to know there are still some people who care about more than money.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

SEC apparently has a new coach

More ‘exciting’ basketball!

Texpack
    Participant

Wow. Mississippi St. hiring Howland would be the equivalent of us hiring Jim Tressel. Unbelievable upgrade to SEC basketball.

JasonP
    Participant

Good for Mississippi St. That puts some pressure on Bama to make a good hire.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Bama could probably do better by showing replays of the past season’s football games on the jumbotron instead, and save the salary of a new coach.

Roll Damn Tide.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Rumor mill

Bama to possibly make big pitch for Marshall

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 259 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.