Fall gun and garden thread

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk Fall gun and garden thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    YogiNC
    Participant

Someone suggested it so here it is.

Primary thought on my garden this year. The raised beds were way more successful than I ever imagined they would be. Maters still going strong, peppers just beginning to come in. Okra out of my ears (two days growth on those babies makes for throw aways). And peas have been nuts, I bet I’ve picked 8 bushels from 50 or so plants. I’ve put a lot of veggies on my neighbors tables.

Two things for next year for me. I’ll be germinating the peppers much earlier. And I’m going to grow some Hubbard blue squash to hopefully cut down on the squash borers. As I read about the Hubbards I’m going to plant them early and much more of them than yellow squash and zucchini. And I’m going to plant two or 3 plantings of the yellow and zucchini to try and mitigate the borer larvae invasion by having the only squash there be the Hubbards when they hatch. I had a good crop of squash but the borers won eventually.

I’m also going to do two corn plantings. That overwhelmed me and I just couldn’t work fast enough to put it up in the freezer. Lots of people loved it though since I gave a lot away, and it was the sweetest I’ve ever had. It’s called Serendipity and it was GOOD! Smaller ears than most but very tender and I could eat 5 ears easily (it was just so delicious).

Smarter than the average bear

Fastback68
    Participant

There was a youth hunt down on the broad river in chester county, SC and for the first time in 3 years the corn and sunflower came in great so it must have gotten rain at the right times. My fields are only 10 miles away and the brown top millet came in okay. I need a tractor to really break up the hard pan. Any tractor suggestions for those in the know, make, model, engine size, attachments and ballpark cost new. (I’ve googled but it must be like buying a car when it comes to out the door price) I know 3 people that bought used tractors so I might just try to barter. I’ve got 12 acres of logging roads/small fields with hard, red clay with some broken gravel size quartz rock.

The Yankee had a multitude of pepper varities and a bevy of ghost peppers to make up for last years poor production. He said 1 in 10 last year for ghost but closer to 40% this year. Thanks to you guys, I knew not to go near them.

Rick
    Keymaster

I am looking to pick up a little .380 for carry purposes. Any recommendations?

baccapacker
    Participant

^ Glock 42, my wife and a few friends all have one and they love it. About $425 I believe.

Rick
    Keymaster

^ Glock 42, my wife and a few friends all have one and they love it. About $425 I believe.

Does it fit a relatively large hand? How’s the recoil?

Fastback68
    Participant

Range, rent and shoot to find the right one. I don’t know many pistol shooters that don’t own a glock. Glock 42 in burnt bronze, looks great and shoots awesome.

WolfInVolCountry
    Participant

If it were me, I would spend the money on the SIG P238. You are paying for name/performance/quality, and it is a SIG!

For economy, you can’t beat a Walther PK380.

Kimber makes a nice little micro .380, but you are definitely paying for the name.

Rick
    Keymaster

Thanks
    Will try those

YogiNC
    Participant

Rick, I own a p238 and 938. I also own a glock 43 (9 mm version of the 42). I love my Glocks, all 5 of them. if you want either one of the Sigs I’ll make you a good deal on them, the 238 was a daily carry until I got the 938, and now I carry the Glock 43. I have extra extended magazines that hold one extra round for both of the Sigs.
    As a matter of preference the .380s were bought for my wife. I prefer the 9s for the extra bit of fire power. I also like Glocks because after market parts are easy to find. The Sigs are really good guns though and you can’t go wrong with them, and until Glock came up with a single stack 9mm they were my go to gun for concealed carry.

Rick
    Keymaster

I have a Springfield xd40 and I love it but it is too large to carry. I have a couple of .22s for plinking.

Rick, I own a p238 and 938

I don’t know much about sigs. How much would you want for the p238?

YogiNC
    Participant

It’s a nitron model, night sights, extra mags and holster, original box. Black. Hogue grips. 450.

Adventuroo
    Participant

As a CCW owner (since 1998 or so) and also a shooter, I am chuckling at this forum. If the IC guys ever get hold of it, SFN will be castigated by them. Eventually it will permeate into the MSM and then all of the preconceived notions of Red Necks and Racist and whatever terms are associated with the above will be used to deride us. Many of our own NCSU Profs and Admin will go into cardiac arrest at the mere MENTION of a firearm in the same sentence as NCSU….

The UNC folks may even have a special votive candle light service tonight to protest our violent behavior. They will suggest that our FB lads are packin’ and will come armed to the game at Kenan. The Dukies might join in (as they did when the UNC folks helped crucify the LAX team). There will be banners at both the Wally and the Kenan. Maybe even the NCAA will get involved. Remember, our FB team DID pull that little Cowboys and Indians childhood play game and act it out (stupidly) with BB Guns.

Who do we think we are? The $EC. Commish Swoff will have a hissy fit and need medication……

BUT, it has been interesting…..sort of like which is better, a Ford or a Chevy.

I personally am a Ruger type of guy with an occasional fling with a S&W. Ruger forgives me though. I can NOT get rid of my Dirty Harry Special M 629 in SS & 6″ barrel. It has served me well in the field. I have a small whitetail mount to prove that you CAN take a deer with a pistol…especially if you power the 240 Gr. Slug with the SAME load that you use for the Ruger 44 Carbine. It is a “handful”, but it brings home the venison.

Will be interesting to see how this thread morphs and progresses….

YogiNC
    Participant

Well Roo, I have a Ruger SR9C and my wife stole my SR22 (best 22 out there IMO, it will shoot any 22 you put in it). For many years I refused to buy a Glock until I kept getting my butt kicked at IDPA matches with the guys shooting glocks and I gave in. Now they are my favorite. I have a 17 that I’ve become very accurate and fast with, and that translated right over to my 43.

Rick
    Keymaster

Well Roo, I have a Ruger SR9C and my wife stole my SR22 (best 22 out there IMO, it will shoot any 22 you put in it). For many years I refused to buy a Glock until I kept getting my butt kicked at IDPA matches with the guys shooting glocks and I gave in. Now they are my favorite. I have a 17 that I’ve become very accurate and fast with, and that translated right over to my 43.

I am just having a hard time getting past having no safety on a carry. I know that is what you need when seconds count but I worry more that I would make a stupid mistake. That is why I have not been able to get on board with glocks.

Gowolves
    Participant

I am just having a hard time getting past having no safety on a carry. I know that is what you need when seconds count but I worry more that I would make a stupid mistake. That is why I have not been able to get on board with glocks.

Rick, that’s a valid concern. My uncle has probably 15 different hand guns. 3 or 4 are Glocks. He has been around guns all his life and it took him a while to buy one. I also have a Springfield XD40. I have been looking at the latest Springfield 9mm. It’s really nice. Also Ruger does make a nice conceal and carry nine mm. It’s the SR9c. It is a heavier gun for conceal and carry but size wise its good. If you like a little heavier gun then this a good one. Nice trigger pull.

As someone mentioned above the Sig P938 and they are right its a nice gun.

Rick
    Keymaster

I also have a Springfield XD40. I have been looking at the latest Springfield 9mm.

I am pretty sure you can buy a slide to change your xd40 to a 9.

StateRed44
    Participant

I have the Springfield XDS 9mm which is pure butter.

YogiNC
    Participant

I would never use the SR9C as a carry gun, way too heavy and big. Trying to conceal it is a JOB.

With regard to the Glock triggers I’ll say this, I’ve never had a problem with any of mine and I’ve shot IDPA with it and I carry one EVERYDAY. I have lots of friends that also carry them, and none of us have ever had a problem. Also, lots of LEs use them extensively. The trigger takes a VERY specific pull to engage. Consider I have put ghost triggers in every one of my glocks and that’s a 4 lb pull and it is smoooooth. My carry holsters are the blackhawks that has a retention on it with complete trigger guard. I’ve done very fast draws one saturday a month for over 5 years shooting tactical competitions and never had a problem. I’ve also never seen anyone with a glock have a problem either. If that trigger system on the glocks was unsafe they wouldn’t be the #1 handgun in the world. Just sayin’

Gowolves
    Participant

I would never use the SR9C as a carry gun, way too heavy and big. Trying to conceal it is a JOB.

With regard to the Glock triggers I’ll say this, I’ve never had a problem with any of mine and I’ve shot IDPA with it and I carry one EVERYDAY. I have lots of friends that also carry them, and none of us have ever had a problem. Also, lots of LEs use them extensively. The trigger takes a VERY specific pull to engage. Consider I have put ghost triggers in every one of my glocks and that’s a 4 lb pull and it is smoooooth. My carry holsters are the blackhawks that has a retention on it with complete trigger guard. I’ve done very fast draws one saturday a month for over 5 years shooting tactical competitions and never had a problem. I’ve also never seen anyone with a glock have a problem either. If that trigger system on the glocks was unsafe they wouldn’t be the #1 handgun in the world. Just sayin’

I agree. Some people like having a safety mechanism. It’s a preference.

Yes the Sr9c is heavy no doubt again it’s a preference. I don’t know if I could deal with the weight issue. Came close to buying one but backed off. It’s a nice gun though and shoots great.

TheCOWDOG

Can I join? I’ve never owned a single firearm in my life. Never shot a pistol, but borrowed rifles for deer hunting, borrowed shot guns for pheasant hunting, for sure.

I’ve got a couple of really good carry weapons that have served me well, though. Y’all check this out. Coyotes don’t appreciate having their snouts getting busted by a sawed off 9 iron. Big cats in the canyons don’t care for the mere presentation, either.

One more. The Great Western Brown Bear can be stared down with a bottle of Wild Turkey and a 6 inch blade.

I don’t get it.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Never owned a pistol in my life and finally sold all the long guns a couple years back except two…

1908 Double Barrel Parker 20Ga and 1972 Remington 1100 12Ga my Granddaddy gave me….

they should be in the closet when I’m gone…

that said, I would like to shoot my limit of wild quail behind two good dogs one more time….
    just saying… we can wish can’t we?

——————–

Ten and half inches of rain in 16hrs last Friday battered and bruised alot of the Fall Stuff down here, especially carrots and beets…
    but stuff is standing back up today….

all the greens…, some fall taters and squash on the way…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    YogiNC
    Participant

LOL CD, in terms of self protection I’m not sure how much a thug would appreciate a sawed off 9 iron, kinda like crocodile Dundie. “That’s not a knife, this is a knife”. And I REALLY wouldn’t try to bring a bottle of Wild Turkey and a 6 inch knife to a bear fight but then you are one upon which legends are made.

As for owning weapons I never owned a handgun until 6 years ago. An elderly couple a little over a mile away were overcome by two thugs that invaded their home, beat and robbed them and almost killed them. My wife convinced me for us to both to take classes and get our concealed carry (a friend of ours teaches pistol self defense, he’s an army sniper and one of the top 5 in the world, but now retired). I never thought I’d enjoy competitive shooting but it’s a blast. At the same time is has honed my shooting skills “just in case”. As for competitive shooting my friend is also one of the best in that too. He’s placed in the top 10 nationally for the last 8 years. It’s a wonder to watch him compete. He could easily put 10 holes in ya before you could pull yours out of your pocket, LOL.

Adventuroo
    Participant

As I said, this forum will be used in a political ad….but interesting.

I have shot BB’s for about 60 years, .22’s for 55 and pistols for 51. It always amazes me WHO has their CCW. Not the folks that you sterotypically expect. The lady next to you in a ceramics class has to remember to take out her S&W before she goes into the local bank and sometimes says “OPPS….gotta go to the car….” BUT, the branch manager says, “Its OK, happens ALL the time”.

This is a REAL life story….and it was in a Western NC UPSCALE town that prides itself in being artsy and craftsy and LIBERAL. Read the story of Kelly McGillis and her recent home invasion. The follow-up is that she signed up for a shooting course and had her CCW (she is spooked by her ex GF Stalkers). She now carries and publicly admits it.

We now have family members that are very proficient in shooting thanks to a recently added In Law that is an avid “Quick Draw” competitive shooter. He teaches the CCW courses. Not your typical shooter….a little on the portly side. Anal as all get out. His profession….CPA specializing in corporate tax law. So you NEVER know.

Same thing that happened to Yogi happened to a friend of mine in SC. He is my age…..had a valuable .22 that his GD left him. Raised in Chicago and maybe shot a gun once or twice. Decided to get his CCW. He and wife and SIL and Niece and Niece’s BF all signed up. Now all are shooters. He is starting a pistol collection. Totally out of left field, but personal safety is the theme.

I will throw a 9mm Ruger with HC Clips in the MH when I travel, but I do not personally “pack it”. Probably 75% (maybe higher) of the MH owners have firearms in their rigs. Some have them fore and aft and in the towed vehicle. Most asked advice on our 5000 member Yahoo group is “Where can I store my firearms near the US-Canadian Border?”. There are many gunshops that are near each crossing that have “safes”. Others have rented safety deposit boxes at the local banks. Interesting dilemma for them. They get a year’s rental and the box is only used for maybe a month. Some have special “rules” for storage. Some will let you store ammo, others will not.

I could go on about a CT Yankee that had never fired a weapon until basic training. He was an electronics tech and did not carry a weapon during his tour. He is my age. He and his wife and his SIL and DIL all have their CCW and he carries, full time. Lives in TN in an upscale lake community near Knoxville. He only did this about 2 years ago…

I could go on….but when WRAL put out their data base so that you could “check out your neighbors”, I found two other folks (addresses unknown) on my small cul-de-sac that have CCW’s. That was in 2012 or so. It has now been taken down. Reader and viewer backlash finally got rid of it.

Becton901
    Participant

Pleasantly surprising thread. Anyone willing to part with a 30-06 bolt or a 1911 .45? Daughter needs something for deer and home. She regularly handles both, but needs her own.

tractor57
    Participant

I have some long guns and a revolver but no CCW. Part of that is I’m not sure I ready to use one in those situations – and if you would not use one it will be used on you IMO. I live in a rural area so most every house here has guns of all sorts. I’m obviously not anti gun but I’m not a rabid NRA type either. I do understand the issues and I agree with some from either camp but much of the drama is political distraction.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.