Exam Week….

Home Forums All StateFansNation Exam Week….

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

No Wolfpack Football…
    No Wolfpack Basketball…

No real news…

Bored and looking for something?

I’ve been watching Longmire-6 and The Last Kingdom on Netflix…
    Two similar tales, 1200 yrs apart, that in some fundamental way for Old Men define what is right and what is wrong with the world around us today….

Land, Family, Country, Duty and Honor.

I’m sure Bro Mc and others agree and disagree…

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tractor57
    Participant

When it comes to this I have
    very mixed tastes. From Highly Questionable on ESPN to Mr. Robot on USA. Lots of the typical TV BS also. Plots are either non existent or very varied.

Fastback68
    Participant

We are on episode 8 Longmire but after that there is zero inventory. Binged watched GOT this summer. Need some new series as good as justified.

rthomas44
    Participant

“Mind Hunters”is worth a look. Kind of creepy.

Pack1997
    Participant

Punisher is excellent on Netflix as well as Gifted on Fox. Someone told me if you can get through the first 30 minutes you will love Happy on Syfy. Haven’t tried it yet though.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I haven’t watched the last season of Longmire yet, but I will get to it. I’ve thought about reading the Longmire books (12 so far), but haven’t started on them yet.

I’ve read the GOT novels, but never watched the series. Six years and counting waiting on the 6th book. It’s safe to say that I have pretty much forgotten where everyone is and why I should care. In fact, I’m not sure I care enough to read the next one whenever it is released.

Punisher was pretty good. Though the ending made me wonder whether they’re planning Season 2 or not.

highstick
    Participant

At 72 I still have a rare nightmare about still being at State and waking up after missing an exam. Must have been a hangover from my engineering days!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

McCallum
    Participant

Godfather II

“You country ain’t your blood. Don’t forget it”

Truer words have hardly been uttered.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK…

The youngest daughter had two University exams today….

Both Online…
    Both Open Book…
    3 hr time limits…

And in one class, the professor — with a little p — reviewed the exam with the class last week….

So…
    Do ya’ll remember Blue Books???

7th grade was harder than that, which has something to do with Soccer…

Men’s Basketball at noon on Saturday in the PNC against Uncle Roy’s boy — Wes…

Hope we play both halves and Show No Mercy…

Pop!!!

highstick
    Participant

The thought of a “Blue Book” sends chills down my backside and makes me pucker.

However, I don’t remember having any of those after my soph year.

rthomas44
    Participant

Old school was 1. Book 2. Professor 3. Slide rule. Nothing else but your sweat and tears.

highstick
    Participant

Old school was 1. Book 2. Professor 3. Slide rule. Nothing else but your sweat and tears.

Very true and I was glad to sell my slide rules. I had an extra that I bought cheap from someone and sold it to buy beer on a beach trip.

I sometimes forget, but the biggest reason I detested exam week was that during my freshman and soph year, the semester didn’t end until 3 weeks after the Christmas holding was over. So we had 3 more weeks of class in January and then had exams. I was really glad they started earlier when I came back to finish and exams were over by Christmas. That took the pressure off, I could enjoy the holiday break, and start fresh in January.

And we were finished in May versus June with the Spring semester!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK…

so here’s a funny story about those slide rules…
    My Pop had one he used his whole life at the Carolina Missile Factory…
    so I was ‘familiar’ with them…

Because of that, when I arrived at NCSTate in ’72…
    I established my ‘academic HQs’ in Tompkins Hall…

A month later, I ended up representing the School of Liberal Arts on the Student Senate…
    that’s another story all in itself, but I won’t digress…

The biggest thing I remember that the Student Senate did that year was to BUY 300 TI Calculators @ something like $500 ea — and those are ’72 dollars so you young guys can adjust that to about 6 weeks of 40 hrs work at minimum wage today….

The ‘idea’ was to set up a program for students who couldn’t afford them to rent them by the day for exams… WHEN the Professor would allow calculators on exam day….

Truth is that idea worked great for about 2 and half years…
    The next year, the Student Senate voted to auction those off to whoever still wanted them used Calculators and cash out…

Calculators had gotten cheap…
    Professors had given in up the slide rule and…
    doubled down on the degree of difficulty of their exams…

By that time, I had set up another office what’s now called the College of Management, I think… Been in business, one way or the other, ever since….

Three years after I graduated from NCState, those guys built their first PC in a garage…
    Two years later LOTUS123 took over the spreadsheet world…

I’ve always asked myself… “What IF we could have used Lotus123 on B-school finals?”

The answer has always been the same…
    The Professors at NCState would have quadrupled down on the degree of difficulty of their exams.

And FWIW… I love ‘engineers’, just didn’t want to be one…
    —————————————–

Now, if you don’t mind…
    Back to ‘Blue Books’ back in the day…

The was nothing scarier than to walk into the room for an exam in Winston or Tompkins, get your Blue Book and sit down…

The Professor walked into the room, smiled stupidly at you and wrote TWO questions on the chalk board, turns and said…
    “Ya’ll pick ONE! and be finished in 1 and 1/2 hours.”

Open book would NOT have worked in that environment.

POP!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.