Ex-Boise QB Ryan Finley Transfers to NC State

Home Forums StateFans Football Ex-Boise QB Ryan Finley Transfers to NC State

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    gso packbacker
    Participant

Looks like he is a graduate transfer and able to play this fall. Admittedly, I have no real assessment of our current stable of QBs so I am hoping that adding another QB helps out instead of creates issues.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15566856/ex-boise-qb-ryan-finley-headed-nc-state-graduate-transfer

TheCOWDOG

Key: Knows the Drinkwitz offense, forward and backward.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Even if he never plays a down, this is a HUGE positive. Worst case is we just added a coach to the player ranks.

With the bonus of no NCAA restrictions.

TheCOWDOG

Yep, ‘foose.

(…but wait for it…you know what I mean.)

tjfoose1
    Participant

Yep

gso packbacker
    Participant

Excellent points! Easier to learn it when you can watch and talk to someone who already knows it. Just helped reduce the learning curve, and that should be a big plus for our QBs.

YogiNC
    Participant

Note too he has 2 (TWO) years of eligibility left. That could be huge if he works out to be a starter (which he was last year until injury). Big time get IMO. We also got a center from south Alabama, gotta love bringing in experience.

Smarter than the average bear

pakfanistan
    Participant

I thought he was a grad transfer.

redisgood
    Participant

He is a grad transfer, but is also a redshirt junior. Not only does he have 2 full years of eligibility, but since his freshman year was a medical redshirt, and he missed most of last year with an injury, he most likely will qualify for a 6th year, giving him a full three years with us.

TheCOWDOG

He is Paki, but he’s only used two of his five yrs. (A 3yr. grad)

pakfanistan
    Participant

I learned something new today.

So basically, if you want to transfer somewhere, study your a$$ off, graduate early, then leave and be able to play immediately wherever you land.

BullPack
    Participant

Or go to UNCAA, don’t study your a$$ off, graduate whenever, then leave and be able to play immediately wherever you land.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Excellent points! Easier to learn it when you can watch and talk to someone who already knows it. Just helped reduce the learning curve, and that should be a big plus for our QBs.

That, but more importantly, player run workouts. The NCAA limits when, and for how many hours, coaches can meet with players, especially in the off season.

Finley will be a huge asset in the bringing the other QB’s, RBs, and WRs up to speed with terminology and the offense during the summer, when coaches are prohibited from running, or even attending, workouts.

inhoc…
    Participant

I don’t think he was going to start at BSU this year. Take a look at his replacements stats

His back up won first team all conference

A broken ankle suffered in the third game opened the door for Brett Rypien, who started the Broncos’ final 10 games and was the All-Mountain West first-team quarterback as a true freshman.

It’s at least safe to say BSU probably had a QB competition on their hands this year.

I also think Drink and Finley are heading into more difficult situation in the ACC. I contend that the D in the ACC is probably (on average) a bit tougher that what BSU faced last year. Yes I know they’ve won some BCS games of late which is definitely noteworthy, but their conference doesn’t look to be quite at stout as the ACC. State probably offsets that with the cupcakes it’s had OOC the past couple years, but BSUs “cupcakes” still counted as conference wins.

After looking at their schedule from 2015 I’d argue that state could have gone 8-5 against BSUs (9-4) schedule. And I don’t even feel like that’s a stretch.

BSUs in confrence record last year. Have a look:
    W Hawaii (3-10)
    W Colorado State (7-6)
    L Utah St (6-7)
    W Wyoming (2-10)
    W UNLV (3-9)
    L New Mex. (7-6)
    L Air Force (8-6)
    W San Jose St (6-7)

5 conference opponents below .500 (and not a single opponent more than TWO (2!) games above .500!)
    Conference opponent total record: 42-61
    Now, if you compare states in conference schedule/opponent record the #s are markedly better.

BSU’s OOC sched was Wash St, BYU, Idaho St and UVA with their only loss coming @ BYU. BSU def gets the advantage in OOC sched.

I hope Coach Drink (and his QB) do well, but my senses tell me he’s going to be tested against stiffer competition this year. I love the attitude and approach to coaching he showed in his initial interview with Tony H. Just hope they both can put up #s against ACC foes. Just my $.02

tjfoose1
    Participant

I don’t think he was going to start at BSU this year.

He wasn’t. Mark Rypien’s kid (true freshman last year) Wally Pipp’d him.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

HTTRkids

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.