Eggnog, fruit cake, etc; what the hell?

Home Forums All StateFansNation Eggnog, fruit cake, etc; what the hell?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Greywolf
    Participant

Fruit cakes and penial failure, oh my at the Christmas treasures the Lord doth provide!

McCallum

Make your jokes now ’cause in your older years with the meds you have to take, it won’t be quite so funny. ;-(

BJD95
    Keymaster

There is not enough brain bleach in the entire world…

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

oh man this is good stuff

Rick
    Keymaster

Another Fruit cake fact: Most all deserts prior to refrigeration contained preservatives….
    mostly rum and other liquors… and back before B’rer ‘Roo and Greywolf were born, It took a month to properly “soak” a good fruitcake… so the Baptists could eat it… although my great aunt refused on principle, regardless.

Being eating good fruitcakes all my life… that’s is… until all my ‘cooks’ passed on to sainthood.

It’s today’s commercial one’s without alcohol that ain’t worth messing with.. although Claxton down in Georgia makes a pretty good one that you can ‘soak’ yourself….

Never been a big fan of eggnog… same good cooks that made the fruitcakes, always had boiled custard without or without the bourbon, depending on your age or denomination….

that ain’t hard to do… just gotta keep the heat down and don’t stop stirring…

My grandmother (95 years old and doesn’t take any daily medication) makes a spectacular boiled custard every Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is a work of art.
    I have only had one fruitcake that I truly enjoyed and it was made by a former co-worker and it was soaked for a month. It was absolutely delicious.

As to missing recipes, my other grandmother used to make a coconut cake using a real coconut but her recipe was lost when she passed. It was a little bit of heaven on earth.

Sigh, now I am hungry which pales as a problem compared to the grey one.

Rick
    Keymaster

There is not enough brain bleach in the entire world…

Which would you wanted cleansed more, this conversation or the play of the basketball team?

just sayin’

McCallum
    Participant

Fruit cake myth: Leonard Bernstein composed a song about uneaten fruit cakes

Fruit cake fact: the limit within the sugar supply drove the development of fruit cakes

McCallum

*the Cowdog, my sarcasm meter has no limit. It was just getting warmed up.

gso packbacker
    Participant

Fruitcake and Eggnog are two things I would never buy in the store, but will always try if homemade.

Maybe it has to do with the alcohol, or maybe it has to do with some things just being better when made in the kitchen.

p.s. I do consider myself very sensitive to and aware of others (I draw a distinction between that and being PC), but I laughed at the story about the old woman. Sorry, but funny is funny!

Fastback68
    Participant

I’ve never had either. I’m just posting a thank you to BJD for starting the NC political thread. It was the only political conversation I encountered in the last year that was more than an inch deep. The irony is I had an internal expletive fest when I first saw the thread on SFN.

I don’t know if any of you watch CNBC regularly but I LMFAO when a guest speaker lamented about the fact that when the man sends out a tweet there is a company somewhere losing $5 billion in market cap. Sincerely wish everyone is better off in 4-8 years.

Adventuroo
    Participant

OK,
    This thread is really a DAY brightener. I don’t feel so old now….thanks to GreyWolf. I can also “align” with his comments, both serious and tongue-in-cheek. Being a BOB Seger and Toby Keith fan, I have some of their songs as Ring Tones. The lyric…”I used to HELL on wheels, when I was a Young Man….” got me in trouble at a Christmas Pageant for my 8 YO GD. My cellphone when off during one of the kiddies solos and I could not get to it to silence it…TRUE STORY….now my GK’s tell me to KILL IT…during their theatrical performances…

In thinking about Grey’s comments, I may have to modify my favorite line to DW, “I THINK that I can be GOOD ONCE, as I ever was….”

Since this thread has no constraints….I will offer the following tidbits of trivia….I recently found out one at a NC Symphony Christmas Concert with the group, Pink Martini.

What famous CHRISTMAS song was actually a “Peacenik” ditty penned during the Cuban Christmas crisis?

Do You Hear What I Hear…..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_You_Hear_What_I_Hear%3F

It was reported that SOME of the Cuban immigrants in Miami used it in the following context of…..

Do you hear what I HEAR?
    Said the little drummer boy
    to his mother on the shore.
    A bomb, A BOMB has liberated us
    Castro is now dead forevermore
    Castro is now dead forevermore….

It is then rumored that they burst out into Guantanamera. Do you remember that little ditty. It, TOO, was a Peacenik song. Pete Seeger made it famous in the US during the aforementioned Cuban Missile crisis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guantanamera

It was supposed to be a call for peace. It got picked up several years later and was a US hit. I remember a disk jockey once commenting….”Do you suppose this is really the Cuban National Anthem” in the height of the anti-Castro years. As best I can figure, it was a song that BOTH sides, PRO and CON Castro would sing. Let me put that in context…

Think about Elvis’ rendition of DIXIE….in his best Gospel voice….that for MANY of us, was a song that we freely sang in high school. NOW, think about an Afro American Gospel Quartet doing it. THAT is how Guantanamera would be in the USA.

Keep on clicking…..

Adventuroo
    Participant

FastBack68,

I don’t know if any of you watch CNBC regularly but I LMFAO when a guest speaker lamented about the fact that when the man sends out a tweet there is a company somewhere losing $5 billion in market cap. Sincerely wish everyone is better off in 4-8 years.

I USED to watch CNBC faithfully….probably at least 3 hours per day. I did that for the first several years of my retirement and was focusing on “wealth creation”. I sort of weaned off….BUT, AFTER watching the CNBC Hosted Debate where they tag teamed Trump…..and THEN, reading the leaked emails from the HRC Campaign to various CNBC hosts and MSNBC and NBC “news professionals”, I quite COLD TURKEY.

It IS funny that at 9:00 PM on November 8, the Dow Jones Futures (trading on International Markets) were DOWN almost 1000 points and the various cable new outlets were reporting it….some were doing it factually, OTHERS were saying that the world markets would collapse the next day IF the results did NOT turn around.

SO, the Market opened a bit lower on Wednesday and then perked up. It has not looked back since….

Consumer Confidence (taken AFTER the election) jumped! It posted a ONE MONTH RECORD (never in the history of the survey) for a gain. All the Wall $treet Crowd that bestowed their political donations on the “Not gonna be inaugurated” candidate have SUDDENLY been drinking the antidote to the Kool Aid that we have been served for the past 8 years.

I bought myself a “toy” in 2000. It was a Shiny RED C5. I had a C4. I got a VERY unexpected inheritance and used the Clinton Bubble to triple it. I then sold that booty and bought the new Vette. I often describe it as my only momento of the Clinton Bubble….if I had sold EVERYTHING ELSE (the numbers were being manipulated to show a ROSIER economy so that Gore would have an advantage), then I could have retired a WHOLE LOT Earlier.

SO, over Thanksgiving, I marveled at the optimism. I THEN decided that I would “Do the SAME”. I traded in my everfaithful (which has attended MOST of the CF and PNC events) C5 RED Vette and bought a C7 RED Vette.

This will be my “Trump Special”. I have challenged the “Nay Sayers” on the Political Forum to “SELL and TAKE a PROFIT” NOW. THEN to take the “Ill Gotten” Trump Profits and DONATE them all to Charity….say Chris Comb’s ALS site.

I offered to make a $100 Donation to Chris’ site for EVERY SFN MEMBER that would do that. They could “SHOW” their support of the Illegitimate Election and NOT profit from a Trump Victory. Still waiting for confirmation or notification of them doing that. So much for putting your MONEY where your MOUTH is….

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

As to missing recipes, my other grandmother used to make a coconut cake using a real coconut but her recipe was lost when she passed. It was a little bit of heaven on earth.

Yep… we had that too.. the softest, moistest, sweetest cake you ever ate…

———————-

While we are at it…

How ’bout 2yr old smokehouse, salt cured, ham that was boiled for a couple of hours, taken off the stove, the pot wrapped in newspapers and a blanket and simmered for two days, then chilled on the back porch for another day or two — sliced so thin when you held it up you could see light thru it ???

Put that in real biscuits in diameter made with lard and baking soda ’bout 3/4″ high and 2″ … that was the perfect offset to the holiday sweets….

Note: them women at Hardee’s don’t know squat ’bout making real biscuits.
    ——————

Note: There is no store in New Hanover County today that sells salt cured hams. I GOTT to go cross the river to the Piggily Wiggily or to Pender County to get one… It’s worth it and I still cook ’em the way Granny did, except I saw ’em in half — one half for Thanksgiving, the other for Christmas.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    PackerInRussia
    Participant

Why do you always take two baptists fishing?

…..

Cause if you only take one he’ll drink all your beer.

Now that’s funny right there (cuz it’s true). And I laughed at the non-PC joke too.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

I am afraid of dairy drinks as I had a bad milk experience as a child and have never been able to drink anything resembling milk since then (except chocolate milk). However, I was brave and tried egg nog a few years ago and was surprised that I actually liked it. The next year I was looking forward to it and tried someone else’s and it gave me bad milk flashbacks. The only difference was the rum.

McCallum
    Participant

It appears the perceived quality of the fruit cake and eggnog is akin to the likker used in the mix.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

It appears the perceived quality of the fruit cake and eggnog is akin to the likker used in the mix.

One part nog, 4 parts black rum, a coating of cinnamon…

Proof….

I’ve never seen a 4 liquor to 1 nog or custard…
    more like a 1 to 4…

I wonder what that would taste like with Scotch?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheCOWDOG

^ Hey. That’s just me.
    For the holidays, ya know.

Then there’s Bailey’s and Irish.

Pack78
    Participant

I wonder what that would taste like with Scotch?

Now, we’re talking!

I had a very bad experience with Bacardi 151 my freshman year at State, and I don’t do rum with anything…

TheCOWDOG

’78. Did you set your moustache on fire, or just burn the whole house down?

McCallum
    Participant

Which is worse, drunk in downtown Bucharest circa 1978 or drunk on State’s campus?

I doubt Stevie Wonder could tell the difference.

McCallum

Pack78
    Participant

CD-Nothin’ that catastrophic-everyone here probably remembers the worst hangover that they ever had-that was mine-classic ‘if I had a gun the next AM, I would not be here’…

TheCOWDOG

^
    Oh sh#t, yer all good, then.

Greywolf
    Participant

CD-Nothin’ that catastrophic-everyone here probably remembers the worst hangover that they ever had-that was mine-classic ‘if I had a gun the next AM, I would not be here’…

Prayed all morning I wouldn’t die, all afternoon I would.

TheCOWDOG

Not to be taken lightly, Mr. Grey. You know that.

Still, a tad of rum in the nog ain’t all bad. Tis’ the season.

And I will be 35 yrs clear from anything meant for horses.

McCallum
    Participant

Fruit cake myth: the band a-ha was inspired to write Take on Me after eating a fruit cake

Fruit cake fact: the US military has extensive data on the nutritional value of the fruit cake in relation to its durability and shelf life.

McCallum

BassPacker
    Participant

Fact: A good southern meal including Christmas celebration always requires a visit to Piggly Wiggly.

Growing up my mom would also make pink and yellow colored homemade candies filled with coconut….heaven. You can get these seasonal treats at your local Pig along with many homemade style Christmas goodies. My mom still sends me there to get her “seasoning meat”.

As for the coconut cake! I like it after its set in the frig for a day. Mouth watering delight. My mom made one that I would crack the coconut and shred the while delicacy meat inside with a hand held grader. Little things like that was pain stacking but worth every minute of work.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.