Donahue Out At BC

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Donahue Out At BC

Tagged: ,

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Another one down:

Boston College has parted ways with Steve Donahue, multiple sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

Donahue, 51, was hired in 2010 by former athletic director Gene Defilippo after taking Cornell to the Sweet 16. Donahue spent a decade at Cornell and took the school to the NCAA tourney in each of his final three seasons.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=10628149&city=boston&src=desktop

pakfanistan
    Participant

It seems like just yesterday they were playing for an ACC title.

Wulfpack
    Participant

A guy like Archie Miller would be fantastic there.

pakfanistan
    Participant

A guy like Archie Miller would be fantastic there.

I thought that, but I wonder what Archie’s long game will be. BC isn’t a destination job, and I don’t imagine it’s a great recruiting draw either. It might be more difficult to find success at BC than he wants.

I mean, Al Skinner took BC to a regular season championship* and the S16, and now he’s an assistant at Bryant.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

I heard speculation on David Glenn’s show that Bzdelik will be retained but two assistants will be let go. WTH good is that going to do?!? Do they not know Phil Jackson already has a job and is not interestedin being on Bzdelik’s bench?
    If they retain Bzdelik, it will truly be a most stubborn move for Wellman. Wellman is obviously very well respected by his peers, but your coach has a 51-76 overall record and a 17-51 conference record. That is 51 conference losses in 4 years. That’s an average of nearly 13 conference losses per year for those of you who went to HS in Bertie County.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yes, that is what Feinstein is reporting. It will be interested to see if it is Larue and/or Childress. I don’t think Childress is still an assistant but is in another role in the department.

Wellman has lost all credibility. He is in denial. Wake will surely stink yet again.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

No more constant loud, shrieking whistling from the sideline??? Ohhhhh no.

Not sure what the deal is for guys who love to whistle during games (Sid, Donahue), but it sure didn’t work out too well for them as head coaches in the ACC.

BJD95
    Keymaster

This is the one that surprised me, but I had forgotten he had 4 years, and not just 3.

TheCOWDOG

^
    Same here Beej. ‘Guess when they got wind that Lawrence of Quebec was to explore the higher lands, they took a look around and said…

“Sacre bleau.”

Texpack
    Participant

Al Skinner did a very nice job at BC They should have kept him.

PittsburghPackFan
    Participant

^ I still don’t know why they let Skinner go. He was great!

Bring back Al Skinner!

tvopack
    Participant

Am I the only one around here annoyed by the avatar of wufpup76?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Am I the only one around here annoyed by the avatar of wufpup76?

Sorry to hear that.

SqlWolf
    Participant

tvopack, are you annoyed because you are strangely attracted to wufpup’s nickelodeon/disney starlet avatar? Or are you annoyed by the reference to the *NC Friday debacle? I personally think it’s funny.

compsciwolf
    Participant

On the topic of BC, it should be noted that BC has exactly zero recruits in the 2014 class. This was very likely the nail in the coffin that did in Donahue.

redcanine
    Participant

The gym will remain a ghost town unless Bill Belichick takes over. That job aint for no up-and-comer. I’m thinking a retread guy with a little name recognition…. like a “Mc” or “O'”… with red hair… if one even exists.

JasonP
    Participant

^ Someone post a pic of “Timeout” Pete Gillen.

WolftownVA81
    Participant

Ok, someone has to say it, “Aanonymous sources at ASU report that HWSNBN has no interest in the BC openning.”

Wulfpack
    Participant

Back to Bzz…he reports he has received no word from Wellman, so he’s planning to move forward as usual. Now Wellman has been in Dayton for the play-ins, so that may be playing into the lack of communication.

I just saw this (not so) amazing stat about Bzz’s tenure at Wake:

the Deacons are 2-32 against conference foes. Only five of the losses have been closer than 10 points, and his average margin of defeat in conference setbacks has been 17.3 points.

Good golly. It is truly amazing anyone shows up at the Joel.

Wulfpack
    Participant

BC isn’t a destination job, and I don’t imagine it’s a great recruiting draw either. It might be more difficult to find success at BC than he wants.

Yea, I agree. Upon second thought, I think Archie can definitely do better than BC. Dayton actually isn’t a bad place playing in the new and much improved A10. You know he doesn’t take any job without brother Sean’s approval. Sean of course went from Xavier to Zona. I don’t know if there is a Zona type job for Archie or not, but BC would probably be a tough build.

redcanine
    Participant

They’ll hire a servant of the lord named “Father Greg”.

When Boston Celtics find themselves in the lottery, fate will have it that they get their Irish Mick, Doug.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

This seems to confirm that the reason why Al Skinner was let go at BC was b/c DeFilippo was insane:
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/01/12/former-coach-skinner-moving-bryant/V3bXbeebFmJrGrNtIjrSCJ/story.html

Above all, though, DeFilippo simply wanted someone different.

“Change is good sometimes,” he said at the time. “How many basketball coaches have been in the same position for 13 years? Very, very few.”

Makes me feel bad for what happened to Skinner …

As to the job itself, Tommy Amaker back in the ACC against K?
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/03/19/safest-ncaa-pick-tommy-amaker-will-leave-for/L0KIHukP0EsBlBzMgSUjWN/story.html

Wulfpack
    Participant

And that would be a stellar hire at BC.

MP
    Participant

Above all, though, DeFilippo simply wanted someone different.

I remember reading that at the time… That was just unbelievable then and still is now. Skinner was great for BC.

ILPackfan
    Participant

So far, it looks like Donahue is being joined by Jeff Bzdelik (resignation) at Wake Forest and James Johnson (fired) at Va Tech. I wonder if Johnson is rethinking his decision to reneg on the Clemson job to replace Uncle Fester.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.