Doeren “Surprised by Poor Tackling”

Home Forums All StateFansNation Doeren “Surprised by Poor Tackling”

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

WRAL: Doeren said Monday he was surprised by his team’s poor tackling in the win against Old Dominion. That means the preparation for this weekend’s t
    [See the full post at: Doeren “Surprised by Poor Tackling”]

tobaccordshow
    Keymaster

I’m “surprised” I still pay my LTRs.

tjfoose1
    Participant
    TeufelWolf
    Participant

Very true. ODU only punted once that I recall. Need to get that fixed stat (“stat means now” – Dwight Schrute). Offense is fun to watch; we need a matching D!

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

I’d rather see a diving missed tackle than an arm tackle any day of the week. On one play I counted SEVEN arm tackles that the ODU RB busted through, turning a two yard loss into a long gain for a first down.

Defense is all about smart positioning and once there, getting in and getting nasty with it, like someone’s trying to steal your lunch money. We’re playing flag football on D.

Mike
    Participant

My entire complaint with the D was the missed tackles. Several times we had a hit (or hits) in the backfield or around the line of scrimmage only to see the tackle broken and a big gainer. As Alpha pointed out above, that pay is one that sticks out in my mind – a gain of 35 after what should have been a 3rd down stop and loss of yardage.

Tackling can be fixed so this part is encouraging.

BJD95
    Keymaster

perhaps “surprise” has an alternate meaning I’m not aware of?

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

I’m surprised they try to call what they do “tackling”. I think Doeren has been watching too many basketball practices. Ole’!!!!

PapaJohn
    Participant

I’m calling out the coaches on this one. Not tackling?
    If we are getting out muscled or they are faster, okay not great, but it happens. But not doing the fundamentals. Unacceptable.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Maybe Doeren needs to invite Bobby Boucher in to teach the defense about tacklin’ fuel?

TheCOWDOG

Tackling fuel is exactly what it’s all about.

Everyone has an opinion, forgive me for facts. The guys that missed Saturday, didn’t the pryor week…I was surprised, too.

When you get to this level, coaches preach tackling, they don’t teach. As a rule, ya already know how.

Greywolf
    Participant

Tackling fuel is exactly what it’s all about.

Everyone has an opinion, forgive me for facts. The guys that missed Saturday, didn’t the pryor week…I was surprised, too.

When you get to this level, coaches preach tackling, they don’t teach. As a rule, ya already know how.

Yeah, Mr. DOG, but how are we going to criticize the coaches abilities if we just say, ‘The coaches need to preach tackling.’?

redcanine
    Participant

Was it poor tackling or did the ODU tailback have huge lanes to sprint through? Most decent tailbacks are tough to bring down in the open field, I’ve heard.

choppack1
    Participant

I did think the tackling was good week 1, didn’t watch much of this game. I’d ask coach dd ic the tackling has been good in practice.

TheCOWDOG

I would go back to GSU, and point out some mighty nice holes ‘tween the tackles that indeed account for a disportionate amount of rushing yardage, there.

ODU, on the otherhand, did get push, but our guys got to ball. They just collectively didn’t finish.
    That’s why Doeren and Huxtable put man to man pressure on the CBs, rollling them up, and put our safeties closer for run support, too.

I’m like ‘foose, I feel a little bit like our LBs and Rover were inna pass frame of mind, and out thought themselves. There is something to that. The tackle becomes almost secondary-ish.

That’s not an excuse. Mo tackling fuel for the boys occupying the space in front of the secondary.

DL needs to start standing some people up, too.

More tackling fuel!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^ Which way to Carter Stadium ???

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheCOWDOG

Just make sure this guy gets to my place.

null

Rick
    Keymaster

Yeah, Mr. DOG, but how are we going to criticize the coaches abilities if we just say, ‘The coaches need to preach tackling.’?

A little fire and brimstone type preaching?

TheCOWDOG

Yessir. My take would be a good old fashioned Cotton Mathers over film on Sunday.

Yesterday may have resembled more than a Bible thumpin’ being thumped.

Today,with game plans being installed…Billy Graham.

Greywolf
    Participant

Rick, I know you are having a little fun with your comment but I don’t think Coach DD is the “fire and brimstone” type – not with the players. The “fire and brimstone” preaching probably has been directed to his DC and his DL coach. There’s evidence of that already. I’d also monitor the D coaches to make sure THEY weren’t delivering any “fire and brimstone” type rants.

DD’s “get them in the right technique” comment was not said in a friendly way. To those who may not know what that means, Google it. It has to do with the way D linemen line up. For example, McKeever mentioned playing some “3 technique”. Bear Bryant is credited with the numbering of the gaps. On the left side, 7 comes before 6. Coach Johnson at GT said it was that way because Bear Bryant numbered it that way and nobody has the guts to change it. 😉

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^just a little Good Cop / Bad Cop will work fine….

Mr. Dog… what’s that address ???

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tjfoose1
    Participant

I’ll state another way – with this crew, as a fan, I wouldn’t worry too much about this poor tackling unless it becomes a trend. If it’s prevalent in the next game, it’s a trend.

To break down, probably too much so:

Young, inexperienced players think more and react less. it’s difficult to get into that ‘zone’, some call it ‘flow’. You’re looking, reading, processing vs reflex and reacting. Throw in youth’s propensity to worry about making a mistake, and there’s too much active, concerted, conscious thinking to fully utilize and maximize athletic ability and performance.

In split seconds, you gotta read, process, and then get to the right spot, then flip a switch and go from cerebral mode to BOOM mode and make the tackle.

Another educated guess tells me the tackling was there in the first game because that offense was covered during fall camp. In game two, the players had one week to prepare for a completely different type of offense. Those missing tackles were mostly first year guys, either freshman, or first year playing. They did not have previous years’ game prep to reference and fall back on.

Thus, with game 2 came more thinking, less ‘just play’ing.

It’ll come. Learning curves should be steep, but I don’t think they’re at the base yet. Give it a few more games.

Hopefully, for now, the offense has enough to carry the team. I don’t know much about South Florida, but I’m guessing they’ll be slight favorites. We’ll know a little more about the Wolfpack after game 3, but just a little.

I’ll be estatic if come the FSU game, we can keep it to ‘just’ a 3 TD difference.

redcanine
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation, foose.

PackFamily
    Participant

I noticed that ODU’s line, RB and QB were exploiting our D-Lines’s initial aggressiveness. They lined the QB and RB back further than normal. Our D-Line got push but blew past the QB or RB. I know that is hard to explain because it didn’t seem like we got in the backfield; it’s just we got there after the QB got the ball away inside to the RB

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.