Do black people not have IDs?

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk Do black people not have IDs?

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    ncsu1987
    Participant

We spend a lot of money on education. A lot. The problem is parents have to be very active in their child’s education. Working with them on their homework. Encouraging them to do their best. Supporting the teachers instead of attacking them. It is very hard for a single parent to do this.

Could not agree more!

My daughter is in college now, but based on her public school experience, you are spot on. Her schools were very, very diverse: nationalities, races, wealth – you name it, it was there. The kids who did best in school (and got the most out of their educational opportunity) were the ones with an strong, engaged advocate at home. It crossed all boundaries of socio-economic strata, racial divides, and language and cultural barriers.

More money into the school systems without disruptive change to how we spend it is NOT the answer.

LOL, don’t agree often with you, but right there with you on this…

Rick
    Keymaster

LOL, don’t agree often with you, but right there with you on this…

Like crack, once you start its hard to stop. 😉

I think its hard to argue against the fact that parents are an integral part of their child’s education. Unfortunately I think many parents believe its the schools job to make sure their child gets an education.
    My children attend a charter school in which parents have to apply and drive the children to school. It is a great school not just because of the way the school is run but also because parents want their kids to be there and thus play a much more active role in their schooling.

ncsu1987
    Participant

^We had many options, but ultimately decided to let her remain in public schools. During middle school, we kept her in a program for exceptional students, then mainstreamed her for high school. Our goal was to provide her experience with diversity, while maximizing her educational opportunity. There were other options available (like charter), and who knows if that would have been better. In this case, not even hindsight is 20/20. Glad you’re having a good experience with it, I know several parents who would agree.

Public education is one area where I’ve almost reached the conclusion that the status quo is unsalvageable. There needs to be a cataclysmic change before things will get better. And again, you’re spot on with parental attitude: too many want to rely on “the village” to educate their children, and as a way to eschew their own responsibilities. As I’ve said before, I’m typically middle of the road moderate, from a political standpoint. I agree that sometimes “the village” can help. But it NEVER replaces my responsibility to my family.

Rick
    Keymaster

Glad you’re having a good experience with it, I know several parents who would agree.

Kind of funny story about that. My base school at the time was one of the worst schools in Raleigh if not NC. I was very stressed about getting my son into a good school. I built a spreadsheet for all of the charter and magnet schools factoring in location, number of free lunches, EOG testing, etc. I then applied to the ones I wanted to get into. The one I ended up getting my son into was the one I thought we had no chance of getting into (200 people apply for 100 spots). Its a great school so thanks.

Pack1997
    Participant

Isn’t the issue accountability regardless of what we are talking about? Less and less folks are holding themseleves or their kids accountable for their actions. Little Johnny is a good kid, it isn’t his fault he broke the law. The schools failed my kid, the government failed my kid. People are always pointing the finger to someone else, only problem, there is 3 pointing back at you.

highstick
    Participant

It’s simple, folks…When you don’t know “who your Daddy” is, you cannot prove who you are yourself!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

highstick
    Participant

A simple photo ID requirement would likely stand up. I don’t get how early voting makes fraud easier. In Texas you can bate anywhere in the county during the two weeks prior to Election Day. There’s an electronic notification that you have voted so you can’t have somebody drive around to 3 or 4 polling places trying to vote multiple times. You can vote without a voter registration card……..by showing a photo ID.

Whoever authored the NC bill deserves a swift kick in the nuts.

Seems like there is “way too much overreach” in a lot of legislation coming out of Raleigh and agree it’s not just one party. Just “same old, same old”, win at all costs by either party…Sorta like what happens with UnC sports!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

StateRed44
    Participant

Shouldn’t be allowed to vote if you don’t pay income taxes to the feds.

YogiNC
    Participant

That could knock out retirees. I’d go for that with the caveat that retirees who have have a record of paying income taxes can still vote.

Smarter than the average bear

burnbarn
    Participant

Shouldn’t be allowed to vote if you don’t pay income taxes to the feds.

Then my 90 year old dad shouldn’t vote. he hasn’t paid taxes of any kind in years. I believe he would argue that point.

StateRed44
    Participant

I don’t think anyone living off government bennies should be able to vote for more, I don’t care what the age. It’s unsustainable and needs to be reeled in.

TheCOWDOG

I don’t think anyone living off government bennies should be able to vote for more, I don’t care what the age. It’s unsustainable and needs to be reeled in.

Wait a damned minute. Are you insinuating retirees are living off the government?

StateRed44
    Participant

If you get out more than you put in, yes I am. It’s math, no emotional arguments needed. Unsustainable

Wulfpack
    Participant

So an impoverished person with disabilities can’t vote for the person they think best represents their interests. Yea, that’s American…

What you are advocating for is unconstitutional, so good luck with that.

YogiNC
    Participant

I’ve been putting money into social security for 47 years. I’m pretty sure I deserve what they will pay me… AND MORE!

TheCOWDOG

Good pull, Wulfpack.

13OT
    Participant

Having worked at various Wake County voting sites for over a decade, I was more concerned with provisional ballots than voter ID. ANYONE could enter a Wake polling place and demand to be allowed to vote, and they would have to be given a provisional ballot to vote, even if they appeared to be well under age 18. And because election boards and most of the poll workers here tend to run on the liberal side per my experience with them, there is no guarantee just what happens to those provisional ballots when they’re sent in on election night. Can you say Broward, Dade or Palm Beach Counties? I wasn’t in favor of photo ID when I worked the polls (and no longer do), but do think that some kind of ID should be required by every voter on voting day. That’s just common sense. Another problem to me is the lengthy early voting period. If I had my way, voting would be done ONLY on election day.

Too many things are being given away or allowed in this country. And once that happens, you absolutely cannot undo it without being labeled in the worst way.

I have never seen this nation as polarized as it is now. I’d like to say just why, but if I did, there’s no doubt in my mind that this post would be erased. So much for freedom of speech.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I have never seen this nation as polarized as it is now.

dead on the money… OT

This country, who from it’s origin was built on diversity of people and ideas, is now more divided, more distant and in more damn trouble than at any time since 1860…

which makes me shudder at politicians and preachers who insist on running campaigns, governments and churches that divide people instead of bringing them together.

As one with some gray hair, I hate that my four kids will have to deal with this mess, more than I will.

Besides… the Belgiums are selling “America Beer” in red and white cans….
    and Trump’s campaign manager appears to have been on Putin’s payroll for years…

plus *NC’s defense for two plus decades of sham classes is…
    “The NCAA has no jurisdiction over ‘academic fraud’…, so F off…”

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    pakfanistan
    Participant

What’s with wanting to restrict voting to one day?

What’s the rationale behind it?

MrPlywood
    Participant

I’m in. Everyone should also have to file their tax returns on April 15, between the hours of 9 and 5.

YogiNC
    Participant

What’s with wanting to restrict voting to one day?

What’s the rationale behind it?

How about 200 plus years of precedent? That’s why it’s called election DAY. And as for polarization, yep, that is entirely on Obama’s shoulders. He is without a doubt the absolute worst president in history. Almost NO economic growth (economy looks like the great depression), rhetoric beyond belief which daily creates racial strife, a judicial system that allows a criminal to be running for president (Hillary should be in jail not on the campaign trail), ransom to Iran, a public healthcare system that is going broke day by day. I could make a list that would fill up this page.

StateRed44
    Participant

So an impoverished person with disabilities can’t vote for the person they think best represents their interests. Yea, that’s American…

What you are advocating for is unconstitutional, so good luck with that.

Why should someone who doesn’t contribute get to vote for me to pay their way at the threat of prison time? This upside down scenario is destroying the greatest civilization in the history of the world. Here’s another clue, cultural diversity is weakness not a strength.

burnbarn
    Participant

44 is on a roll..

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Working folks are suckers, indeed! Work them fingers to the bone, give 1/3 of it away right off the bat. Stupid bastards is what ya are.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Enfranchise criminals who’ve done their time. Income and/or property requirements have no place in the discussion of voting rights. Period. That was settled many years ago.

With that said, voting is a privilege. Too many with no skin in the game. If you really think, however, that those with no skin in the game are really shifting the election curve and determining outcomes, I don’t buy it. Show me some to back that up. It’s like arguing social welfare programs drive the economy down the tank. Most of these folks don’t vote. Retirees, the exception.

I’m all for a military service, or public service (domestic or foreign) requirement, which could be deferred depending on education, etc. Don’t fulfill that requirement, don’t get the privilege of voting.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.