Debbie Yow

Home Forums All StateFansNation Debbie Yow

Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Whiteshoes67
    Participant

I’m behind our guy 100%. When I said be scared of Keatts, it was premature on my part and based on the limited action I’ve seen, the Louisville recruiting incident, and some doubt about his scheme working against top-tier talent on a regular basis. And I emphasis regular. It’s one thing to surprise someone you don’t see frequently in a tournament; it’s completely another to face top talent and coaching 1-2x a year, and surprise them. I still think the jury is out on that one. How well he learns and can adapt to his personnel and game situations will demonstrate how good a coach at this level he is. But I like what I now know, and I have some very close family and friends with deep ties to him while he was a Ferrum as a player and student.

Marshall would’ve always been my #1 for three hiring cycles now. I thought it less likely he’d come here this go around than the past 2, simply because he’s making a pile, he has a daughter that’s a JR or SR in high school, and we screwed up with him twice before (Fowler didn’t even call; Yow went after Smart, then probably low-balled and/or offered a short-term deal not befitting his resume than still almost lured him away). But to suggest there are any coaching doubts about Marshall is nuts. He’s as sure fire a winner as there is. He’s widely been touted as an excellent evaluator of talent going back to his assistant coaching days in Charleston. Signing stars is overrated. There are plenty of Felipe Lopez’s out there. Being able to distinguish talent and teachability from stars and AAU hype is the key, and integrating that talent into a team is pivotal. Cleanthony Early is the best player Marshall has had in 20+ years. He would’ve killed it here but it wasn’t the right time. My thinking is that if he is going to make a move, it will probably happen at the end of next season. I don’t see IU getting him right now.

McCallum
    Participant

Marshall to Indiana.

Mark it down.

McCallum

travelwolf
    Participant

I tip my hat to DY… one of the best things that has happened to this school.

She has hired coaches who know how to win – and gets rid of those who can’t perform. She is also engaged with the student athletes (e.g. Abu remarked that she had spoken to the players to find out what they are looking for in another coach). In my opinion, choosing coaches is a lot like choosing stocks… there is a lot of randomness and no one can win 100%. So, if you bat .4, you are doing pretty good.

We’ll miss her.

44rules
    Participant

One thing I think even the Yow haters should admit is that, unlike the previous occupant, she wants to win.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

Adventuroo
    Participant

Observations…

Obviously, after my rocky start with Debbie Yow, I am a supporter. I believe, knowing what I know and speculating (based on logic, not my “wanne’s”), that she did a good job and that we have a good coach.

Wonder WHY Pat Kelsey had a “Change of Heart”? UMass had him locked up longer than we had Shaka and he obviously knows that waiting so long to renege will impact his future job searches (Remember the old punchline with Bobby Cremmins committed to USC and THEN went up there….rode around….and turned around and went BACK to Atlanta and they had the equivalent of the Saban No Show when he was flying off to Bama?) The punchline was “What does USC stand for?”. The answer, “U Seen Cremmins?”

McC, I don’t know if I totally support your Marshall to Indiana prediction. Not enough to wager on, but wonder. Personally think that Indiana is laying low. They are PROBABLY pulling FOR Kentucky tonight so that Mr. Stevie (Wonder Boy) Alford will be “available” for discussions concerning their basketball program’s direction. COULD BE WRONG. But if GreGG was the Target, then they should have already moved and had the presser. We shall see… GreGG’s wife now enters the lofty world of “Wives that totally impacted their husband’s coaching careers”. The chairperson of that group is Mrs. Shaka Smart (if I have to retell the tale, you need to leave here and go back to PP…you AIN’T got the qualifications for SFN). Now, Mrs. Potty Mouth Marshall is joining the club. Wonder if she had a cocktail or two?

Finally, thanks for the MG update…If you look at the SB Nation article…notice the pciture they used has him in a LIGHT BLUE shirt. Need I say more? The Comments sound like they were written by the “informed and vocal” posters here. NOT very happy. “RETREAD” was the most poignant. and a little cruel. That is NOW how Mark the Prowler and “fixed” 53 YO wants to be portrayed. However, the fact that he IS in the hunt for a NCAA gig tells me that his accountant had a little Heart-to-Heart with him. The $760K (less Agent’s take) ain’t gonna support his past liability of a High Maintenance Female and his present outgo for a YOUNGER, High Maintenance and Party Loving, GF….plus his OTHER expenses.

I sort of wonder if DY didn’t do some “calculating”. She WAS friends with MG for many years. She also has been is boss for a long time. It does NOT take a Warren Buffett to figure out that he can NOT exist on less than 40% of his “inflow” with his lifestyle. Factor in that ESPN is NOT HIRING (was that a secret that only the NSA and the Ex Administration picked up from wiretapping? Will I be indicted for typing it and releasing it?) SO, if DY read the tea leaves like I think she did….cutting MG and having to “pay” was not a 100% deal.

BUT, MG is fast on his feet with a quick mouth. HE will survive….and, if necessary, we will pay…

To say DY is the best AD since Casey is setting an awfully low bar don’t you think? IMHO, her replacement is THE most important hire to be made by this program. Get it right and you can get back to where we are relevant once again in the major sports. Get it wrong and literally you can throw dirt on the program for the remainder of my life. That is where we find ourselves after four or five horrid mistakes.

Do I think she has been a good AD? Not really. Do we need to hit a homerun on with her replacement, absolutely! Hope is eternal and I’m afraid another poor choice could be eternal as well.

McCallum
    Participant

Marshall to Indiana.

Mark it down.

McCallum

Crow ain’t bad.

Might even help my sinuses.

McCallum

rthomas44
    Participant

Don’t down grade Casey, he hired V and Holtz. State never had a lot cash in those days. Look at State’s record. I also think DY has done a very good job. I wouldn’t want?to be in her her shoes.

MrPlywood
    Participant

McCallum wrote:
    Marshall to Indiana.

Mark it down.

McCallum
    Crow ain’t bad.

Might even help my sinuses.

McCallum

Often wrong.

Never in doubt.

McCallum.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I really do NOT know WHERE this comment belongs….some would suggest in the TRASH….but that has not stopped others….

After reading the “Archie” monologue, I wrote this offline and started to post it there. Read the Archie for background….

Reynolds project was “MANAGED” by Debbie underling Michael Lipitz. The inspiration and “dream” for it was Debbie’s. If you have not been there or not involved or not familiar, it was an astonishing success given the time frame. I have done a lot of projects, but mine were less $$, but equally challenging as folks had to be able to work during the demo and reconstruction.

Fund Raising and “Marketing” of that and other Capital projects is the result of Bobby Purcell’s skills. He has the “Salesmanhip” abilities of Valvano. Debbie was involved and was a “motivational” speaker, but WPC carried the load to get it funded.

CHEAP is what Willis Casey was. That, in the end, chased off Norm Sloan. Silver lining was Valvano. BUT, not paying Valvano what he was worth lead to him getting diluted and also spread too thin. His downfall. Jimmy V was a family man first and wanted to provide for his family. Had his value been rewarded, we might NOT have had the Witch Hunt that has plagued us for 27 years. And all the discussion of why NCSU is NOT the powerhouse that it once was … would not be happening.

Willis Casey is revered by most NCSU followers and fans. His “Cheapness” gets glossed over and there is no blame laid to him for how he “held the line” on $$ for Sloan (Valvano WORKED OUT) or how the Admin had to “reward” Jimmy V to keep him at NCSU.

No OTHER AD, in NCSU History has brought the same amount of prestige and esteem to NCSU. Title IX changed the world. SO, if you have to (thanks to NCAA and Courts “legislating from the BENCH”) provide funds and compete in NON-Revenue sports, you SHOULD do it to WIN. We did NOT. We have NOT. We are doing it NOW.

Debbie tries to be practical and not CHEAP. Do you really think that if Archie or whomever wanted to come here that MONEY would be an issue. Gregg Marshall probably jacked up the price to keep from saying NO. If you think that Debbie was cheap….write her and tell her and ask who she sought.

Debbie probably regrets the contract extension. All folks, sometimes, make mistakes. If you learn and improve, then you go on. I think that she SHOULD have fired GOTT when he had off court issues. A LOT of donor$ of $igniciant magnitude thought so. SO, if she fired him after going to the NCAA, would YOU be happy?. I think that he conned her and she realized it and hoped for the best, but planned for the worst. Lutz was his Mulligan and this year told the tale.

There is a dichotomy that is developing here. THIS IS NOT, I HOPE, MISCONSTRUED AS A POLITICAL RANT OR CONDEMNATION….just a viewpoint. I am NOT taking sides…

What SHOULD NCSU’s goals be?

Should we be ONLY a P5 Football School with LOW Director’s cup rankings?

Should we be ONLY a P5 Basketball School with LOW DC’s rankings?

Should we be ONLY a P5 “Title IX” School with HIGH DC’s rankings?

Take a survey….chose the demographics….I know what I would want….but I am only one voice. Now, since I support my Alma Mater with LTR’s and also donations….that are ONLY SPORTS related, do I get a bigger vote or does my vote count more?

It seems to me that NCSU is transitioning from a rather conservative institution (probably more Trump support from grads of 15 or so years ago) to a more diverse university. Some don’t like it. Some applaud it. It WOULD appear from the CURRENT guidance of the UNC BOG and the NCSU BOT that we will continue in this vein, but perhaps with a little more swing back to the roots. The recent downsizing of the UNC BOG could be interpreted many ways.

The NCGA is trying to “recenter” the UNC BOG to get it mainstream….as in eliminate the UNC Domination (which followed the NCGA’s previous party affiliation). That is why it is being reduced in size and the selection process is being “revised”.

NCSU, as a campus, is now “coming out” with some snowflake reactions and folks have been vocal about the radical changes. Change is necessary, but SOME feel that NCSU (as well as other institutions) are actually banning free speech as the speakers or students that disagree with the “Faculty” political opinions are being punished. I remember the NC Speaker Ban Law when the NCGA wanted to keep a “Commie” from talking on campus at UNC. Now it is somewhat the reverse…

It appears there is no middle ground.

BOTTOM LINE…I think that Debbie is trying to satisfy BOTH worlds or viewpoints.

AS to “We WUZ TOO CHEAP” and did not lure Archie or go after Greggy….? Where has that been verified or written? Did either one of their agent’s TELL US THAT? The logical (GOD Forbid) conclusion is that, regardless of our own pompous and biased looking in the mirror, we are NOT as attractive as we ONCE WERE. We are NOT the NCSU of the 70’s and 80’s and the N&O and the UNC Crowd (abetted by our own Dr. Monteith) successfully tarred us and destroyed part of our legacy. It only takes ONE incident to destroy a legacy built over a lifetime.

rthomas44
    Participant

If Casey was cheap, remember, he worked in the days of noESPN, and had to may the bond payment annually? on Carter statium.

Hamlet
    Participant

Figured we could all use some good news…

State currently ranked 11th nationally in the Director’s Cup & 2nd in the ACC.

choppack1
    Participant

Hamlet- good call out. Certainly, overall, our athletic department has taken a gargantuan step forward under her leadership…if Keatts and Doeren can be successful then she will rightfully have a large building or two in her name and will place her face on state’s athletic mt. Rushmore.

tractor57
    Participant

I’m not ready to declare sainthood for Yow but I do think she has been the best AD for State since Casey -and yes that includes Valvano as well as Robinson.

Radman
    Participant

I’m not ready to declare sainthood for Yow but I do think she has been the best AD for State since Casey -and yes that includes Valvano as well as Robinson.

The bar is pretty low…

tractor57
    Participant

Agreed the bar is low but a damn sight better than Foul up.

YogiNC
    Participant

Given the choice between Jed and a possum I’d take the possum, gravy and all.

Smarter than the average bear

tractor57
    Participant

Jed, Todd Turner, Les and maybe Jimmy V. My opinion the road to peril started with scrambling for money to keep Jim as BB coach – of course the N&O crowd in in on the fix.

GoldenChain
    Participant

I’ve made that same comment then been told how bad Casey was. All I know is we won 2 NCAAs under him and all our minor sports were superb including swimming, tennis, wrestling, and soccer. Plus we won our last ACC FB title under him and we hired Holtz who probably is the best FB coach we ever had. When someone can show a NCSU AD with better stats then I’ll accept the criticisms.

tractor57
    Participant

I’m not carrying water for Casey. For his era he was a good AD but Sloan returned to Florida in part because of money and the making Valvano coach and AD was a move designed to increase his pay. Maybe as much a BOG/BOT issue as anything so I’m not going to slam him a lot. I can say the performance of our AD’s since Casey until Yow was more than bad. Yow has at least shown some program improvement (not enough yet in football or men’s BB) and we apparently still have an athletics dept that is not a black hole for money overall. They say money is the mother’s milk of politics and it also is for college athletics but as with anything there has to be some sense of proportion.

And yes for whatever reason the men’s BB program was MUCH better then.

Greywolf
    Participant

And yes for whatever reason the men’s BB program was MUCH better then.

That “whatever reason’s” name was Everett Case. Coach Case had Reynolds Coliseum built, brought the Dixie Classic holiday tournament to Reynolds, won 9 regular season championships and 8 tournament championships.

we hired Holtz who probably is the best FB coach we ever had.

Earle Edwards was the best football coach we ever had. He had to play home games vs. EweNC in Chapel Hill for 10 years our stadium was so small and decrepit. Still in the 17 years he coached here he won or tied 5 conference championships. Carter Stadium was completed during Earle’s time as HC. His best national ranking was 3rd.

Lou Holtz stood on Earle Edward’s shoulders to accomplish what he did at North Carolina State University (as he always called it) but he didn’t have to recruit players to play in old, 20,000+/- seat Riddick Stadium (1907-1965).

tractor57
    Participant

I won’t argue with Case given what he did. Edwards was a very fine coach as was Holtz – I’ll call that a wash looking over both careers. My point is not since the days of Casey we have underachieved. Maybe AD, maybe coaching. Regardless I do see some sparks of life during Yow’s tenure. I also see some issues – maybe of her own making or maybe forced on her by circumstance.

13OT
    Participant

As an LTR donor for football and basketball, I couldn’t care less about the Director’s Cup. What I DO care about is that NCSU football hasn’t won the ACC in 38 years and basketball hasn’t won the ACC in 30 years. On top of that, neither program has even seriously contended for the ACC title, and in fact have, for many years, struggled just to get to or just above .500 in the league. Solid coaching hires? Those hires’ ACC records certainly don’t back up that claim.

My biggest concern about the AD’s last hire is that it seemed to lack any sense of urgency as to how long we’ve been bad and what to do about it NOW, not 4 or 5 years from now. The focus didn’t appear to be national but rather local, and again we’ve ended up with another unproven hire. Many on here have declared that we needed to make this hire quickly before someone else grabbed him. Seriously? Are you kidding me?

As for the AD, she is indeed better than the last one, but that’s like saying that the 1963 Mets were a big improvement over their 1962 predecessors. Furthermore, I’m still not convinced that she’s ready to retire anytime soon.

We may not be the NC State of the 1970s and 1980s. I get that. I just want to know when we’ll quit being the NC State of the 1990s and the 2000s. How long is this malaise going to last?

We’ve just seen UNC hang another banner while we keep sinking deeper and deeper into football and basketball obscurity. What we’re doing is clearly not working, but we keep on doing it anyway.

tractor57
    Participant

All valid points I agree. But with the last hire I have no idea what went on behind the scenes. Obviously Archie wasn’t coming to coach and possibly Keatts was the top candidate actually willing to take the job. Will he be a step up? I think he will. Will that recreate the 1970’s and 1980’s for men’s BB? Possibly but I doubt it. I am willing to see how the situation plays out. At least he did not play us for a pay raise like Calipari and Smart (who both eventually left their schools for bigger gigs).

I’m glad to see better performance in the various non revenue sports but I also put most of my stock in Men’s BB and football (followed by women’s BB).

Viewing 24 posts - 51 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.