Debbie Yow

Home Forums All StateFansNation Debbie Yow

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    choppack1
    Participant

One of the traits of competence is that you learn from mistakes.

Her first basketball search was a disaster in every way possible.

But her football search was much quieter and as others have mentioned, the non-revenue sports haven’t been better in a long time. She does rub a lot of people the wrong way – assertive, confident, demanding and decisive people tend to do that – especially when they are female.

This has emerged as the classic Deb Yow revenue hire:
    – hot commodity with limited experience
    – confident, almost to the point of arrogance

She places a great deal of “faith” in personality. Ironically, she has a similar viewpoint to many of our fans who are enamoured with “swagger” and the “it” factor. If I were to wax poetic with her on the effectiveness on coaching I would probably surmise that both Dean and Coach K would have likely failed that test. (As would Bill Belicheck.)

As for this hire, like DD there are red flags. And one of these potential red flags (like it should have with Gott) – shouldn’t be allowed to reoccur again. The best news for the reddest flag is that a) he wasn’t in charge when it happened b) he hasn’t been implicated and c) it has little to do with coaching.

His on court red flag is the defense. We will find out if Wilmington’s below average defense (and that is putting it nicely)
    is something that was a part of the growth process or if it’s a limitation directly resulting from teaching / philosophy and execution as it was unquestionably with Gott.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Is this the ghost of Kay Yow?

Oops.

She does rub a lot of people the wrong way – assertive, confident, demanding and decisive people tend to do that – especially when they are female.

I think there’s a lot too that. I don’t recall seeing any articles about the other ADs who recently gave their coaches the boot – Illinois, Washington, Missouri, et al. Double standard again. Thanks Sweaty.

JeremyH
    Participant

Did she make this hire to avoid media mocking I told you so for bigger hires?

JeremyH
    Participant

She places a great deal of “faith” in personality. Ironically, she has a similar viewpoint to many of our fans who are enamoured with “swagger” and the “it” factor. If I were to wax poetic with her on the effectiveness on coaching I would probably surmise that both Dean and Coach K would have likely failed that test. (As would Bill Belicheck.)

Well put and this is the part that blows me away. And why I liked Wade. Obsessive competitiveness over expert shmooser.

Pack1997
    Participant

When has Debbie Yow ever been worried about criticism and what others think? The woman is retiring, even if she did care I doubt she does anymore. Perhaps this is hard to fathom, but we aren’t considered one of the elite programs. It’s time we stopped thinking the tier one coaches want to come to State. After the numerous searches in both football and basketball is is clear what the coaching world thinks of our programs. We have no choice but to go with a coach with way more potential than proven track record. To assume this is DY fault is just plain wrong. Blame the ineptitude of the coaches and ADs before her. Thank her for trying her damnedest to right the ship.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Ironically, she has a similar viewpoint to many of our fans who are enamoured with “swagger” and the “it” factor. If I were to wax poetic with her on the effectiveness on coaching I would probably surmise that both Dean and Coach K would have likely failed that test.

And I dare say that V would have passed with flying colors.

choppack1
    Participant

Yes, but I have my doubts about Coach Sheridan. Me, I’d prefer her to be more data focused, but I do think she has excellent instincts. Heck, she identified Franklin before others who hire head coaches did.

She can place her head on the Nc state mt. Rushmore if DD and KK turn out well.

Greywolf
    Participant

Her last 2 major hires have personalities as different as night and day. I think we need to look beyond personalities. This will not sound good to many here but both DD & KK spoke about similar values. One thing they have in common is the goal of taking their respective programs beyond mere “improvement” and aiming for big time results.

IMO those results may be slower getting here than we like, but they are coming. We are in a big pond with some very big fish. This ain’t your father’s ACC.

rthomas44
    Participant

Living close to WILMINGTON, I have seen UNCW be pulled out of the mud by KK. Remember, Buzz Peterson was the one that put UNCW in the mud. This guy can coach. Yow made the right choice.

pappy
    Participant

please encourage Debbie to hire Holly Warlick away from Tennessee. She has turned the Lady Vols into a dumpster fire. Maybe Yow can work some magic there…

Pappy Q

Gowolves
    Participant

Well put and this is the part that blows me away. And why I liked Wade. Obsessive competitiveness over expert shmooser.

Excellent points. I think Keatts has a little of both. This gives him the great ability to recruit and the obsessive work ethic. The mentality that the other team will not be in better condition than our team.

choppack1
    Participant

Grey – I hope you are correct. She is looking for superstars (which makes the Gottfried hire look like even more of a panic move in hindsight.)

MrPlywood
    Participant

It was a complete panic move, pulling the guy off the scrapheap. I’m surprised that it worked out as well as it did. I distinctly remember thinking “Who?”

Greywolf
    Participant

Grey – I hope you are correct. She is looking for superstars (which makes the Gottfried hire look like even more of a panic move in hindsight.)

Agree, Gottfried hire was a panic move especially after the Smart deal went south so late in the game. She likely waited until season end to start. Not this time.

Not disagreeing when I say she is looking for superstar results — and she’s hired 2 relatively young coaches with ambition and a plan to fulfill that ambition. I don’t think it’s personal ambition as much as it is program ambition. Both can co-exist but program ambition is the one that interests me. Another commonality is work ethic. They will not be out worked. That’s needed when resurrecting a dormant program IMO. IOW NC State needs more than a good coach to climb back to the top.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Wade is obsessive and micromanaging. He’s proud of controlling the temperature players sleep at. Sometimes there is such a thing as too much.

Also, he’s the new coach at LSU, so we’ll find out how good he really is soon enough.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

IOW NC State needs more than a good coach to climb back to the top.

I disagree…unless by “more than good” you mean “great”. State has the facilities that many claim are needed to attract talent and the finances to pay a competitive salary (maybe not Top10, but damned competitive). The one thing missing for decades has been a great coach.

JeremyH
    Participant

Looking at the USA Today list we’re paying new coach top 20 salary. Yes, Gott was stealing money.

tractor57
    Participant

It was chump change if he delivered. Sadly he did not. Hopefully Keatts can follow the ghosts of Case, Sloan and Valvano …

MBS
    Participant
    Greywolf
    Participant

I disagree…unless by “more than good” you mean “great”. State has the facilities that many claim are needed to attract talent and the finances to pay a competitive salary (maybe not Top10, but damned competitive). The one thing missing for decades has been a great coach.

I did mean “great” coach. I actually had typed great coach but changed it to “more than good” coach.

So I did mean great coach thinking if we are to have a great coach, we are going to have to spot him before he’s known to be great and let him develop into a great coach.

I might as well say it, I do not see Miller as a “great” coach. At Dayton he’s been IMO not much more than a “place holder” — no damage but no real forward movement to where he can be called “great”.

Hamlet
    Participant

Wow, MBS. Thanks for posting that link.

I have read a few stories the past 24 hours regarding Wade, most of which I initially chalked up to sour grapes or conjecture by those who did not know much. But the story you posted and another I read this morning from a Clemson site have me even more convinced that we hired the right guy. Wade is too young, thinks very highly of himself, and obviously has a lot to learn as a head coach. It was wise for him to jump at the first big payday he was offered. Supposedly, he wanted $2.8 million/season from State and there was no way we were going to pay him that.

Yow and Keatts looking better by the day.

MrPlywood
    Participant

The article re: Wade is eye opening, and speaks to Pakfan’s comment “Wade is obsessive and micromanaging.” Especially this part: “There have been several reports citing tension between Wade and his players, coaches and administrators at VCU.” We didn’t need that again.

Greywolf
    Participant

http://herosports.com/news/will-wade-vcu-basketball-players-unfazed-ugly-departure-bgbg

MBS, Start another thread with this, please. Or we will be reading about how we should have taken Wade for years. Actually we dodged a bullet.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I might as well say it, I do not see Miller as a “great” coach. At Dayton he’s been IMO not much more than a “place holder” — no damage but no real forward movement to where he can be called “great”.

We have stretched the same conversation into multiple threads, which makes it hard to keep who said what straight. But I think that we agree on a lot of general things, but our differences start to creep in when we get down to specific evaluations/conclusions.

I doubt that many would claim that either Miller or Keatts is a great coach today. Up until this point, both have had to work with the limitations that their mid/low major school places on them. The open question is how good either would be on the main stage with a P-5 school. (Side note, I have the same question about Marshall…in other words, I wouldn’t pay $4M+ for him.)

The difference is that Archie has been very successful in a better conference than UNC-W plays in. While you can’t guarantee the results of either coach, I would feel more comfortable with Archie. But as my favorite example Pete Gillen shows, some just can’t get it done at the next level.

ryebread
    Participant

Archie would have been a very good coach here. His 23-13 record at Dayton against the P5+Big East, the fact that he has done thing there that have NEVER been done at that program and me actually watching the games and seeing the adjustments, timely time outs, etc. showed me all I needed. He didn’t want to coach at NC State at this time, but there’s no need to run him (or Yow) down for it. Those grapes weren’t sour and I wish Archie all the best in any game not played against NC State.

I’d have never played Marshall’s game. He is a good coach but not a guarantee and the only way we’d have gotten him is if the Koch brothers decided he wasn’t worth paying any more. That’s not a great situation and is a recipe for getting played for a raise or a contract that would have been so big that there would have been a very short leash.

So, we had two realistic choices and I personally think we went with the better one. On the Wade/Keatts line, I preferred Keatts based on his track record and watching their respective teams play. Everything that has come out of Wade to LSU has me feeling like we really dodged a bullet (and I thought of him as candidate Sendek 2.DD).

It doesn’t mean that Keatts will be wildly successful. It just means (to me) that Yow did the best one could reasonably expect.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.