Darn good places to eat

Home Forums All StateFansNation Darn good places to eat

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    redwolf87
    Participant

Their Pork Tenderloin biscuits are fantastic – and the line routinely goes out the door as locals wait for it.

I do NOT recommend the Lexington BBQ festival. I thought I was going to some kind of BBQ Mecca. It was not. It was just another fall fest. Arts and crafts, a beer garden and like 2 tents serving BBQ. Boo….

Double score.

I used to work on that end of town (hell I lived a mile from Country Barbecue…the neighborhood wasn’t bad yet but we got out in time about 12 years ago…actually got completely out of Greensboro). The barbecue was great and the pork tenderloin biscuit was out of this world, especially with their Lexington barbecue sauce.

I love all the Lexington barbecue places, but the festival is ridiculous. The one time that we went was Fedora’s first year when we lost to them and I wondered how there could be anybody at the game because everyone in North Carolina was at that frigging festival. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that many people in one place in my life, and that includes the State Fair. Found a tent to buy barbecue, which was great, but gee whiz.

redwolf87
    Participant

Couple of other Charleston places:

Poogan’s Porch (very nice Shrimp and Grits)
    Carolina’s

Authentic New Mexican:
    Sadie’s, Albuquerque

Authentic New Mexican and Breakfast:
    The Frontier, Albuquerque, across from UNM – it’s a bit of a frantic scramble but worth it.

Authentic New Mexican Breakfast:
    Loyola’s, Albuquerque – they filmed some of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul here but the burritos are terrific.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Maybe someone remembers, or perhaps it was just a figment of my imagination – that is completely possible given the times. I recall a very narrow-shaped on the inside, small, down and out type bar named Red’s on Hillsborough Ave. I’m going back to 1972-76. Not always filled with us then- student-kids. Red cooked the burgers on a black pepper covered grill. An original equal opportunity chef, he was. Both the beers and burgers were cheap, as well as excellent. My room mate and I used to go down there back in those stone ages, and crush a few burgers and beer. Alright, more than a few, but it was a great place for a tasty inexpensive meal and buzz. Does anyone recall Red’s? What happened to Red’s? Anyone?

At any rate, Merry Christmas to all Wolfpackerssssss

freshmanin83
    Participant

Oops.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Maybe someone remembers, or perhaps it was just a figment of my imagination – that is completely possible given the times. I recall a very narrow-shaped on the inside, small, down and out type bar named Red’s on Hillsborough Ave. I’m going back to 1972-76. Not always filled with us then- student-kids. Red cooked the burgers on a black pepper covered grill. An original equal opportunity chef, he was. Both the beers and burgers were cheap, as well as excellent. My room mate and I used to go down there back in those stone ages, and crush a few burgers and beer. Alright, more than a few, but it was a great place for a tasty inexpensive meal and buzz. Does anyone recall Red’s? What happened to Red’s? Anyone?

At any rate, Merry Christmas to all Wolfpackerssssss

Was it called the College Grill run by a guy called Red? Red was from Brooklyn it seems and the bar was underneath Mitch’ s Tavern I read he bought the place when Red retired and used it as storage.

YogiNC
    Participant

Couple of other Charleston places:

Poogan’s Porch (very nice Shrimp and Grits)

Poogan’s in Charleston was one of our go to places since forever, Yes, theirs is the best S&G in Charleston IMO. Peanut Butter Pie! YUM! Boiled Peanut Succotash is the most interesting and totally unique side item I’ve ever had, plus being a boiled peanut “nut” it fit me perfectly. Eat there once and you’ll return often.

Also 82 Queen is top notch, the name is the address.

Our most favorite in the Holy City is Old Town, right on the corner of King and Market streets near the slave market. Best Greek food around! Back in the 80’s they had their chickens roasting on a spit that blew the smoke out on the sidewalk. The smell would drag customers in from blocks around. When they remodeled the city inspectors made them modify their exhaust, too bad.

Every year they have a Greek Festival in Charleston on Mother’s Day weekend. It’s a blast! Great food and it puts the Raleigh Greek Festival to shame.

Smarter than the average bear

ryebread
    Participant

Yogi: it is my opinion that most of the food in Charleston puts its equivalent in Raleigh to shame. Charleston is one of the top 3 food cities in America on any list. You won’t find Raleigh on any of those lists, and if we’re honest we know why. Are there good places? Sure, but not like we see in Charleston, New York, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Austin, etc..

rthomas44
    Participant

Went to Reds in 74, my apartment mate worked there, short guy…Bill Wellborn. He was a good guy but a little crazy. Burgers were real peppery and great.

YogiNC
    Participant

Rye, there are many foods that I judge where ever I eat. My all time favorite way to have a cheeseburger is with only chili (grew up on those things). On Ashley Phosphate Road in North Charleston is a place called Roberts Barbecue. THE BEST I’ve ever had PERIOD. They also serve a mustard based barbecue and it is totally different than either version of NC ‘cue. When the wife and I go to Roberts it’s a chili cheeseburger and a barbecue sandwich with onion rings and fries. A few years back friends of mine were visiting Charleston and on their way home they ate lunch at Roberts and brought us back a bag of takeout!!! Wonderful surprise.

McCallum
    Participant

Merry Christmas you losers.

McCallum

wirogers
    Participant

Yup, that is me, the old man loser who sits alone at the back of the Church’s Candlelight service. Have good holidays

tractor57
    Participant

Mention of Charleston – my stepdaughter graduated from College of Charleston so we made many visits. In those days Johnson and Wales had a campus there so most any hole in the wall was started by a J$W grad or student. The good thing is they did not veer away from the traditional foods just with a bity of a twist. Other than chains some of the best food I found.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Freshmanin83,
    I believe that you are correct. It was the college Grill run by a guy called Red, hence those of us who were regulars just called it Red’s. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Senility is a bitch.

YogiNC
    Participant

Funny story tractor57, back in my navy days lots of the food service guys (we called them ‘mess cranks’) took classes at J&W during off crew time. It didn’t help them a bit, the food still sucked. Many a meal was missed by taking a glance at what was being served, LOL, I would rather just go to sleep.

McCallum
    Participant

First Street Draught House, Winston-Salem.

Food is damn good, smallish bar but close quartered and fun as hell.

Right under the old Hawthorn Street curve at old 40.

Many, many good times had there.

McCallum

McCallum
    Participant

Speedy’s BBQ in Lexington.

chapel hill has a number of places but any place serving up social justice is off the list.

No ideology.

McCallum

redwolf87
    Participant

Speedy’s is really good. Failed to mention Barbecue Center earlier, with mountain-sized banana splits.

ATL: Watershed. Emily Saliers of the Indigo Girls owns part of it. I ate there several years ago when it was still in a converted gas station in Decatur. Now it’s in Brookwood Hills on Peachtree. They had then, and still have now, Fried Chicken Wednesdays (not typically on the menu), and assuming they haven’t changed the recipe, it is sublime. In my mind, the only superior chicken I’ve sampled is Austin Leslie’s fried chicken served up in N’awlins at Chez Helene (which is not there anymore and Austin’s gone on to the Great Beyond; died of a heart attack in Atlanta after being forced to leave due to Katrina).

McCallum
    Participant

Is the Pony Island restaurant still open on Oracoke?

McCallum

Fastback68
    Participant

Bridge Tender is still outstanding.

Seafood Hut in Calabash has fallen off considerably. Management changed and the service has gotten molasses slow and the food is just average now. Hate that. That had become our goto in the Brunswick Isles.

We went to the Hut last night. You were right about the food being average now. The oyster stew and the shrimp cocktail were way off as well.

Fastback68
    Participant

The Parson’s Table and Martinis are up next. The Chesapeake House was packed when we drove by last night. Somebody recommended it to us.

LifeLongWolf
    Participant

One place I would definitely NOT recommend is Picnic in Durham. It touts itself as a classic BBQ joint, but it’s an abomination. Trendy hipster place with no soul and bad food.

tractor57
    Participant

Don’t know if it still exists but the best hog I found was at a hole in the wall pub in Spartanburg, SC. Called the Nu Way lounge and the Converse College Connies used to frequent there in the ’80’s. A buddy and I were regular enough that the waitress would order a pitched of beer for us when we walked in. Cold beer, good dogs, nice people. The barkeep was the owner’s son (and a black belt in karate) so I felt safe.

WallyB
    Participant

Gerhard’s Cafe, Spartanburg, SC

Last year we were in town for business and discovered this place. Classic Austrian & German food. They have 2 dining rooms. One formal, one informal. I had a tall glass of Warsteiner & the Elk Rouladen with Spaetzel and red cabbage. I’m sure having so many native Germans in town due to BMW keeps them in business.

Amazing.

GoldenChain
    Participant

BBQ Center is by far the best place in Lexington (more moist and not just cooked pork with sauce on it) and if you’re still hungry they have this ice cream thing with a scoop of a bunch of things and a squirt of several toppings.

Don’t know what BBQ festival you guys went to but the one I attended had like a half dozen stands from different places.

Of course the best place is GC’s spit! I smoke a butt and then chop it into 1 1/2# freezer bags and pull it out and use some occasionally (like last night!).

3 weeks ago tomorrow mymen’s group did a whoelhog, 12 butts, 8 racks of rib and for the heck of it a brisket not to mention however many chicken quarters we did.

tractor57
    Participant

There was a BBQ place in north Burlington (almost Haw River). Unique as no wet sauce. Later moved to south US 70 and I think currently no more. I moved back to Yadkin County many years ago and there was a small German Family Restaurant. Good food but way out and in a then dry county. In work life I traveled a lot all over the country and found an eastern NC BBQ place along US 1 in north Jersey.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 180 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.