Darn good places to eat

Home Forums All StateFansNation Darn good places to eat

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ok… I’ll say Uncle…. you guys GOT me…
    I don’t think I’ve ever heard of “Shoo Fly Pie” much less sampled it…

Now… when I was a boy on the farm…

homemade buttered with real butter soda biscuits with molasses was the go to desert when Grandma didn’t have time to do better or we were short on honey…

Shoo Fly Pie sounds close to ‘dat…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tractor57
    Participant

My maternal grandpa made molasses and with 14 kids my grandma always had biscuits on the table under the tablecloth. Molasses or honey your choice. Plus baked sweet potatoes (old cold tater) always there.

YogiNC
    Participant

REAL close. My grandma’s biscuits and cane syrup, fried chicken, crowder peas, corn, sliced cukes and maters, okra and plenty of sweet tea, and her Coconut Cake with 7 minute frostin’ for desert! THAT was a meal. Seen many a fight over that last biscuit or drum stick. She had a huge kitchen and dinning room with a table that could seat 20. You were in tall cotton when ya got to sit at the “big table” for Sunday dinner. Ain’t no meal no place that ever topped that. If that table isn’t in Heaven and I get there I have to admit I might be a bit disappointed.

Smarter than the average bear

tractor57
    Participant

Yogi when my mom’s family got together it was 50 or so with a table loaded with all sorts of good food. Pleasant memories.

Packster
    Participant

The Carolina Stockyard in Siler City (watch the cows, then eat your burger)
    Carolina Fried Chicken in Robbins (Friendliest hole in the wall, Huge selection)
    Razoo’s Cajun Cafe in Concord (Most authentic cajun food in NC)
    Graham Soda Shop in Graham (best cheese burgers on the I-85 corridor)
    El Mocajete in Sanford (Made from scratch Mexican)
    Lexington BBQ in Lexington (BBQ Baby! Killer restaurant!)
    Snappy Lunch in Mt. Airy (hamburger steak with a NC touch)
    Rudino’s in Hope Mills (best fries around)
    Sizzlin’ Steak and Eggs in Aberdeen (best breakfast)
    Barry’s Cafe in Raleigh (best hand patted burgers in Raleigh)
    America’s Roadhouse in Asheboro (Stuff yourself)

Just to name a few.

McCallum
    Participant

Name, place location please

Packster,

I’ve been to most of the places you listed.

I’m surprised Carolina Fried Chicken is still open in Robbins. I wrote a parody of dean smith stopping up the toilet there for Carolinasucks.com around 15 years ago.

McCallum

*skip the American Roadhouse in Asheboro and go to Henry James on old Hwy 220.

McCallum
    Participant

Chuckwagon in Carthage on 24/27

Burgers for $1.00, hotdogs for $0.75

Look out for uncircumcised Presbyterians.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

OK! We go MO on Molasses… I’m surprised nobody’s picked up on the other 2/3 of that equation…
    ‘real butter’
    ‘soda biscuits’…

Now… I got questions for ya’ll…

Back in the day…
    Granddaddy kept a five gallon bucket of BLACKSTRAP on the backporch…

Stuff looked like used motor oil except thicker than wet swamp dirt…

Where can you buy THAT — not the imitation stuff — today?
    and…
    What’s the origin of Black Strap — I always just figured it had something to do with the Mule that walked around in circles all day to make the stuff… but what do I know?

I’m using a food grade organic dark Molasses from Malt Products in some ag-nutrient products I make – Brix=60% +/-, but it ain’t the same…. but it does taste good….

POP!

YogiNC
    Participant

Mc, My grandma’s was THE darn BEST place to eat. The fact that it is not germaine to a public place to eat is of no consequence. As Sheriff Buford T Justice would say “The damn German’s got nothin’ to do wit it. (Smokey and the Bandit…1977).

YogiNC
    Participant

BOTB, my great granddaddy had an old mule and what they called a juicer. Smashed their own sugar cane and made their own molasses and cane syrup. Been 55 years since I saw that thing turn. Was sittin’ here thinking what the BEST thing I ever ate was. Has to be my grandma’s pear preserves and butter in her biscuits. I could tear up a full pan of biscuits with that stuff.

McCallum
    Participant

Fist Full of Dollars

Frying bacon

whiskey and water

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Yogi…

Gee
    Haw
    Cumup
    Gohead
    Moanback

Goto ‘daBarn…

That’s all the vocabulary you need with a good Mule…

and if the rest of ya’ll don’t have a clue… you don’t know what you’ve missed….

POP!!!

rthomas44
    Participant

Dad had a mule, bought in ’62. Spend most of her time trying to escape the pasture. I could Hitch her up and mostly used a “mule sweep”. I prefer herbicide.
    Capt Bills Backyard Grill..market St. Wilmington NC.
    The BBQ is excellent but so are the burgers and seafood.

BassPacker
    Participant

El Mocajete in Sanford (Made from scratch Mexican)

You guys must been really hungry that day. Before it was a Mexican restaurant it was an old run down Pantry no id was ever required and always had JOB 1 1/4 in stock. Only way anyone finds that place got lost or in town work related with Static Control.

As a kid, my grandma would always make pear preserves. For lunch during putin tobacco, We would have peanut butter sandwiches with the pear syrup so thick on it the bread would be wet. Never ate the actual pears, just the syrup. She also made homemade molasses. Remember my grandma said what made it so good was she would poke her finger in the biscuits to make a hole for the lasses….MMMMmmmm good memories.

ryebread
    Participant

Shoo Fly Pie is pretty tasty stuff, particularly if heated and topped with vanilla ice cream. I like mine “thicker” than most people make with less molasses and more of the crumbs mixed in. I had one one time that had chocolate chips in the crumb layer, and that was absolutely delicious (not traditional, but maybe the best variation I’ve had).

I think we can all agree that our grandmothers’ kitchens were pretty special places. I was blessed by two that could really cook. If there’s a heaven, I hope it consists of our families sitting around those tables.

choppack1
    Participant

Grandma’s and their cooking. I can dig it.

Regarding snappy lunch…they have one thing to eat and one thing only – pork chop sandwich.

McCallum
    Participant

The pork chop sandwich at Snappy sucks.

La Cava-downtown Salisbury NC

Northern Italian in nature. Expect to dine for at least 1 1/2 hours. If you want it faster take your sorry cul de sac a$$es to Olive Garden

McCallum

saigonwolf
    Participant

The pork chop sandwich at Snappy sucks.

La Cava-downtown Salisbury NC

Northern Italian in nature. Expect to dine for at least 1 1/2 hours. If you want it faster take your sorry cul de sac a$$es to Olive Garden

I must agree to all of this.

Born and raised in Mt. Airy. Snappy ain’t all that – has turned into a tourist attraction more than a place to get good food.

The last time I went to church at La Cava, I ate so much my stomach couldn’t take it. I mean that in a good way, relative to La Cava, but was a bad way, relative to me.

Also agree with McCallum’s comments here and on other threads regarding the “Honey Monk” in Lexington. I wouldn’t be surprised if our paths have crossed on more than one occasion over the years, but certainly not recently. I’m pretty far off those beaten tracks now.

choppack1
    Participant

I last had the pork chop sandwich (two of them) @ snappy in early 2000. It was really good…now, it was not as good as cheese steaks in Philly, muffaletta from New Orleans central grocery, Katz deli pastrami.

Heelh8r
    Participant

I got two from back home in Nashville. I hope I don’t have to explain NC, not TN.

Doug Sauls BBQ & Seafood. This is the original, old school, REAL BBQ. Great fried chicken. All the expected sides plus things like black eyed peas, collards, cabbage, yams…And the seafood is just as good. Trout is my favorite. Pro tip: order the child’s plate. It has one huge piece of fish plus two sides, and will save you $2 off the regular $7.95!

The other is Oak Level Cafe on the other side of town. Breakfast includes REAL country ham and red eye gravy, REAL fatback, REAL link sausage like back in the day, eggs regular or sausage, grits regular or cheesy, corned beef hash and biscuits…you can get all this and more on the buffet but you just point what you want and they load the plate for you.

This thread got started out just on the right foot when BotB recommended Atlanta Hwy Seafood in Gainesville. Who knew? I googled it and it is 33 miles from the house. I am so excited, and plan a visit before the year hits 2018.

tractor57
    Participant

I’m waiting for Snooks’s BBQ (near Advance, NC) to reopen after a fire. Ugly place it was but the food (BBQ and southern cooking) was top notch. Hopefully coming back in Jan 2018.

44rules
    Participant

Heel hater, I moved away from Gainesville a few years back and don’t remember that place. I wonder if any of the spots I mentioned above still exist. Of course, I was too poor to eat out at places that cost more than 10 bucks.

Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy. Mao Zedong

highstick
    Participant

Bill, Shoo Fly Pie Breakfast Lunch or Dinner

Absolutely, one of my military roommates was from Reading, PA and I have loved shoe fly pie since then. Had some at one of the Amish “buffets” a couple of years ago coming back through PA from Cape Cod.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

highstick
    Participant

Here’s you difference in black strap molasses, Bill. I remember those very well…

Blackstrap molasses is the dark, viscous molasses that remains after maximum extraction of sugar from raw sugar cane. It has the consistency of a thick syrup, as the third boiling of sugar syrup yields blackstrap molasses. This concentrated byproduct is left over after the sugar’s sucrose has been crystallized.

They were so thick, I never really liked them. I used to put Grandma’s on pancakes.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

freshmanin83
    Participant

If you are ever in Denver try Westerkamps Steakhouse and Meat Market. You are not going there for the steaks you are going for the green chili. Order whatever you want from the menu just be sure they smoother it in the green chili. I recommend the Mondo Burrito but to each his own.

Don’t try Sunday they are closed.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 180 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.