"Cupcake" Georgia Southern is now 8-2

Home Forums StateFans Football "Cupcake" Georgia Southern is now 8-2

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

The amount of discussion and the number of posters here seems to have declined, which is really too bad.

I have noticed the same and I am really curious as to why. I’ve been a poster here for nearly a decade.

YogiNC
    Participant

I’ll tell you why wp, the incessant large amount of negativity. The Bitch1ing and whining just becomes too much to deal with. There’s enough of that crap in real life. I get tired of those who continually have nothing but bad to say about EVERYTHING! And this thread is the perfect example. Someone posted how well that team was doing and immediately the nay sayers and the whiners started belittling them. Ga Southern has a tradition of excellence AND they have the records to prove it. And I don’t care if you are playing pee wee ball if you have the record they have it is considered excellence.

I for one feel they should be commended on their striving to move up a level AND that even though they may not be up to SEC level of competition they’ve done a pretty good job of holding their own during their first year. When it comes right down to it the ACC teams they have played haven’t blown them off the field this year, as a matter of fact State and Tech struggled to beat them.

I find it is far too easy in this medium to find fault AND to bring others down. Things are said here that would never be said to someone to their face, and that to me makes those who would hide behind this curtain pretty chicken $H!T if you ask me.

Smarter than the average bear

GoPack83
    Participant

I’m late to the argument but I equate the Ga Southern game in football this year to the NCCU bball game last year. If we lose its an embarrassing lost not because of the skill of the opponent but because of their name and lack of top tier athletic success (sorry yogi but I don’t think any Michigan fans gave a crap about how many national titles App St had in 2007, and feel free to crucify me for comparing us to Michigan). A win in this situation is simply a plus in that we were able to avoid a crippling (morale-wise) loss and take a step both in progressing as a team and towards bowl eligibility. It was great to win but i wouldn’t necessaryily call it a “good win”.

YogiNC
    Participant

Sorry Gopack but Ga Southern is not the same as NCCU, not even close. I’m not crucifying anyone but rather telling those who are blasting their record to look it up. App St had a good run for a few years but Ga Southern has been excellent for a LONG time, not in terms of years but DECADES. Going into that game I was hoping we’d win, and we just did, and for good reason. Ask Ga Tech how good they are, I bet that bunch would call them a quality win. I think it is pompous, to the level of “the carolina way”, to demean that program in light of their achievements. I’d wager a lot of money that if you’d ask coaches about that team you’d get a vast difference of opinion than what this thread has produced. Tell you what, go to the DD radio show this week and ask him if he’d put that one in the quality win category. Presby and USF, nope, GSU, HECK YES.

Wulfpack
    Participant

The facts are that Georgia Southern is a 3 loss team leading the Sun Belt. They lost by a wide margin to the juggernaut that is Navy yesterday. You can call the win whatever you would like to call it. But that is what they are this season.

YogiNC
    Participant

Belittling and negativity, that’s the facts. I rest my case.

Wulfpack
    Participant

No, those are just the facts. There is nothing in there untrue. Facts, sir.

YogiNC
    Participant

The arrogance is one thing, the ignorance another,

foose said it best. You are both.

Wufpacker
    Participant

YogiNC
    Participant

Wulfpack, you should change your screen name. Think about this, by belittling a team that State beat AND a win that helped make us bowl eligible (which btw is a big plus for the program in numerous ways), and that many view a positive win, you are in effect belittling State. THAT is the part you do not recognize, AND THAT is the part I’m tired of. This is supposed to be a site that SUPPORTS NC State athletics, instead there has been a shift by a large number to want to tear it down! And your demeaning of every win on our schedule demeans the team as a whole. If you don’t want to support NCSU I think you should GO SOMEWHERE ELSE! This is supposed to be State FANS Nation.

GoPack83
    Participant

The fact is that those achievements, while impressive, came in a different division of college football. The past 10 years they are 1-10 against FBS teams not in the SunBelt. And I highly doubt that with 6 wins over ACC teams, including a ranked Clemson team, any Of the Georgia Tech bunch would call that their quality win.

GoPack83
    Participant

There is a difference in belittling every win we have and being the counter argument to someone who wants to throw a parade for beating Ga Southern.

Wulfpack
    Participant

What I did was present an objective counter argument. If you want to continue to call me names, go right ahead. But I’m not going to do the same.

YogiNC
    Participant

First, I have not thrown a parade, but I did try to inform those who I felt were being derisive of a program that I know to be a top notch program, AND at the same time to minimize the derisiveness towards State. that within itself has gotten under my skin lately. And wulf, if you felt I was calling you names I apologize, I was describing what I perceived as a mindset. As one who has probably been a State fan 20 years longer than you or GoPack have been alive I’m tending lately to have exception with those who want to wear that hat without earning the stripes. To me there is a shift way too much to the walmart variety of fans on here. I have always felt, maybe wrongly, that State fans tend to be truer than those of a lesser school to the west. And trust me, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen many more hills and valleys than either one of you, it’s why I say “if you don’t like where the bus is going you’re welcome to get off at the next stop, otherwise just sit and enjoy the ride as best as you can because you ain’t driving the bus”.

GoPack83
    Participant

At no point have I been derisive of state. I am merely stating that while I am proud of our team for winning, I do not believe a home win against Ga Southern constitutes a “quality win” in my book. How have I not earned my stripes? Been a state fan since birth, never wavered in my commitment, held strong through the Les days, attended and graduated as a student athlete. Is there some sort of initiation I should know about? I haven’t seen national championships or ACC championships for that matter (in bball in football). My fanhood has been tested more than yours.

pakfanistan
    Participant

relax

C’mon guys, can’t we all just relax and bask in the warm embrace of being bowl eligible.

Greywolf
    Participant

They have a nice program but don’t make them out to be what they aren’t.

And this was the point of the original post — many were (and still are) making GSU out to be a cupcake. They aren’t. They’re not a powerhouse or anything like that. And the post didn’t even hint that they were. Just that they were not a cupcake.

If there was a hidden agenda, it was that State did well to beat them. Any team that was 3-9 previously would be doing well to beat an FBS team that was 8-2. As has been pointed out the apparent point in calling GSU a “cupcake” is to put down our team — to diminish the accomplishment of beating a team that has proven themselves a worthy OOC opponent. Not a powerhouse but a good team never-the-less.

I compared how GSU was doing in its conference with how Alabama, etc., was doing in their conference. ‘Troll said he was ‘lmao’ for my comparing the Sunbelt conference with the SEC. Either ‘Troll has a reading disorder OR he deliberately twisted my words. Either way I have no interest in this kind of exchange. I use ‘Troll as an example. His is not an isolated incident. This may explain the lessening of SFN readership and comments.

It’s one thing to debate, another entirely different matter to be the subject of the sort of thing pointed to in the above paragraph. I’ve enjoyed good, respectful debates with Rye, foose, Yogi and others (there are so many combinations of Wuf, Pak, etc., I can’t keep them straight LOL). I’ve learned a lot about football in general and State football in particular from those guys and of course The COWDOG, although I worry about Mr. DOG because we rarely disagree. 😉

I often disagree with some of the content of the lead post. I’m not inclined to let a few factual points carry non-fact based points, hints and sometimes insinuations. Likewise if someone takes the darker side of a gray fact and that side puts State down, you can just about count on my taking the lighter side of gray. I know I’ve pissed off more than a few doing just that. I’ve been told I am caustic at times and believe it or not I try to keep my comments, if not cordial then more civil.

If any mod is reading this, I would offer one suggestion: if possible create a way to “ignore” other posters.
    This would allow the negative nancies to ignore what I have to say — just skip right over it and could keep posters, such as foose, around for others such as myself to enjoy.

Greywolf
    Participant

I do not believe a home win against Ga Southern constitutes a “quality win” in my book.

’83, How did protestations that GSU is not a cupcake turn to claims of a “quality win?” This kind of thoughtless comment creates an argument that isn’t there in the first place.

Having said that, I would have to take the side that it IS a “quality win.” Maybe not for many teams but in the context of a team fighting to climb back from a 3-9 season and become bowl eligible, it is a quality win. (The Supreme Court has ruled that “context is decisive”) In a different context a win over GSU would NOT be a quality win, however, in the context of NC State’s current rebuild the GSU win is a “quality win.” 😉

C’mon guys, can’t we all just relax and bask in the warm embrace of being bowl eligible.

sarcasm alert — How can we bask in the warm embrace of being bowl eligible when we didn’t beat FSU, Clemson, Louisville and GT to get there? Don’t piss down my leg and tell ME it’s raining.

Paki, While I’m pleased to be bowl eligible, the “Get off my lawn” folks will be here shortly to point out how THEY have no interest (ironic that with no interest they would comment) in watching 6-6 teams and certainly not lower themselves to bask in the warm embrace of such a low-life achievement. And it doesn’t matter what damn uniforms they wear, just win! Who cares whether the players have fun or not, just win!

YogiNC
    Participant

My fanhood has been tested more than yours.

LOL, while I will give you that you have experienced more valleys than hills. I will also say for those of us who have seen the mountain top it makes it that much harder to be down in the valley. My first experience was riding 3.5 hours to the Dixie Classic when I was 6 and I was hooked, and have worn Red & White ever since. That’s almost 60 years being a fan, so by virtue of time I feel some of us old timers wear a few more “stripes”. And pardon me in advance for this one but I also tend to see us old timers having a slightly different view on being a fan in that we tend to overlook some of the short comings of the program. I may be wrong in this assumption but I’d be willing to bet I’m not the only one from the “senior group” that sees a large contingent of cynicism in the younger crowd. Sorry if that’s the case and I just tend to call it out when I see it. However I will never apologize for being a die hard Pack fan and defending what I consider derision of my team. Some would refer to that as loyalty to the cause. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

YogiNC
    Participant

BTW Grey, this is my favorite version of that verse:
    A fool does not delight in understanding, but only wants to show off his opinions.

Greywolf
    Participant

My first experience was riding 3.5 hours to the Dixie Classic when I was 6

Yogi, your just a pup! In my “Christmas Stocking” when I was 13 was a book of tickets to the first Dixie Classic. I had to walk a couple of miles to get there and back. I don’t know how long I’ve been a State fan but it had to have been a pretty long time for my mother to spend that kind of money (that context thing again) on a book of tickets. My seat was on the next to the top row in one of the extreme northern end sections. My eyes were young enough then that I could see all the way to the court. I didn’t know any better and sat in that seat through every game.

Later in HS I sold cokes in Reynolds — when I wasn’t watching the games. During the intermission between games you could make some real good change for a HS student. Cut my hand once and just sat their while the State fans opened bottles, poured the cokes, collected money and made change. Not one cynical bastard in the crowd. I promised myself when I ever grew up I would be that kind of fan.

I’m with you on nearly everything you write about being a loyal State fan — can’t think of a thing I disagree with. I grew up watching State football in old Riddick Stadium. “Stadium.” That’s a joke! I remember having to travel to Brokeback Hill to play our “home games” with the holes. I got my first football season tickets in Carter Stadium the year it opened. Four tickets and 4 kids tickets every year for years. I lost my 50 yard line tickets and now have 2 in the NEZ. Look at the panoramic photo. You’ll see me standing near the top looking up to my left at the score board.

Enough of the nostalgic reminiscing. I’m going over to another board and read me some “Great Unpleasantness” news. 😉

GoPack83
    Participant

I understand that this was posted to address the fact that this win wasn’t the cupcake many of us, or just me apparently, thought it would be when we saw the OOC come out a while back. But when you start comparing teams and claiming them to be contenders in the power 5 conferences then the term quality win comes into play (I don’t believe it was by you grey but the tone of the thread seemed to be headed that way). And yogi I apologize if offended you but the simple fact of you being older than me does not mean I am not just as big of a fan as you. I continue to and will continue to support state unconditionally but it would be nice to be rewarded with one conference championship in my lifetime.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I continue to and will continue to support state unconditionally but it would be nice to be rewarded with one conference championship in my lifetime.

There’s a possibility we’d have at least two more conference championships if it weren’t for the cheating guys down the road. Our situation is mostly, but not completely, of our own making.

YogiNC
    Participant

Never said you weren’t as big a fan, just that I had seniority, and that should count for something. I’ve been there, done that, for longer is all. And no one that I’ve read said GSU was as good as … in the power 5. By the same token when you look at their body of work over the years in their division they have been as good as it gets. No one said they would be in the top 25, BUT they are not the typical team that moves up to FBS. That team is REALLY good for where they are today. They don’t have their full complement of scholarships yet and yes the Sun Belt isn’t a power 5 but mark my word, I’ve been familiar with that team for over 40 years (lived in their neck of the woods in the mid 70s) they are going to be a team that anyone who plays them will have to bring their A game. They are the real deal when you look at teams that consistently are winners. I felt the remarks were derogatory to their body of work and to their level of competition not only through the years but this year also, and I took exception to it. Whether this group knows it or not foose knows football and he knew just as much about this team as I do. Whether you feel they were a quality win or not is a matter of opinion, but if you make a judgement I think it should be an informed judgement. I felt they were getting dissed because no one knew anything about them (which has more truth to it than any other explanation IMO) and felt they were just a wanna be.

pakfanistan
    Participant

So, you’re saying there might be a middle ground between ‘cupcake’ and top 25, where a team might be a tough out, but not a contender?

I dunno man, sounds flimsy.

</s>

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.