Could Dennis Smith Jr. play this year (2015-16)?

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Could Dennis Smith Jr. play this year (2015-16)?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    WallyB
    Participant

If DSJr. graduates in December, enrolls at State in January and rehabs well – could he suit up for us in January, February and March (and April – fingers crossed)? I haven’t seen this addressed anywhere.

If he plans to leave 1-3 years of eligibility left on the table at the end of his college career, then what does it hurt him to get half a season in now? It would benefit him and the rest of the team to have a reliable backup PG this season. Plus he’d get more reps with ACC-caliber competition before Cat (likely) leaves after this season.

All of this hinges on the speed of his rehab, but does anyone else think this is possible?

redisgood
    Participant

That’s a very long long shot. He tore his ACL mid-August, and the absolute stretch recovery time is six months, which would be mid-February. I would say a more realistic recovery is nine months with another three to get back in game shape. So in my opinion, he won’t hit the court in earnest until August.

BJD95
    Keymaster

If he could be a 5-10 mpg backup for tourney play…that alone would be worthwhile. Interesting thought. Dunno how feasible or wise it would be. But I like outside the box stuff!

MCG95
    Participant

I’d love to see this happen if he is healthy. PG is certainly our most vulnerable position.

I really hope Cat doesn’t follow the lead of recent Wolfpack players leaving too early, as you suggest.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Dude has a child, is a junior, and is tearing shit up. This is as good as he gonna get, he would be foolish not to go pro after this season. I’m certain that all parties involved (including MG and DSJ) know the score on that front, too.

StateFans
    Keymaster

Was wondering about this over the Thanksgiving break. Since there is little chance he would be staying for 4 years, then I don’t know why we WOULDN’T consider this (IF HE WERE HEALTHY). Don’t know anything about his health.

The key for our season will continue to be how well we can do/how we can hold on with Terry Henderson injured. If we can get into conference season with just 2 losses it would be a miracle and we are clearly an NCAA Tournament team. If we can do it with 3 (maybe 4 losses) then we have a chance.

redisgood
    Participant

I agree. Keep it respectable until Henderson gets back. We will then have another talented all around player to put in the lineup, and a much improved Rowan to boot. As long as the refs continue to enforce the no contact rule, Cat should continue to put up big numbers. Freeman will be healthy by January too. The missing pieces right now are consistency from Abu and Beejay. I think getting DSJ in there later in the season is probably not going to happen, but what a bonus that would be!

pakfanistan
    Participant

It’ll probably be at least six months since surgery before he’s ready to play, which would be early February. I don’t think he plays unless there’s a drastic need.

Rick
    Keymaster

I have not seem enough in Henderson to know if he makes a big difference.

WallyB
    Participant

So I guess my wild theory is dead. Per Coach Gottfried after the VT game:

[Dennis Smith] is not going to play this year. He’s in school, and we’re going to utilize the fact that he enrolled to get him ready for next year with all the rehab, but he’s not going to play this year. That’s something we’re not even going to consider.

Post-Game Interview

Ah well…

BJD95
    Keymaster

Our chances of meaningful March basketball are as dead as Bill Cosby’s endorsement career anyway.

But hey, you got MG to answer your question!

MCG95
    Participant

I don’t understand him completely ruling it out right now, particularly since Dennis Smith is likely not a 4 year guy. As BJD95 said though, likely not meaningful March unless we see improvement soon (can Henderson help change the trajectory?). That reality should not be acceptable at NCSU, though.

Living now in Georgia, the biggest beef with Richt was “lack of a sense of urgency”. This is what bugs me most about Gott. He just seems a little apathetic on the outcome – he always talks about how his guys need to learn to play harder as we consistently have these poor early season losses, but I don’t see the fire to win coming from the coach. If they aren’t playing hard, then go deep into the bench to much less talented guys and let the guys know, play hard or enjoy your seat on the bench.

Tau837
    Participant

Living now in Georgia, the biggest beef with Richt was “lack of a sense of urgency”. This is what bugs me most about Gott. He just seems a little apathetic on the outcome – he always talks about how his guys need to learn to play harder as we consistently have these poor early season losses, but I don’t see the fire to win coming from the coach.

I agree with this. I like Gott in general, but this seems like valid criticism.

redisgood
    Participant

Watching Gott on the sidelines each game, I have to disagree with that. Maybe he tones down his post game comments, but during the game he’s as intense a coach as there is. Just ask any of the players or refs he’s ripping in to. Sometimes it looks like his head will explode.

Regarding DSJ, I’m glad we have a coach that won’t let him on the court until he’s fully healed. A lot of coaches (Fedora) wouldn’t do that.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Watching Gott on the sidelines each game, I have to disagree with that. Maybe he tones down his post game comments, but during the game he’s as intense a coach as there is. Just ask any of the players or refs he’s ripping in to. Sometimes it looks like his head will explode.

I agree, but I have to wonder if it’s not there at other times.

Commitment, priorities, and consistency from coaches is reflected in players. Perception is just that, perception, so I could be wrong, but…

From where I sit, a simple stare from Coach K elicits more of a response from his players than a Coach Gott court side rip into his.

That’s not from random happenstance.

That’s from where my biggest issues with Gott come.

redisgood
    Participant

I agree with you on that. I get the impression his passion and drive isn’t the same as in the 1st couple years.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.