College football playoff preview show

Home Forums All StateFansNation College football playoff preview show

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

You can click here for more broad topical conversation on both college football and college basketball. I thought some folks might be interested in so
    [See the full post at: College football playoff preview show]

Wulfpack
    Participant

While I know that the weekly release of these rankings make for interesting television, I haven’t yet understand why so many people spend a lot of time on them.

I understand that sentiment, but unlike the basketball tourney, we’re only talking about 4 teams that “make it”. The weekly releases provide at least a glimpse of the thinking of the committee in terms of what they hold to be the most important factors. It may play itself out on the field, or it may not. We could very well end up with 3 or 4 teams that have a legitimate argument for the 4th spot. Right now that could be Baylor, TCU, Miss State and Ohio State. It will likely be a close call and that is the charge of the committeee.

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

I completely and totally disagree about the playoffs. I like them already and hope that it eventually expands to eight teams.

I’m sick and tired of the beauty contests that are polls and even the old BCS. The old-guard favorites will always have a leg up on the other schools. Imagine, for example, that Alabama, Notre Dame and NC State were all undefeated after the conference championship games. ND and State had played very similar quality teams and to all intents and purposes, you could tell a nickle’s difference between the two. In the old BCS and/or poll system, Notre Dame would be picked to play for the national title every single time. Why? Because they’re Notre Dame.

That’s why four teams is good, and eight — the power 5 conference champions and three at large teams — is best. It eliminates the mid-east bias, the east coast bias and idiot Assistant Sports Information Directors voting in the coaches’ polls and determining the national title.

Plus it makes for three instead of only one compelling bowl game. The rest are exhibitions that don’t matter. More high level college football that DOES matter is better in my view.

Wufpacker
    Participant

^ Agreed. It wasn’t widely called the MNC for nothing.

There will always be arguments about who the 4th (or 8th, or 16th) team should be and one can argue that the system isn’t perfect. And it’s not. Hell, we still argue about who the last four in/out are in a 68 team field in March. But it’s better than it was and it will be even better when the number of teams is expanded.

Wulfpack
    Participant

The argument for who is 4th carries much more weight than for example who your last couple at larges are in the basketball tourney. You are 2 games away from a national title. I mean it is a pretty big deal.

I don’t see the football playoff expanding beyond 8 teams. The season does have to end and your talking about 3 more games on top of the regular season. Maybe you eliminate a non-conference game or two, but I’m not sure that is necessarily fair to the masses. Don’t get me wrong I am all for more meaningful games especially as we near the holidays.

WTNY
    Participant

That’s why four teams is good, and eight — the power 5 conference champions and three at large teams — is best.

Agree except I would make it:
    P5 conf champs + best non-P5 + 2 at-large

Greywolf
    Participant

^
    What AW and the others said.

This part is for my own entertainment. Someday, one day I’d like to see the playoffs system evolve to 4 power conferences with 16 teams (2 divisions). To satisfy the second level teams left out, have some sort of relegation/promotion system to drop the weaker teams from and add stronger teams to the 4 power conferences.

Play a 12 game schedule ending in November (13 weeks), after an open date, play a conference championship game (2nd Sat. in Dec.). The conference champions then compete for the national title — the semis between Christmas and New Years and 2 weeks later the NC game in Jan. In the 12 game schedule require 2 interdivisional games (that don’t count towards division championships) and 3 inter-conference games also not counting in determining Div championships. No cupcakes.

If ND wants to participate, let them join an effing conference. While I’m at it, I’d drop Eweniversity of North Carolina from ACC and let them pursue their wanted status in the Ivy League. Move Miami and FSU to the SEC to round out their 16 teams. Penn State, ND and unfortunately MD & UConn and perhaps The Boilsermakers to fill out the ACC.

This pretty much screws everybody else out of the chance to compete for the NC since most of your really good players who want to be involved in big time college football will be joining the Power 4 teams.

StateFans
    Keymaster

How Mississippi State could miss the college football playoff at 11-1

Pretty interesting thinking…and, I don’t necessarily disagree with it.

Mississippi State, at 11-1 with a reasonable loss to Bama, appeared to be a slam dunk heading into last weekend. But, that was before LSU, Texas A&M and Auburn lost.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

There was a big difference in SOS between what was shown last night and what Sagarin calculates for TCU. On Sagarin, there is not much difference between Miss St and TCU…but not on what the committee is using.

I suspect that Ohio St’s SOS will tumble over the next two weeks after playing Indiana and Michigan. Hopefully, the Big 10 championship game won’t be enough to pull them into serious contention.

Baylor vs TCU is an interesting discussion. But for me, the interesting point is that the committee doesn’t seem to be paying as much attention to the head-to-head results as the talking heads. Shocking huh?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.