College Football Playoff Contenders

Home Forums StateFans Football College Football Playoff Contenders

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Michigan State nails down its meeting with Iowa with an easy win over Penn State. Winner moves on to the playoff. The win effectively eliminates Ohio State, who torched the fighting Harbaughs today.

Clemson escapes in Columbia with a 5 point win over South Carolina. Tigers have not been sharp of late and get the red hot Tar Heels in Charlotte Saturday night. Win and in.

Alabama gets by Auburn. Tide meet the Gators next week in Atlanta. Win and in.

Notre Dame and Stanford tied in the first quarter.

Oklahmoma State and Oklahoma now. Sooners win and likely in.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Stanford knocks ND out with a last second field goal.

Oklahoma whipping Okie State.

Things are all lined up.

BJD95
    Keymaster

The last open question is whether Stanford would bypass tOSU if Clemson (vomit) or Alabama (hard to see how, Florida isn’t really even Top 25-caliber, in all honesty) screws the pooch next week.

They SHOULD, based on the pro-league champions “thumb on the scales” factor in the playoff by-laws, but we shall see.

Think it takes a triple pooch screwing (including a Stanford loss to USC) before Darkest Timeline activates, no matter how hard Mike Patrick gets thinking about it.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I don’t see much of a path for UNC. I suppose they could potentially get in of all that happened, but they would really have to put it on Clemson to leap frog Ohio State (they would leap Stanford). The committee has shown they will play leap frog Olympics at this late stage.

Boomer Sooner is in. Bama will beat Florida easily. Iowa/Sparty winner goes. So one spot is up for grabs IF Clemson were to lose.

Texpack
    Participant

Houston is way better than the holes. They don’t/won’t get credit from the committee but it would be a no contest between the Coogs and the holes. They will also have more quality wins than UNC-CHeat even if they were to beat Klempsun

FergusWolf
    Participant

Mark this post, as it is the gospel…

If the holes beat the Tigers, they WILL be in the CFP, this will be the NCAA rewarding them to make up for the penalties they will be forced to endure once the heels win the ncaa tournament.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Updated playoff rankings heading into Championship Saturday:

1. Clemson
    2. Bama
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Iowa
    5. Michigan State
    6. Ohio State
    7. Stanford
    8. Notre Dame
    9. FSU
    10. UNC

Wulfpack
    Participant

Bottom line:

Oklahoma punched its ticket to the playoff with win over Okie State last week.

Clemson, Bama and Iowa/MSU winner are in with a win.

A Clemson or Bama loss puts Ohio State, Stanford (assuming they beat USC Saturday), and UNC (if they beat Clemson) in play.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Holes have to beat Clempsom by at least two touchdowns…
    otherwise, the Noles stand between them and the promised land…

which against all odds would make a pretty good Peach Bowl combo… Noles & Holes, wings & thighs, legs & breasts… etc, etc, etc….

eat more chiken…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Wulfpack
    Participant

FSU is out of it, Bill. They don’t play this weekend. UNC would easily hop them with a win over the nation’s top ranked team. They’d hop Notre Dame, too. The question would be would they hop Stanford (who we assume beats USC) and Ohio State.

Remember, this committee has said it values conference champions. That would be tested under this scenario.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^… which explains perfectly why the CFP has the Noles ranked #9 and the Holes #10….

nevertheless… Noles and Holes, wings and thighs, legs and breasts…. has a certain ring to it….

Wulfpack
    Participant

^… which explains perfectly why the CFP has the Noles ranked #9 and the Holes #10….

I’m saying that a win over the nation’s top ranked team would easily catapult them past an idle FSU and Notre Dame in the final ranking. I do not think they’d hop a winning Stanford or Ohio State, but it is certainly possible depending on how that game goes.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Wuf… I said…

if the Holes beat the Tigers by two touchdowns, then you’re right…
    if the Holes beat the Tigers by one point, then you’re wrong///

more or less…

Wulfpack
    Participant

You’re wrong. The point differential is of no consequence in this scenario. If UNC beats #1 by a point, they are moving up, past FSU, I will bet my house. How far they move up is anyone’s guess, and also depends on what Bama and Stanford do.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^How many bedrooms in that house and whaat’s the zipcode?

Wulfpack
    Participant

You’re nuts.

Hopefully, we’ll never know…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Does this mean your house is off the table?
    :>}

and you’re right… we’ll never know…

Tigers will take care of business.
    Holes couldn’t keep it up four quarters against us,
    no way in hell they play four against a good team…

Texpack
    Participant

The point differential will indeed matter for UNC-CHeat if they are being compared to Stanford for the 4th spot. I think Clemson and ‘Bama or Stanford have to lose for the Cheaters to get in. The committee won’t leave 2 P5 conference champions out SoCal would be the odd team out. Ole Miss is being pumped up in the rankings to provide cover for the Florida scenario.

Clemson’s performance against usc gives me great cause for concern.

The really big game this weekend is in HTown where the Coogs and the Owls battle for a berth in a NY6 game.

Wulfpack
    Participant

The point differential will indeed matter for UNC-CHeat if they are being compared to Stanford for the 4th spot.

Of course it would. But that’s not what Bill was alleging. He is saying if UNC only wins by 1, they won’t hop FSU. That’s bologna. The question everyone is asking is not whether they hop FSU and ND (both idle), it’s would they also hop Stanford and/or Ohio State. That’s the question. They will easily, easily hop FSU with a win over the nation’s top team all year. Easily.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Favorites hold serve so no chaos this year. Only question will be is does Bama jump Clemson for the top spot, who would draw four seed Michigan State? Oklahoma will be the three seed.

Clemson, to me, is still the best team. Undefeated and three top ten wins. But they did let UNC hang around way too long. Bama had no trouble with Florida.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I think they set it up so Bama and Oklahoma don’t play one another, because they want that for the title game (and they are likely the two best teams). I don’t see how anybody looks at Clemson yesterday (or how they have played starting with the FSU game) and is impressed at all.

My rankings:

1) Oklahoma
    2) Alabama
    3) Michigan State
    4) Clemson

Predicted Committee:

1) Alabama
    2) Oklahoma
    3) Clemson
    4) Michigan State

Yes, I think they will tweak it to get Saban vs. Dantonio as a guaranteed 1st round matchup, too.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Clemson still has not lost. Bama has a loss, and it’s not even really a good one. And I still think if Clemson and Bama meet, Clemson wins. Heck Oklahoma could surely beat Bama. Far better offense. I think the committee will keep it Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma and MSU.

BJD95
    Keymaster

For all the Condi Committee’s faults, they at least get one thing very right – they don’t worship at the altar of the undefeated (see FSU last year). Clemson hasn’t been any good at all since around mid-October. And they DO watch all the games, which doesn’t help their case.

Totally agree that Boomer Sooner beats Roll Damn Tide, perhaps badly.

I do think that one shootout (Okie/Clemson) and one slugfest (Sparty/Bama) is the most compelling teevee for the semis, and I bet they set it up that way. To be fair, they have pretty much complete latitude here. One can’t really cry foul however the teams are ordered. Everyone has flaws, and there certainly is nothing close to a dominant team this season.

I wish Stanford was in the playoff over Clemson, but not due to a Hole win. That would be the perfect foursome for me, I really like watching the McCaffrey kid play, in spite of David Shaw’s playcalling.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Still think Clemson is the best team in the country. Disagree about how poorly they’ve played. Always get the impression that they can mix in Watson in the run game when it’s a tight one, and that puts them over the edge. Bama and msu have what it takes to beat them-stout against the run and power run games. In an offensive shootout, I take Clemson over Oklahoma. Saban and dantonio get the edge as coaches.

Msu replaces Iowa. No other change in top 4.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I would understand it if Bama hops Clemson, I just think they are going to keep it the status quo. Clemson has been number 1 all year – I din’t think their performance last night relative to Bama’s changes anything. They’ve won them all, have more top ten wins, and I believe are the better team. We’ll see how it all shakes out.

As far as matchups, I don’t think MSU will have much of a shot against Clemson, Bama or Oklahoma. Not nearly enough offense.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.