College Football Playoff Contenders

Home Forums StateFans Football College Football Playoff Contenders

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Texpack
    Participant

They were saying last night that if ND wins out you wouldn’t be able to jump them. I just thought that was folly.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say there won’t be an undefeated Big 12 team. Backloaded schedules and they are going to knock each other out. Clemson and Ohio State will likely finish the regular season without a loss, so they will be in. Obviously Bama will be in assuming they win out. The fourth spot will be up for grabs.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

If the B12 doesn’t have an undefeated team, then ND will get the fourth spot if they win out. Go Stanford!!!

While I despise ND, the bright side if they win out is that they won’t be taking one of the ACC’s bowl games.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Stanford still has Oregon and Cal before Notre Dame. The Irish are hoping they win those.

Baylor has Oklahoma this week, then Okie State and TCU. Gauntlet.

Okie State has Iowa State this week followed by Baylor and Oklahoma.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Iowa is an interesting case. They have Minnesota, Purdue, and Nebraska (all likely wins). Then they get the Buckeyes in the championship. I think OSU will win that by 50.

Texpack
    Participant

I like the Pokes’ chances better than anyone else in the Big 12 because they are at home. As much as I will be pulling for tOSU to win out, I don’t think they will.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Okie State survives a scare at Iowa State. No major upsets yet. Clemson, Bama, Ohio State and Notre Dame win easily. Oklahoma and Baylor is must see tv. Love watching Big 12 ball this year. Also Oregon giving Stanford a game.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Oregon tops Stanford and Oklahoma beats Baylor.

If the Big 12 is going to get in, Oklahoma or Oklahoma State will have to run the table, AND one of the top four will have to lose.

Iowa gets by Minnesota as well.

Texpack
    Participant

Oregon tops Stanford and Oklahoma beats Baylor.

If the Big 12 is going to get in, Oklahoma or Oklahoma State will have to run the table, AND one of the top four will have to lose.

Iowa gets by Minnesota as well.

Disagree on the Big 12. 12-0 Pokes would get in over 11-1 Irish. Their best win so far is Temple who could easily end up with 3-4 losses. Stanford’s second loss last night hurts them as well.

The game of the night was Tom Herman using a third string QB (sound familiar) to overcome a 20 point fourth quarter deficit and remain perfect. #HTownTakeover.

Wulfpack
    Participant

If Notre Dame wins out that means they have a win over Stanford. That’s going to be enough to keep them there. It’ll be a moot point though because the Big 12 is just going to keep knocking each other out of the race.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Updated playoff rankings:

1. Clemson
    2. Bama
    3. Ohio State
    4. Notre Dame
    5. Iowa
    6. Oklahoma State

Texpack
    Participant

The cheats move up six spots by beating Miami and UH only moves up five after beating ranked Memphis

Wulfpack
    Participant

Sparty knocks off Ohio State with a last second field goal. That paves the way for Notre Dame. Big 12 winner with a good shot now. But watch out for Iowa.

Texpack
    Participant

Coogs perfect season comes to an end.

Go Pokes!

Wulfpack
    Participant

TCU up on Oklahoma early and Baylor tied with Okie State in a shootout. This is the doomsday scenario for the Big 12.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Correction – Baylor now up a score on the Cowboys. Scoring at will.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

It was always a real possibility that the B-12 would eat their own. I’m still pulling for the Cowboys.

With Ohio St going down, a one-loss Oklahoma team will definitely be in the playoff discussion. Head to head, I suspect that a one-loss Oklahoma would have a better resume than ND.

I would guess that a one-loss Ohio St that doesn’t play in the B-10 championship game is out of consideration.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I expect this week’s rankings to reflect:

1. Clemson
    2. Bama
    3. Notre Dame
    4. Iowa
    5. Michigan State
    6. Oklahoma or Okie State

Ohio State is likely toast as they are knocked out of the Big 10 Championship game. Iowa or Michigan State will keep the lead on the Buckeyes.

Wulfpack
    Participant

And keep in the back of your mind that the word is this committee really very much values the conference champions. That could definitely hurt Notre Dame as they will have one less opportunity to impress.

Wulfpack
    Participant

But remember, Notre Dame gets an opportunity to showcase itself against what will likely be a top 10 Stanford team next week. I think that is going to be enough to keep them in, especially if the Big 12 continues to knock themselves out.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Baylor is pouring it on in Stillwater, so it looks like it will be Oklahoma or bust for the Big 12.

Wulfpack
    Participant

With ND’s weak performance against BC, coupled with big victories for MSU and Oklahoma, I can see the committee moving Iowa to number three and throwing in Sparty or the Sooners at four.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I would guess that a one-loss Ohio St that doesn’t play in the B-10 championship game is out of consideration.

They wouldn’t get in without playing in the Big 10 Championship. Sparty locks the Big Ten East up with a win against Penn State. Ohio State would need Sparty to lose and they would need to beat rival Michigan to get in the game. Iowa is safely in from the West.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Updated playoff rankings:

1. Clemson
    2. Bama
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Iowa
    5. Michigan Stat
    6. Notre Dame

Wulfpack
    Participant

Iowa finishes the regular season unbeaten with a win at Nebraska. The Hawkeyes are going to be tough to leave out if they win the Big 10 Championship.

TCU outlasts Baylor in a wet and sloppy game, ending any hopes for the Bears.

Today we have:

Clemson/South Carolina
    Auburn/Alabama
    Oklahoma/Okie State
    Michigan State/Penn State
    ND/Stanford

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.